U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,763 times

Advertisements

We've been in Eldorado about 10 years and find it to be a very nice community, and the regulations do protect the night skies and eliminate junk accumulating as it does on properties in some locations in and around Santa Fe. We are not "joiners" but there are many opportunities in Eldorado to become involved in activities and meet people. Let's face it, you meet people by becoming involved; they don't show up at your doorstep (except for Seventh Day Adventists). There is a large art community in Santa Fe at all levels including museums and galleries; so many outdoor activities; good (perhaps not NYC or Chicago quality) restaurants and a multi cultural experience. I don't think it is true that one out of five people are millionaires; perhaps that is true in Las Campanas, other parts of the North side or East Santa Fe, but most folks in Santa Fe are lower to middle class. Housing prices are really no higher than many desirable cities; compare San Diego, Portland, Seattle, Denver-not really that much difference for comparable homes. I think you will enjoy Santa Fe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 761 times
Looking to possibly relocate to Eldorado. My wife & I visited 5 yrs ago and looked at some homes in Eldorado & really loved it. As we currently review the listings there appears to be certain streets that have 2 or more homes for sale. Are there problems with certain areas of Eldorado?

Old 10-26-2015, 08:21 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,094,980 times
I don't live in ElDorado, but we looked at homes there when we moved to Santa Fe almost two years ago. I'm not aware of any inside scoop that may be leading people to sell. That being said, the sales prices in ElDorado have increased quite a bit over the last year or so. This may be encouraging some who have been sitting on the sidelines to test the market.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:08 AM

25 posts, read 38,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZYBOY View Post
Looking to possibly relocate to Eldorado. My wife & I visited 5 yrs ago and looked at some homes in Eldorado & really loved it. As we currently review the listings there appears to be certain streets that have 2 or more homes for sale. Are there problems with certain areas of Eldorado?
I go out there to sometimes go on open houses as I frequent the store for my Sunday paper. For the most part, "blocks" in Eldorado are not like suburbia type blocks. Homes are widely spaced for most part. A lot of "open space".Except some of the older section like the various "verano streets"( "they" named streets the same then tag a rd., loop, way, etc after ) Some of those areas are abit denser.

I think its "just" happenchance that a certain "street" has 2 or more homes for sale...like maybe the idea to move is just in the air.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:11 PM

974 posts, read 2,229,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZYBOY View Post
The "problems" I see are primarily person-dependent. For instance, some parts of Eldorado do not have natural gas - so owners need to have propane delivered. Some parts are not on the Eldorado Water system, so are on shared wells. Some streets are not paved. Some are close to the schools and library and shopping, while others require a drive to those areas. Some are 5-7 minutes faster to Santa Fe. Some are further from the community center and its outdoor pool and tennis courts. You get the picture..... It all depends what you want and need. Eldorado has a very active real estate market currently. Home sales are up around 17% over last year, and prices are up around 4%. There are currently 10 homes under contract for prices between $245 - 465K, and 38 currently for sale between $180 - 675K, so a good amount to choose from at all different price points (but only that one at $179,900, the rest begin in the 200's). It's a popular area for folks who want some space, views, good schools, good food shopping and other conveniences, and good home values. Yet for some, being 15-20 minutes from town is a bit too far.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:49 PM

674 posts, read 1,386,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
The "problems" I see are primarily person-dependent. For instance, some parts of Eldorado do not have natural gas - so owners need to have propane delivered. Some parts are not on the Eldorado Water system, so are on shared wells. Some streets are not paved. Some are close to the schools and library and shopping, while others require a drive to those areas. Some are 5-7 minutes faster to Santa Fe. Some are further from the community center and its outdoor pool and tennis courts. You get the picture..... It all depends what you want and need. Eldorado has a very active real estate market currently. Home sales are up around 17% over last year, and prices are up around 4%. There are currently 10 homes under contract for prices between $245 - 465K, and 38 currently for sale between $180 - 675K, so a good amount to choose from at all different price points (but only that one at $179,900, the rest begin in the 200's). It's a popular area for folks who want some space, views, good schools, good food shopping and other conveniences, and good home values. Yet for some, being 15-20 minutes from town is a bit too far.
Funny you mention the extra distance from Santa Fe compared to other properties also within Eldorado. We are considering moving to the area next year, assuming our current house sells. Our search generally finds a number of Eldorado properties. And my wife immediately runs a Mapquest trip to Santa Fe and will nix something over an extra 5 minutes.

From talking to a realtor, I assumed the number of properties that popped up for sale in Eldorado (and some other areas) were due to an increase in sales, tempting people who wanted to see but sat on their hands during the slack time to put up the for sale sign. Same thing happened here.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:11 PM

974 posts, read 2,229,692 times
"I assumed the number of properties that popped up for sale in Eldorado (and some other areas) were due to an increase in sales, tempting people who wanted to see but sat on their hands during the slack time to put up the for sale sign. Same thing happened here." The Mule"

Well, it's interesting to note that the number of homes for sale when we compare the Jul-Sep quarter for last year vs. this year has actually gone down in Eldorado by 49%. For 2015, the number of homes in Eldorado for sale is down 18% just since January. So the number of homes for sale in Eldorado has gone down - not up. It's kind of counterintuitive - you'd think that with sales strong and prices rising more properties would be put on the market; instead, inventory is shrinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe