U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 PM

974 posts, read 2,210,418 times

Advertisements

Cabreado - There are numerous moderately-priced neighborhoods in town, and more have joined this group over the past few years due to the economic downturn. A knowledge of Spanish isn't necessary at all, but it's nice to know. In some parts of town you'll find folks who are more comfortable with Spanish over English.

Bajuli - Rentals generally will average $1 per square foot per month. There are many apartment complexes, homes to rent, etc. Yes, this is a very dog-friendly town. Safety can be a perception issue, e.g. some people don't feel safe around those who are "different" from them. On a factual level, some neighborhoods have higher crime rates than others; your best bet is to contact the county sheriff's department and ask for crime statistics for various parts of town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM

7 posts, read 10,755 times
Thanks to all for the informative posts. I love the possibility of Santa Fe being walkable. I can't live without a few miles a day.

Spanish in Santa Fe sounds kind of like my experience in general, in the US for several reasons it can be difficult to speak Spanish or the skill level of a speaker can be impaired. In this one regard, europe is much better.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM

55 posts, read 168,468 times
FWIW, there's a difference between a "walkable community" and a community that has places nearby where you can take walks.

For example: while Alamogordo doesn't have the cachet of Santa Fe, it is what I'd call a walkable community - the streets accommodate pedestrians and cyclists by design. There is common-sense traffic calming that makes crossing streets relatively safe. Anyone in Alamo can step outside his door and immediately commence to walking where he wants to go - there are sidewalks just about everywhere. Indeed, I see wheelchair-bound folks who are able to travel very safely from their residences to the markets not only via sidewalk, but on generous-sized shoulder lanes. For people who need them, there are benches at regular intervals on many streets for a walk break.

In Santa Fe, on the other hand, you can go to (drive to) nice parks and nice trails, but as for being able to safely and pleasantly walk or cycle in most parts of town? I haven't observed that to be the case in my visits there.

Just offering the distinction re: "walkable community" in case it's relevant to the conversation.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,102,300 times
In Santa Fe we park at our hotel/b&b and do not go back to the car until we leave Santa Fe. We walk and walk in that town. Now, I realize I am talking about the plaza/railroad and all of the inner Santa Fe. Although, I've walk to the Historic cemetary and to Traders joes, railroad from our b&b which is east of the plaza.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,293,458 times
Santa Fe is not a safe walkable city--but it is beautiful. I can't tell you how many times I've been gestured at, honked at, and almost run over when I walk at lunch (downtown area.) That's when I'm obeying the laws and crossing at crosswalks with the green light or four way stops. It's especially dangerous if I'm thinking about something else and automatically walk when I have the right-of-way. Been freaked out a couple of times with cars coming at me because they are in a hurry. One woman turned left right in front of me after I had entered the crosswalk and smiled and waved. I was too shocked to do what I would have liked to have done. Another time I was crossing with a group of kids that just got off the Rail Runner and the driver kept inching forward to turn right hoping we'd stop and let him go. There are many places there are no crosswalks and no one gets fined if they leave ice on the sidewalks. We have a bike trail that dumps you out on two major roads to get across without a light to stop traffic (Zia & St. Michaels.) And ya gotta watch out for the sidewalks that are uneven--my toe caught in an upheaved brick and down I went.

I thought it a joke city council was going to vote to increase jaywalking fines. They should be more concerned with the driver's not yielding the right of way to pedestrians. I wrote my city councilor that it's really safer to jaywalk than cross where driver's are suppose to stop for pedestrians. When I jaywalk I don't expect the car to give me the right-of-way so I'm more careful. Just once I'd like to see a driver get a ticket for scaring the heck out of me. In Seattle all you have to do is look like you're stepping into the street and the cars stop. That's a walkable city. Santa Fe is a beautiful town to walk around but be careful--pedestrians have been run over.

Now I'm going for a walk.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,102,300 times
I guess I've always been lucky and haven't run into that kind of stuff. Now uneven sidewalks yes but it only added to the charm. Are we talking about the same place? I am talking about a couple square miles or so around the plaza area

Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
... I wrote my city councilor that it's really safer to jaywalk than cross where driver's are suppose to stop for pedestrians.
There is truth to this.

And while uneven sidewalks can be charming in the abstract, in the reality, they don't offer a good experience for those with mobility issues, visual acuity problems, who use a wheelchair, or adults pushing a stroller.

I tend to think a state's capital should be a model for universal design. And considering SF is a major tourist attraction, it's even more perplexing to me that it's not more pedestrian-friendly.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:36 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,293,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I guess I've always been lucky and haven't run into that kind of stuff. Now uneven sidewalks yes but it only added to the charm. Are we talking about the same place? I am talking about a couple square miles or so around the plaza area
Yes, I work in the railyard and walk around town at lunch. Have done it many years. One year at our work Christmas party I was given a hat "for the walker." After my walk yesterday to a bead shop near the plaza I realized I forgot how uneven the sidewalks really are--I'm use to it now. Since I have a lack of depth perception due to a lazy eye I have to be especially careful. I agree it adds to the charm but it doesn't make it easy to walk especially when there's ice. I don't like to drive at lunch to exercise although I have considered going up to the Audubon and do the loop around the reservoir. The few locals I see exercising at lunch are running or walking on Alameda--fairly even sidewalks--only one block of broken sidewalk--and there are fewer stops for lights.

When the city councilor replied to my email he told me that there are things residents could do to improve safety--ignoring my comments about the drivers not following the laws or my suggestion they put a light on St. Michaels where the bike/walk trail crosses. Yes, I could improve my safety if I exercised in a gym and gave up walking in town.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
When the city councilor replied to my email he told me that there are things residents could do to improve safety--ignoring my comments about the drivers not following the laws or my suggestion they put a light on St. Michaels where the bike/walk trail crosses. Yes, I could improve my safety if I exercised in a gym and gave up walking in town.

Hahaha!

Reminds me - about my hometown in another state -we liked to say "It's a great place to raise a car."

Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 AM

26,530 posts, read 48,548,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerenssa View Post
I tend to think a state's capital should be a model for universal design.
It is. It is the best model. It is the Oldest Capital in the United States. And what, you want to tear it down and build a better one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe