U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,340,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Yalthough I have considered going up to the Audubon and do the loop around the reservoir.

When the city councilor replied to my email he told me that there are things residents could do to improve safety--ignoring my comments about the drivers not following the laws or my suggestion they put a light on St. Michaels where the bike/walk trail crosses.
I've hiked Audubon when it was sheer ice- so it can be quite slippery up there, needing my yaktraks.

Our New Mexico drivers are some of the most discourteous on the planet. I never trust them to stop for me in a cross walk in SF.

I look to you, Dancingearth, as our local expert on walk-ability in SF.
Be careful!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,297,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I've hiked Audubon when it was sheer ice- so it can be quite slippery up there, needing my yaktraks.

Our New Mexico drivers are some of the most discourteous on the planet. I never trust them to stop for me in a cross walk in SF.

I look to you, Dancingearth, as our local expert on walk-ability in SF.
Be careful!
aw...gee. Thanks. The Audubon was the first place I tried out my Katoolas--"look I can walk on water......as long as it's frozen." Those spike & chain slipons are a great invention as long as there is consistent ice. I was pretty excited when I found out about them.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,297,739 times
Texture, color, light, clean air. To balance the negative side of walking in Santa Fe I should talk about the awesome side that makes me do it again and again. I especially love all the texture--rolling brick walks with many colors, golden dried chamisa, imprints put in cement when it was wet (leaves on Alameda, tire track in front of Union Protectiva de Santa Fe building), dark trees against brilliant blue sky, mountains covered with new snow, shadow of wrought iron fence along cathedral park--the list goes on and on. I want to record all the texture and put it on my pottery. Doing pottery as a hobby is probably why I notice all the texture.

Sometimes I want to make a treasure map of the things I enjoy but I think it's a rare person that would think it fun to go find a star or shadows on a sidewalk. Plus the impressions of a truck where the ice melted in the parking lot and turned into mud won't be there the next time. So many cities are totally paved over leaving nothing really interesting. Ya can't say that for Santa Fe. I walked thru the plaza at 12:47:47 so if you watch the EarthCam at that time you'll see me in a red coat with a green hat. I almost didn't walk today--so much to do at work. So glad I did. Especially when a good looking guy told me he liked my hat. It is a friendly place. Can't forget that as part of the pleasure!

EarthCam - Santa Fe Cam

Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,340,392 times
What a hoot- I saw you!

That cam should cut down on shady dealings in the plaza LOL!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:28 PM

7 posts, read 10,774 times
Hi again everyone. I think Santa Fe is a great city with awesome nature, but my concentration is now gravitating to Spain. I just can't handle Spanish as a second class language.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:26 PM

974 posts, read 2,215,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabreado View Post
Hi again everyone. I think Santa Fe is a great city with awesome nature, but my concentration is now gravitating to Spain. I just can't handle Spanish as a second class language.
Mexico is only a 4-hour drive - it's closer than Spain!

Old 03-30-2016, 09:34 AM

4,656 posts, read 3,076,466 times
Default Santa Fe for retirees?

Considering Santa Fe for retirement. Renting. How is the livability? Are seniors accepted well into the community?

Old 03-30-2016, 12:56 PM

97,410 posts, read 95,296,591 times
It's a community of seniors, to a large extent. Perfect for retirees: the arts are very well represented. SF has its own symphony and opera. Be aware the summers are very hot. You'll be stuck inside w/the A/C in the summers.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:27 PM

681 posts, read 1,103,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's a community of seniors, to a large extent. Perfect for retirees: the arts are very well represented. SF has its own symphony and opera. Be aware the summers are very hot. You'll be stuck inside w/the A/C in the summers.
The average high for the hottest month, July, appears to be 86. Compared to other places that are popular with retirees such as Las Cruces, TorC, Alamogordo, etc., it seems that Santa Fe would be quite reasonable, temperature-wise. To us, it is the high housing costs in Santa Fe that hold us back from seriously considering it as a retirement location.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:48 PM

26,530 posts, read 48,697,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Considering Santa Fe for retirement. Renting. How is the livability? Are seniors accepted well into the community?
We retired about 55 miles from Santa Fe. You might consider reading through these New Mexico threads:

Retire in Sante Fe area
Retire to NM
Looking to Retire; Need a little input
Retire - Retirement to NM
Where to retire in New Mexico
Retire in Peace in NM
New Mexico Retirement
Considering Retirement In Santa Fe
What Makes New Mexico A Good Place For Retirement?
Retire - Retirement to NM

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-17-2016 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe