Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 AM

312 posts, read 1,369,008 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of people may change their mind about this issue if they experience the problems with plastic bags first hand. Try being on a team pulling them off of birds necks or out of the belly of a sea turtle and tell me that your laziness is worth it. If the masses can't behave when given something, there have to be rules put in place to try to put them on a better behaved path. Can't drive safely? Traffic laws. Can't drink without acting like a crazy person? Alcohol laws. Can't use plastic bags without littering them and never recylcling? Plastic bag laws. It's really no different from anyone else. If the majority can't be responsible, we have to encourage them to do so by making laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 PM

65 posts, read 126,773 times
Some random thoughts:

Just read that some other town/state will require that all re-useable bags be rinsed out between uses. What's worse (here), that extra water use or disposable bags?

What are reusable bags made from? Mine seem to be plastic. How many disposable bags worth of plastic goes into a reusable plastic bag? And, how long do they last on average? Can they be recycled?

I primarily get plastic bags to pick up dog poop. The New Mexican suggests I use their paper. Sorry, but I doubt whether many would see that as a viable substitute. My guess is that most will just leave the poop. What is the environmental impact of the incremental poop left in the watershed? Plus, the environmental impact of newsprint production vs reading only the digital version of their paper?

Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,393,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarket2 View Post
Some random thoughts:

Just read that some other town/state will require that all re-useable bags be rinsed out between uses. What's worse (here), that extra water use or disposable bags?

What are reusable bags made from? Mine seem to be plastic. How many disposable bags worth of plastic goes into a reusable plastic bag? And, how long do they last on average? Can they be recycled?

I primarily get plastic bags to pick up dog poop. The New Mexican suggests I use their paper. Sorry, but I doubt whether many would see that as a viable substitute. My guess is that most will just leave the poop. What is the environmental impact of the incremental poop left in the watershed? Plus, the environmental impact of newsprint production vs reading only the digital version of their paper?
And what's their excuse now? I see/smell dog poop whenever I walk or hike. Responsible dog owners will find a way to pick up their poop just as they do now even if it means buying special bags to do it--look on it as part of the expense of owning a dog. IMO not a very good argument for keeping plastic bags.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:09 PM

65 posts, read 153,075 times
Might just turned into will. It will take effect in 6 months.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 PM

560 posts, read 1,708,710 times
No plastic and they're making stores charge .10 for paper! Outrageous!

If Smith's wants to give me a free paper bag for shopping in their store that is between me a Smith's.

Looks like I'm getting out of here just in time! Encouraging / recommending that people do something is one thing. Forcing them to do it is something else! Moderator cut: We don't need the obscenities, bashing and name calling

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-29-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 02:57 PM

255 posts, read 624,408 times
Meh, Austin and Portland are doing this and we were fine with it. Somebody mentioned the litter factor. IMHO, that alone should be enough reason for one to burn the calories it takes to carry their own bags into the store.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:07 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,038,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
No plastic and they're making stores charge .10 for paper! Outrageous!

If Smith's wants to give me a free paper bag for shopping in their store that is between me a Smith's.

Looks like I'm getting out of here just in time! Encouraging / recommending that people do something is one thing. Forcing them to do it is something else! Moderator cut: We don't need the obscenities, bashing and name calling
How often do you shop at Smith's in Santa Fe being that you live in Abq?

Old 09-24-2013, 03:43 PM

380 posts, read 649,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
And why shouldn't the store charge you for a paper bag? They pay for them, don't they? That's just passing on a cost of doing business.
They pay for them, but the cost of those bags is factored into the cost of the groceries.

I think this will hurt business in the way that stores that are crappy about having carts/baskets readily available throughout the store lose business. I.e., people will be able to carry less, therefore they'll buy less.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 AM

974 posts, read 2,333,658 times
So here I am in the French countryside for a couple of weeks and guess what? No plastic or paper bags in the supermarkets (yes, despite village farmers' markets there are some staples you go to a super market for) and guess what? No one complains. They bring their re-usable sacks with them. Now isn't that clever!
Seriously, our society should re-think its throw-away/disposable mentality.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,054 times
You have to pay for plastic or paper bags here in Montgomery County Maryland. People seem to have gotten used to it rather quickly - you just get in the habit of keeping reusable bags in the car. It's really much better for the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe