Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 11:35 AM

209 posts, read 466,195 times

Advertisements

I was out on the old route 66 route on the BLM side and the National Guard is doing major road construction. The (dirt) road needed work, but this is looks more pre paving. No answer yet from National Guard public affairs. I find this highly questionable because there is a proposal to mine La Bajada Mesa for gravel and a paved road would be needed. There is also a proposal for a La Bajada National Monument (which I'm not enthused about). So...I see a typical NM practice here: get the infrastructure in place before anyone can anything about it. Ruin any chance for the land to be saved, and La Bajada SHOULD be saved, and you got yourself a mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 01:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino1 View Post
I was out on the old route 66 route on the BLM side and the National Guard is doing major road construction. The (dirt) road needed work, but this is looks more pre paving. No answer yet from National Guard public affairs. I find this highly questionable because there is a proposal to mine La Bajada Mesa for gravel and a paved road would be needed. There is also a proposal for a La Bajada National Monument (which I'm not enthused about). So...I see a typical NM practice here: get the infrastructure in place before anyone can anything about it. Ruin any chance for the land to be saved, and La Bajada SHOULD be saved, and you got yourself a mine.
Try contacting Chuck Vigil, Santa Fe County Road Projects Manager at (505) 992-3018 or cevigil@santafecountynm.gov

March 27, 2013

Construction to Start on Southern Segment of Caja Del Rio

Santa Fe, NM – March 27, 2013 - The Santa Fe County Road Projects Division would like to notify all residents and businesses that the reconstruction for the southern segment of Caja Del Rio Rd (NM 599 intersection to just past Wildlife Way) will commence on Monday, April 1, 2013 and continue through Fall 2013. Message boards were installed on March 25, 2013 to notify commuters, residences and businesses in this area of the construction start date.

As part of the Caja Del Rio Road Improvements Project, Santa Fe County completed reconstruction of the northern segment of this road. Santa Fe County would like to thank everyone for their patience during the successful completion of the northern segment and thank residents in advance for their patience and cooperation during the southern segment of construction.

If you require additional information about this road work, contact Chuck Vigil, Santa Fe County Road Projects Manager at (505) 992-3018 or cevigil@santafecountynm.gov.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:16 PM

Pancho_NM I found out that it's road and fence repairs in the Camel Tracks area. In the works since 2011, just started now. Still don't know why the Guard is doing the work.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:12 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino1 View Post
Pancho_NM I found out that it's road and fence repairs in the Camel Tracks area. In the works since 2011, just started now. Still don't know why the Guard is doing the work.
Salovino1, The New Mexico National Guard is a reserve component commanded by the New Mexico Governor and they are also members of the militia of the United States. The majority of National Guard soldiers and airmen hold a civilian job full-time while serving part-time as a National Guard member. On of U.S. Army engineers missions is building, repairing roads and bridges etc. Good practice for them.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-18-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,045 times
So, is it to ruin the land or not?

Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 AM

I think we're okay on this one. This is not going to be a paved road on the old 66 route to La Bajada Mesa rim. It is limited in scope and does not cross into USFS land. My information is from the BLM environmental impact statement. The proposed mine at the mesa is still alive but apparently review is put off until next year. I suppose the idea behind a national monument in this area (proposed my Mayor Coss) is to provide a countervailing proposal. Not quite sure how this would work out since a large part of the land near by but not on the mesa itself is Cochiti Pueblo. One would assume they would have a whole lot to say about a federal monument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe