U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,671,253 times

Advertisements

I am in the interview process with a job in Santa Fe where the offer (if it is made) will be in the low 90s with an additional relocation package for moving expenses. I am just wondering if that is a comfortable income level for a single person. I have done a few COL calculations, and see that it will be higher than where I currently living (New Orleans-- my salary goes a long way here), but quite a bit less than it was where I lived for years (DC). I don't have kids and am in my 30s. What do you think?

If the job is offered, there are lots of other considerations that go into the move, but on the basis of income alone, I am wondering if it would be advisable. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 AM

26,530 posts, read 48,594,576 times
I know people making a lot less who live in Santa Fe.

New Orleans, D.C.? Been to both, worked in D.C. for years. We came to the Albuquerque area because we wanted to without regard to pay. But would you really like Santa Fe? Some people do not, or do not like New Mexico.

Single in your 30's no kids... You are not really tied do, go for it while you have the chance... (I'm too old)

Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 AM

77,800 posts, read 98,003,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I am in the interview process with a job in Santa Fe where the offer (if it is made) will be in the low 90s with an additional relocation package for moving expenses. I am just wondering if that is a comfortable income level for a single person. I have done a few COL calculations, and see that it will be higher than where I currently living (New Orleans-- my salary goes a long way here), but quite a bit less than it was where I lived for years (DC). I don't have kids and am in my 30s. What do you think?

If the job is offered, there are lots of other considerations that go into the move, but on the basis of income alone, I am wondering if it would be advisable. Thanks!
I can't imagine not being able to live comfortably on $90,000 plus in Sante Fe. It is more expensive than Albuquerque but a lot less than many places in the country and you are talking about just 1 person. I will add, Sante Fe is a wonderful and very pretty place to live with lots of history..It isn't NOLA or DC but has its own magic.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM

10,688 posts, read 6,971,808 times
Default 90K and single?

Ninety k and single, it should be a cakewalk just about anywhere in the country unless you are really into burning through your wallet every month. You ought to be putting ten percent of that money aside for when you're old. And I can tell you that because I'm old, on social security, and am serving as a bad example to young people who need to save!

Many years ago I tried to get on with the NM Dept of Insurance and had lots of varied experience. But I think there is an "insider" system in the government that left me on the short end.

But Santa Fe is gorgeous, has a rich history, culturally advanced, particularly with arts, is close to Taos, another beautiful and interesting area, and is nestled in the mountains which makes the summers a little cooler (and the winters a bit colder).

I think you are one fortunate young man or woman.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,671,253 times
I have been to New Mexico on a cross country drive and spent a few days in ABQ, which I really enjoyed. If things get serious with the offer, I will try to fly out and spend a little time in Santa Fe. The complicating factor is that I have a parent who has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer on the east coast, and now might not be a great time to relocate even further away. I am not trying to jump the gun and make any decisions-- I just want to see if I could live there on my income comfortably. Believe it or not, I made a bit more than that in DC and it was sometimes difficult to get by due to the condo fees, gas prices, etc. I live better in New Orleans on less!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 AM

581 posts, read 1,105,088 times
I've lived in DC and ABQ, and of course spent a decent amount of time in Santa Fe. You will be more than comfortable on 90k unless you are reckless with your money.

New Mexico could not be more different than DC, but I love it there. Still I recognize that its not for everyone.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,105,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can't imagine not being able to live comfortably on $90,000 plus in Sante Fe. It is more expensive than Albuquerque but a lot less than many places in the country and you are talking about just 1 person. I will add, Sante Fe is a wonderful and very pretty place to live with lots of history..It isn't NOLA or DC but has its own magic.
I love Santa Fe. Vacation there at least once a year. I just love the history.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,052,498 times
I've lived in Louisiana for 20+ years and I'd say $90K for a single person in SFe would be about the same as Nawlins - except housing and no mudbugs.

IF the cost of housing is a bit steep, then you can do like a lot of folks and commute from ABQ/Rio Rancho. Coming from the Crescent City to SFe is going to be one heck of a shock (as in SFe is pretty quite and boring). At least ABQ would offer you a lot more options for a social life, shopping, activities etc.

Last edited by N8!; 01-31-2013 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,294,886 times
I'd like to live on 90M in Santa Fe. I make a lot less and managed to buy a house. I live frugally but not so much I can't do anything. It really depends on your lifestyle and expectations.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:44 PM

974 posts, read 2,212,107 times
I'll join the crowd and say you would do well here on a $90,000/year salary.
While housing, on the average, is probably higher here - it all depends on neighborhood. I mean, if you were to compare homes in New Orleans' Garden District with Santa Fe, then we'd look like a bargain. Putting on my Realtor's hat, I'd have no problem saying that you can find very good values here in Santa Fe. Other prices will be more or less similar to what you're used to.

Good luck with the interviews!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe