U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 PM

27 posts, read 50,334 times

Advertisements

I'm a NJ realtor, buying a home in Santa Fe. I have a SF realtor, but wanted to hear what the forum members would have to say about the customary inspections you do when buying a home.
In NJ, we have a general inspection which includes radon and wood destroying insects and the house/systems/structure. It sounds like almost everyone does continuous monitoring radon tests in SF, while we do not (and we do have elevated levels in some places where I sell). Some people seem to wonder why I want to do the wood destroying insect inspection, while in NJ you're not getting a mortgage without the certificate you get after that inspection.
As to wells -- oh my -- the house I'm buying is on city water/sewer, but does have a shared well for irrigation -- so am I testing that for potability in case someone drinks from the hose?
Would also love to know anything else anyone would care to share.
House is not new, but was gut renovated in 2007.
Thanks and looking forward to being a part time Santa Fean soon! (No fair making NJ people jokes ... I actually grew up in the Midwest everyone!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 PM

974 posts, read 2,209,388 times
Our standard inspections are the "general" inspections you describe. They run anywhere from $400 - 550. Radon testing costs extra (one inspector does it for free, but others will charge up to $150). The types of termites we have here are subterranean, so unless there is wood below ground, that is not usually an issue. A house inspector will look for signs of termite damage, and will recommend a termite inspection if warranted. The inspector goes onto the roof and will look for problems; if he thinks it's necessary he will recommend a roof inspection by a licensed roofer. Exterior stucco, appliances, electric, plumbing, etc. are all parts of a thorough inspection. We've got several really good inspectors here and I'm sure your Realtor will be able to recommend a few to you for your consideration.
You should get a well report from a licensed professional to ensure the equipment is in good shape and that the well has been permitted by the state. Again, your Realtor here will give you guidance on what kinds of inspections you'll need and suggest who to choose from.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 PM

27 posts, read 50,334 times
Thank you.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,292,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Radon testing costs extra (one inspector does it for free, but others will charge up to $150).
GSF - I'm curious about the radon. A house I sold in PA had radon in the basement. Do houses on slabs here have radon in them or does it dissipate because they have more airflow than a basement (although that basement had a walk out with windows on one side)? I don't worry about it for my house now because I have a whole house fan that runs continuously because the house is built so tight. I assume that would take care of any radon.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 AM

26,530 posts, read 48,502,167 times
Quote:
All homes should test for radon, regardless of geographic location or zone designation.
EPA Map of Radon Zones | Radon | US EPA
State Radon Contacts: New Mexico | Radon | US Environmental Protection Agency

Old 03-06-2013, 10:58 AM

974 posts, read 2,209,388 times
Dancingearth - Yes, a house built on a slab can still have higher than recommended levels of radon. It's interesting to note that the U.S. has the lowest levels for which action is recommended compared with other countries. Here, a reading of 4.0 PCi/L or below requires no remediation. In most other countries a reading of twice that would not require remediation.

I've seen inspections in the Santa Fe area where there's a reading of, say 4.2, and the buyer will insist on remediation. The seller usually complies with that demand, as the cost isn't usually too much (perhaps $500 or so) and it's not worth losing the sale of your house over.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:05 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,292,152 times
Can't rep you. Thanks Poncho_NM & GreatSantaFe! I thought there might be more radon building on a slab since there's no airspace between the living space and the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe