Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 10:48 AM

293 posts, read 971,053 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what's happening with the former Real Food Nation on Old Las Vegas Highway? I have noticed people in and out of the restaurant building for the past two weeks, and yesterday I saw a guy with what looked like rolled up plans. Today there's a contractor looking truck there.

Any word on whether it will reopen as RFN or something new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Well, it's closed...

A good article here, interesting info for those thinking of doing a small business, partially noted below: Closing time for Real Food Nation - The Santa Fe New Mexican

Quote:
Santa Fe New Mexican
Closing time for Real Food Nation
Owners throw in towel, citing 'novice mistakes'
By Anne Constable 3/27/2012

In messages to friends, the owners suggested they had reached a tipping point and could no longer continue putting their own money into a losing venture.

Both establishments drew customers who made the short drive outside the Santa Fe city limits, but for those who live in the Eldorado area, the announcement that the restaurants had closed came as a blow. The cafe, in particular, had come to be a community gathering place and was one of the few choice dining locations southeast of the city.

Timken, who owns the 10-acre property with two buildings and a 1-acre garden with her husband, largely blamed herself. This was her first restaurant enterprise. Although her husband has been a pastry chef for 33 years, Timken's only prior experience in the food business was helping to run a restaurant in Tanzania for six months and briefly working as a server at El Mesón as a favor to a friend.

"I made novice mistakes that made it more difficult for us," she admitted.

Timken said a restaurant consultant hired in January showed them they would have to grow their business by 33 percent to make any money.

If she were to do it over again, Timken said, "I would hire a really experienced general manager. We were trying to mom-and-pop it, and that doesn't work -- unless you've been in the business 15 years."
It did not mention what was currently happening with the place...

Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
Last I heard the owners were planning on leasing the building to someone, but had no intention of returning to the restaurant business. Don't know who is leasing it, but I'll do some digging.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Last I heard the owners were planning on leasing the building to someone, but had no intention of returning to the restaurant business. Don't know who is leasing it, but I'll do some digging.
Thanks Dogmama! It was such a big surprise when RFN closed; many of the neighbors found out when they woke up to the front page in the New Mexican that Poncho copied. And there's been almost no news since...

Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
I've asked a friend who is in food sales and he doesn't know who's going in there yet either. When we were in town a couple months ago we were told a very different story than what was spun in the paper, much more personal than business. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in between the two.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 PM

Just in case anyone is interested, Cafe Fino has opened in Real Food Nation's spot out on Old Las Vegas Highway. It's being helmed by a guy who used to associated with Cafe Pasqual and several other Santa Fe restaurants. I was told his name today, but forgot it. Anyway - Cafe Fino will be a breakfast/lunch spot to start, and the soft opening was today. There's a big grand opening planned in a few weeks.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Default Cafe Fina Santa Fe

Cafe Fina Santa Fe currently has a Web Site at - Cafe Fina Santa Fe - and a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CafeFinaSantaFe

Rich

Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,559 times
I've heard it's good. I want to try it next time I'm hiking in the Galisteo Basin. I'll have to talk friends into skipping the Legal Tender--they love that place--I think for the atmosphere. I wasn't that impressed with the food --they did have excellent coleslaw but it is a cool building.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 AM

62 posts, read 175,679 times
I like Cafe Fina. They have a limited menu, and limited hours, but I think that's probably a safer way to start a business. Their baked goods are pretty tasty and they have a good selection of made to order items.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:37 PM

560 posts, read 1,714,808 times
Good riddance to Real Food Nation. That place was too expensive for what you got. I haven't tried Cafe Fina yet... there hours don't mesh well with mine. =(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe