Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 AM

53 posts, read 94,224 times

Advertisements

When landlord ask for first month rent, security deposit and last month rent it's make a huge amount of money. In other country it's would be illegal. I guess it's probably illegal in other state in the US.

Is it legal to ask for a last month rent in New Mexico and more precisely in Santa Fe county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
New Mexico State law says that the landlord can ask for the first month's rent, the last month's rent, and a number of deposits. Landlords can require a reasonable deposit to
recover damages caused by a tenant.

I have been a landlord in the past. I always asked for first month's rent, the last month's rent, and a secuity deposit... This is pretty common.

REFERENCES:
Deposits | Law Help New Mexico
State Bar of New Mexico - Landord-Tenant Relations
New Mexico Landlord Tenant Law
Santa Fe county would not be able to override a state law.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-05-2013 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,938 times
Some states or cities allow the landlord to ask for first, last and security, some allow for less, some allow for more. As a landlord I always ask for all 3, I don't want to rent to folks that have difficulty coming up with money before they even sign a lease. You might ask to spread out one of the payments in installments.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 AM

974 posts, read 2,342,780 times
skullfun - Like you've seen, it is entirely legal and common.
But you, as the renter, can decide if you want to pay it. If not, then look for another landlord who won't ask for a security deposit and/or last month month rent. I doubt you'll find many, but you might….

Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 PM

560 posts, read 1,714,692 times
Definitely legal. I'm a landlord and depending on the neighborhood I would ask for all three as well. There are too many deadbeat renters in this town. My advice is this... if your credit score is really good, mention it to the landlord and let him run a credit check... that would be the best way to talk me out of charging the last months rent anyway.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 PM

53 posts, read 94,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
There are too many deadbeat renters in this town.
Yes sure, and there is certainly as much as irresponsible landlord in this town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
My advice is this... if your credit score is really good, mention it to the landlord and let him run a credit check... that would be the best way to talk me out of charging the last months rent anyway.
I think this is even worst, give your social security number to irresponsible landlord. Not an accident that there is so much identity thief.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,938 times
I always run a credit check on my tenants. If I am trusting my asset to a tenant I am going to check every detail possible to ensure it doesn't get destroyed. It seems like you are finding some bad places and people, you might want to try going through a management company or an apartment complex to avoid your issues in dealing with a private landlord.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:53 AM

974 posts, read 2,342,780 times
I agree totally dogmama. And of course there's also nothing to stop a renter from asking for references from a landlord. As in any contractural relationship both sides need to feel comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: