Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,895 times

Advertisements

Hello Locals!

My girlfriend and I just decided to spend some time in Santa Fe over the July 4th weekend. This will be the first time for both of us...looking forward to seeing it after hearing so many great things.

Sooo, our flights to Albuquerque are booked, and we'll be driving to Santa Fe. Our questions are now:

1) Funnest part of town to stay if we'd like to walk more than drive? (Priceline breaks the town into areas of Cerillos Road North, North Santa Fe, Santa Fe Plaza and Vicinity, Santa Fe South, and South Cerillos Road)

2) Best local restaurant options for local cuisine?

3) Best day drips to take to see fantastic views/scenery and maybe squeeze in a hike or two?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rardemagni View Post
Hello Locals!

My girlfriend and I just decided to spend some time in Santa Fe over the July 4th weekend. This will be the first time for both of us...looking forward to seeing it after hearing so many great things.

Sooo, our flights to Albuquerque are booked, and we'll be driving to Santa Fe. Our questions are now:

1) Funnest part of town to stay if we'd like to walk more than drive? (Priceline breaks the town into areas of Cerillos Road North, North Santa Fe, Santa Fe Plaza and Vicinity, Santa Fe South, and South Cerillos Road)

2) Best local restaurant options for local cuisine?

3) Best day drips to take to see fantastic views/scenery and maybe squeeze in a hike or two?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
1) Plaza area
2) The Pantry (would have to drive from the plaza)
3) Bandelier - beautiful drive up there and the ruins are interesting. You'll need to take the shuttle in White Rock.

Don't miss the pancake breakfast on the plaza on the 4th. Have fun!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 PM

thank you, dancingearth!!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Canyon Road is a nice walk...

Old 06-17-2013, 02:30 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,683 times
1) Santa Fe Plaza and Vicinity
2) The Cowgirl, The Pantry, The Shed, La Plazuela in La Fonda, Tia Sophia's.
3) Hyde Park Road up to the ski basin, High Road to Taos

Have yourselves a great time!

Old 06-17-2013, 03:21 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
If I want a green chili cheeseburger near the plaza then it's Del Charro or San Francisco Bar & Grill. Locals like Del Charro because it's inexpensive and pretty good food. I like going there after going to art gallery openings on Canyon Road on Friday night although it can be packed. I second GSF's recommendation for The Shed although more touristy. But that can be a good thing--live music, nice patio. I sent my son's friends there when they were in town and they had a blast--got to jam with the musicians. New Mexican food - I also like Castro's and Horsemen's Haven--both on Cerrillos. Love breakfasts here. Not your typical boring eggs and toast. Hope to hear your reviews after you visit!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:14 PM

212 posts, read 371,514 times
Regarding hiking and scenic viewing:

Between Albuquerque and Santa Fe there are almost limitless opportunities for outdoor activities. There are three National Forests in the Area, Cibola, Santa Fe and Carson, and several state parks, all of which offer great hiking and picnicking, etc. Unfortunately because of numerous wildfires in the area many of these are closed or restricted. Budget cuts from the sequester aren't helping either. Each forest has a website and you should definitely check there for the latest information and updates: But some areas that should still be open for hiking are:

Hyde Memorial State Park
Aspen Vista
Petroglyph National Monument
Bandelier National Monument
Tent Rocks National Monument
Bisti Badlands wilderness
most forest trailheads should be open except for those in the Pecos Wilderness

As far as scenic viewing, you can't go wrong doing any of the following:

Drive to the Abiquiu Lake/Ghost Ranch Area (lots of movies were filmed in the area)
Drive to Sandia Peak (possibly closed due to fires)
The Jemez Mountain Trail scenic byway (should be open again by then)
The High Road to Taos
The canyon road to Taos
The Rio Grande Gorge Bridge (awesome photo op)
The Enchanted Circle scenic byway
US-64 to the Brazos Cliffs and beyond
Orilla Verda Recreation area (awesome views of the wild Rio Grande)
White Rock overlook near Los Alamos
Rio Grande del Norte National Monument (the nation's newest national monument)
Valles Caldera National Preserve (possibly the best view of the bunch)

With any luck, by July 4th the monsoons will be in full swing and everything will be green and the afternoons rains will be wonderful. Northern New Mexico during the rainy season is just awesome.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rardemagni View Post
Sooo, our flights to Albuquerque are booked, and we'll be driving to Santa Fe.
Take the Turquoise Trail from ABQ to Santa Fe, or vice versa: Turquoise Trail National Scenic Byway (New Mexico) - The Perfect Day Trip between Santa Fe and Albuquerque

Plan a stop or meal in Madrid

My slide show which may be too long: 090712 Madrid

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-17-2013 at 06:29 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 11:56 AM

Thank you guys so much. Great advice and suggestions. We can't wait to visit and try some of these things out.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:36 PM

20 posts, read 37,002 times
Ore House
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe