Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 01:43 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times

Advertisements

Probably right on population we have one city after another not the sparsness you find between SF and Abq. Poncho your 2nd link didn't work but thanks. Do they airlift to Abq. if a serious emergency? If you had to use a Abq. hospital is railrunner faster than driving? Thinking of family access for visit if you lived in SF. On our trips we usually meandered from Abq. north so no real feel for the drive. We are very healthy so not anticipating problems but things happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 03:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Probably right on population we have one city after another not the sparsness you find between SF and Abq. Poncho your 2nd link didn't work but thanks. Do they airlift to Abq. if a serious emergency? If you had to use a Abq. hospital is railrunner faster than driving? Thinking of family access for visit if you lived in SF. On our trips we usually meandered from Abq. north so no real feel for the drive. We are very healthy so not anticipating problems but things happen
Try this basic URL and enter the city and state, the link still works for me but it may be browser specific.

I know there are airlifts, but I really don't know the situations.

I beat the Railrunner driving, and people complain I drive slow. We have used the Railrunner from Rio Rancho, but the schedules are more for commuters rather than other purposes. My wife and daughter have been testing the runs, but for 2 or three hour shopping, it does not work out.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:29 PM

Thanks appreciate the info.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:58 PM

209 posts, read 465,867 times
I should make it clear that we (both in out 60's) researched carefully the places we wanted to live in the west and one by one we eliminated them due to lack of medical care, mostly because the hospital was a small community based facility, for the most part, overburdened or not up to the job when something really goes wrong. We did not want to live in a large metro area where most of the money and top talent goes. We found that taking all into consideration, Santa Fe was and is the best for medical care of all the places we looked at when you take into consideration that if you can't get it in this county, you can always go to ABQ. That's about 45 minutes away for us. If you live in SF you will eventually have to go there for care and that's fine. We have gotten good quality medical treatment here (frankly better than our over crowded former state).

Old 11-15-2013, 06:28 PM

209 posts, read 465,867 times
Take into account the juxtaposition of relative wealth and poverty (or least low income), drug problems here with cheap heroin and prescription pill abuse, poor performing schools (and by that I should say poor performing parents) and you will have crime. But saying that, in my former state, you look at a guy the wrong way and he caps you off. I've had a couple of drunks pick fights with me here because they didn't like the way I was driving. I find this fairly charming when compared to the former life. You just do some simple things and cut the risk way down. No valuables visible in the car. Keep a loud whistle, pepper spray, and a solid piece of wood in your vehicle...none of which you will need if the bad boy sees you raising your phone. Know your neighbors and watch each others property. Keep your car registration and insurance info on your person, not in the car. Stay off the streets when the drunks are out, which is basically all night...and it will always be that way folks. Back on the home front, log in to all three credit agencies and spend the 30 bucks to lock down your credit report so miscreants can't open accounts in your name. Finally smile, engage, don't sweat the snobbies up town cause they are just putting on their show, like you, and like me.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:46 AM

560 posts, read 1,714,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
mdmagana, to what do you attribute the high percentage of snob/jerk/douche-ness? Is it an affliction of being monied, or of having moved in from places where the norm includes a majority percentage of the above qualities, or of having moved to SF purely because it is "the" place to be?

Or -- and I ask this from a pure place of curiosity and in a quiet voice -- could it be that you're just ready to move on, not because of the jerk factor, but simply because the fit isn't what it perhaps once was for you?
Sorry for the delay in responding… I attribute the high percentage of those attributes having a lot to do with the false sense of superiority liberals seem to walk around with and / or the fact that there seems to be a lot of "new money" (for lack of a better term) that lives here.

That might sound a bit harsh, but I'm just calling it like I see it. Having grown-up around people that come from families with a lot of money, often for a couple generations, I can tell you without a doubt that there is definitely a big difference between the way those people act and the way new money acts. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to the rule, but generally, I've observed that people who come from money aren't the ones flaunting their stuff or talking down to others. Hell, often times they don't even drive a "luxury" car and are perfectly happy shopping at Target and WalMart for everyday things.As for the liberal sense of of false superiority, if you haven;t experienced that yet, just go talk to a Prius owner. =)

Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM

60 posts, read 130,014 times
Make that "Pius" owner.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding… I attribute the high percentage of those attributes having a lot to do with the false sense of superiority liberals seem to walk around with and / or the fact that there seems to be a lot of "new money" (for lack of a better term) that lives here.

That might sound a bit harsh, but I'm just calling it like I see it. Having grown-up around people that come from families with a lot of money, often for a couple generations, I can tell you without a doubt that there is definitely a big difference between the way those people act and the way new money acts. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to the rule, but generally, I've observed that people who come from money aren't the ones flaunting their stuff or talking down to others. Hell, often times they don't even drive a "luxury" car and are perfectly happy shopping at Target and WalMart for everyday things.As for the liberal sense of of false superiority, if you haven;t experienced that yet, just go talk to a Prius owner. =)
Sorry but all liberals are not wealthy, drive luxury cars, nor are they snobby and feel superior. Broad generalizations of groups of people is always a bad idea.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post

Well I guess that makes you superior to them, huh.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:04 AM

560 posts, read 1,714,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Well I guess that makes you superior to them, huh.
WHERE DID I SAY THAT? I WAS ASKED A QUESTION AND I ANSWERED IT HONESTLY! DON'T PUT WORDS IN OTHER PEOPLE'S MOUTHS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe