U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 09:03 AM

974 posts, read 2,209,388 times

Advertisements

Hawaiigeorge: do you need help moving?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 10:55 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,466,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiigeorge View Post
I live in Santa Fe and after 8 months here, can’t wait to get out . Yes Northern New Mexico is incredibly beautiful..the mountains, clean air , four distinct seasons, the history, etc., 50 million less people than the West Coast or the East Coast. However what I did NOT expect or anticipate or not do my due diligence about was..very expensive rents, low inventory in a desperately poor state, more drug addicts and drunken drivers than I’ve seen anywhere else in the World, a very old and incredibly unwelcoming and unfriendly Caucasian Population, limited choices, no real sense of community unless you’re in the “Arts” , all motor traffic backed up bumper to bumper all day long like a mini California on the one main ugly Drag, Cerrillos Road, where all traffic lights are timed to turn red as soon as the previous one turns green...so you can only go ONE light at a time through town, locals can be very sweet although tend to be suspicious yet more friendly than the transplants, a snobbishness and pretentiousness not backed up by any apparent substance or reason. Nor world class services or amenities , petty crime, violent crime, dog eat dog attitude with horrific drivers and a huge pool of uninsured motorists, car theft, homelessness, people unhappy or on the edge, pitiful traffic management or control with more speed bumps than people, generational poverty, racism, a good old boy network of Local Spanish, a sanctuary city with not enough jobs for the natives, ultra Neo liberal with no money to back it up or create a San Francisco wannabe city, trash, lack of education, corruption, crazy fringe New Agers yet no interest whatsoever in an altruistic or consciousness raising type of community , expensive art , snobby literati, thankless rude citizens, and all within sight of a beautiful 400 year old town just as damaged by the Spanish and as depressing as Cusco , La Paz, or Quito can be when you realize that a few wealthy Control Everything, the tourists are all over, and the locals are poor and can barely afford to live in the city in which they were born..Welcome to the City Different
Thomas Mann would be envious at the length of your sentences. My goodness!

Old 02-01-2019, 11:59 AM

96,619 posts, read 94,459,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Not to mention, the length of his paragraphs! (Or single paragraph.)

George, you got all that out of only 8 months here? I've lived here for years, and haven't noticed drivers that are any worse than anywhere else, and certainly not car thefts, etc. I wonder what neighborhood you lived in. I guess I'm too busy enjoying the arts, the concerts, lectures, etc. Homelessness is negligible-to-invisible, in my experience. Check out San Francisco and Seattle, for comparison. Snobbishness? There's definitely an NYC-wealthy contingent, but it's a small percentage, and confines itself to one part of town, pretty much.

It sounds like you never found your niche. What brought you to Santa Fe, btw?

Old 02-01-2019, 05:29 PM

26,530 posts, read 48,502,167 times
Quote:
I live in Santa Fe and after 8 months here, can’t wait to get out . Yes Northern New Mexico is incredibly beautiful..the mountains, clean air , four distinct seasons, the history, etc., 50 million less people than the West Coast or the East Coast. However what I did NOT expect or anticipate or not do my due diligence about was..very expensive rents, low inventory in a desperately poor state, more drug addicts and drunken drivers than I’ve seen anywhere else in the World, a very old and incredibly unwelcoming and unfriendly Caucasian Population, limited choices, no real sense of community unless you’re in the “Arts” , all motor traffic backed up bumper to bumper all day long like a mini California on the one main ugly Drag, Cerrillos Road, where all traffic lights are timed to turn red as soon as the previous one turns green...so you can only go ONE light at a time through town, locals can be very sweet although tend to be suspicious yet more friendly than the transplants, a snobbishness and pretentiousness not backed up by any apparent substance or reason. Nor world class services or amenities , petty crime, violent crime, dog eat dog attitude with horrific drivers and a huge pool of uninsured motorists, car theft, homelessness, people unhappy or on the edge, pitiful traffic management or control with more speed bumps than people, generational poverty, racism, a good old boy network of Local Spanish, a sanctuary city with not enough jobs for the natives, ultra Neo liberal with no money to back it up or create a San Francisco wannabe city, trash, lack of education, corruption, crazy fringe New Agers yet no interest whatsoever in an altruistic or consciousness raising type of community , expensive art , snobby literati, thankless rude citizens, and all within sight of a beautiful 400 year old town just as damaged by the Spanish and as depressing as Cusco , La Paz, or Quito can be when you realize that a few wealthy Control Everything, the tourists are all over, and the locals are poor and can barely afford to live in the city in which they were born..Welcome to the City Different
This was your first post which was on 01-29-2019, 10:14 PM

Your Last Activity was: 01-29-2019 11:15 PM

I guess there is nothing else to say...

Old 02-01-2019, 11:59 PM

26 posts, read 20,864 times
I’ve been coming to Santa Fe for many years. I’ve always wanted to move to SF, but life got in the way. Finally, I am retired. And I’m finally moving here. In the years I’ve been coming, I’ve made friends. I love all the beautiful art and gracious beauty of this historic place. I can’t think of any negative experiences I’ve had,compared to other places I’ve lived like Phoenix and LA. It’s not for everyone, I’m sure. To those who are unhappy in SF, move! Life is too short to be somewhere you don’t want to be. As for me, I’m thrilled.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,923 times
Default The City Desperate

I am

Old 02-13-2019, 12:22 AM

3 posts, read 4,923 times
Thanks, got it all handled...!

Old 02-13-2019, 12:37 PM

96,619 posts, read 94,459,730 times
I will say one thing that George got right; low rental inventory. But that's a result of the 2008 housing loan crisis. A lot of people nation-wide lost their homes, and were thrown on the rental market (those that could afford to pay rent at all, after the loan debacle); it's not peculiar to Santa Fe at al. So there are more families needing to rent, than there were before. Singles and couples are now competing with more families for rentals.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:16 PM

65 posts, read 235,915 times
Quote:
Other than that, what don't you like about it?

Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,031,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Haha, good one, a literary person on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe