Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserttreasures View Post
Yesterday, on the Huffington Post, they had a blog on the "snobbiest cities in the United States" - and, Santa Fe was on the list! Have no idea if this is true.
Here is the article. Travel + Leisure: America's Snobbiest Cities Santa Fe and Seattle tied for 5th place...

"the New Mexicans also came across as being pretty affable —but it may depend on your topic of conversation"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:57 AM

27 posts, read 52,954 times
It's a Travel and Leisure article, Huffington Post is just quoting it. And it's about tourist cities -- so you have to start from there. And -- San Francisco is #1, then New York, then Boston, then Minneapolis, and then tied with Seattle, Santa Fe. Ok, -- now what do they all have in common? A certain amount of urban/art culture, some very specific reasons to visit, great restaurants (well, Minneapolis, that might be a stretch).
If T&L made a list of places you feel comfortable going in your gym shorts, tube socks and t-shirts from Disneyland -- I'm not sure that would be on my list.
Darn, what I've long suspected. I'm a snob. I like art, culture, great food, intriguing architecture, open minded people. I expect to get a little flamed next, but that's life when you're a snob ;=)
From the article http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...biest-cities/6 "the city ranked near the bottom for its sports bars." Sigh. Not sure how I'll survive.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Any where without sports bars is a plus for me. I have not been in Santa Fe for decades but I was favorably impressed at the time.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenskar1 View Post
darn, what i've long suspected. I'm a snob. I like art, culture, great food, intriguing architecture, open minded people. I expect to get a little flamed next, but that's life when you're a snob ;=)
lol

Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
Whoa, guess I'm a snob like all those things too just don't want the pretense that goes with it for some folks. But also like camping, jeans my favorite attire, like variety in people, places and things. So any of that mix in Santa Fe or all uppity upscalers?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Met someone visiting here from Santa Fe and so negative about it. Here are some of the complaints:very expensive, ridiculously strict building codes, pretentious people, drunk driving problems, lack of good medical, seems the list was endless. I have only visited but loved it and yes plaza area overpriced but it is what it is a tourist mecca rest seemed okay. I did see some overdone Santa Fe looking folks but assume there are normal folks too. The rest I don't know about. The only positive I got was natural beauty and accessibility to the outdoors. Have thought about S.F. or Abq. as final retirement destination but left wondering after all the negatives I heard. Hopefully not as bad as portrayed.
The building codes aren't strict outside of the historic district. They're strict there, in order to preserve historic buildings. Also, to encourage tourism, the city aims to keep a more or less unified buidling style, which means that within a certain radius of the downtown core, homes need to have a stucco facade (adobe-colored), and flat roofs.

Lack of good medical is true. And the emergency room of the one local hospital is currently involved in a lawsuit. A couple of years ago, the hospital let their more experienced nurses go, and hired less experienced nurses in a cost-cutting move. It doesn't inspire confidence. It can be hard to find a good primary care doctor; many of the good ones don't accept new patients.

Rents and real estate are expensive, the city's based somewhat on a resort-town economy. There are some NYC transplants who are snooty, but other than that, I wouldn't say people are pretentious at all.

Retirees like Santa Fe because it's a quiet, small town with big-city amenities, like a symphony, opera and lots of arts-related activity. If you can afford to locate here, and prefer a smaller town atmosphere to Albuquerque's big city, this could be a good choice.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:31 AM

468 posts, read 583,117 times
I have a friend( I use that term very loosley) in Santa Fe.I found the place boring visually, after a week. Uniformal adobe every where is boring. My friend does have a judgemental hoity toity attitude of "I am so spiritually elevated mere mortals can't comprehend".There is a pretentous "cultured" atmosphere because of the bohemian artsy fartsy crowd. Even the art gets boring because just like the adobes they are so "uniformal" nothing unique standing out from the crowd.
I you like a monotone uniformal archecture then Sata Fe is for you. If you like latent hippy dope smoking judgmental bohemian artsy fartsy people who in their mind are the cats meaow and you like to feel special for no special reason....you might just fit right in with the Santa Fe crowd.Nice to visit.But once is enough.Just my .02 of experience in SantaFe.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
I have a friend( I use that term very loosley) in Santa Fe.I found the place boring visually, after a week. Uniformal adobe every where is boring. My friend does have a judgemental hoity toity attitude of "I am so spiritually elevated mere mortals can't comprehend".There is a pretentous "cultured" atmosphere because of the bohemian artsy fartsy crowd. Even the art gets boring because just like the adobes they are so "uniformal" nothing unique standing out from the crowd.
I you like a monotone uniformal archecture then Sata Fe is for you. If you like latent hippy dope smoking judgmental bohemian artsy fartsy people who in their mind are the cats meaow and you like to feel special for no special reason....you might just fit right in with the Santa Fe crowd.Nice to visit.But once is enough.Just my .02 of experience in SantaFe.
Have to say this is a narrow-minded, myopic view of SF.

There is a wide-variety of SF folks, including the majority population of hispanic.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Whoa, guess I'm a snob like all those things too just don't want the pretense that goes with it for some folks. But also like camping, jeans my favorite attire, like variety in people, places and things. So any of that mix in Santa Fe or all uppity upscalers?
There is plenty of mix in SF, hikers, bicycle riders, jeans-wearing, down-to-earth folks!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
If you are liberal and crave big government, it is the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe