U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 AM

1,988 posts, read 3,785,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Are the architectural restrictions just for commercial or also residential? Think person I was talking to said all roofs have to be flat? How does that work with snow?
Both residential and commercial are affected.

I'm not entirely sure if they have to be flat. In the northern part of the state there are three different style of local architecture. 1) Pueblo Revival 2) Territorial and 3) Northern New Mexico.

Norther New Mexico style homes have a pitched roof.

As far is snow is concerned. On a flat roof home the truss systems along with the footing are designed to withstand a lot of snow on the roof. Even in Santa Fe the glorious sun will melt most of the snow in a very short period of time. Newly built homes are not entirely flat any longer. There is actually a slope and 'crickets' hidden by the parapets to move the melting snow off of the roof. The current building codes call for 1/4" of slope per every 1' of roof.

GreatSantaFe may be able to expand on the architectural controls that are in place.

Last edited by NMHacker; 07-10-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 11:45 AM

9,191 posts, read 20,907,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Both residential and commercial are affected.

I'm not entirely sure if they have to be flat. In the northern part of the state there are three different style of local architecture. 1) Pueblo Revival 2) Territorial and 3) Northern New Mexico.

Norther New Mexico style homes have a pitched roof.

As far is snow is concerned. On a flat roof home the truss systems along with the footing are designed to withstand a lot of snow on the roof. Even in Santa Fe the glorious sun will melt most of the snow in a very short period of time. Newly built homes are not entirely flat any longer. There is actually a slope and 'crickets' hidden by the parapets to move the melting snow off of the roof. The current building codes call for 1/4" of slope per every 1' of roof.

GreatSantaFe may be able to expand on the architectural controls that are in place.
The photo you show for northern NM style looks sort of Victorian to me...(?).

I'm glad to know that the newer construction flat roof may not have the issues with leaking/weight of snow that the older ones sometimes did. I avoided flat roofs for just that very reason.

If I had had the lot width I needed, I would have chosen NM territorial, my all-time favorite.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,466,923 times
I'm not sure about the rules for new construction, but there are some ranch style homes in Santa Fe with pitched roofs.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:07 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,292,263 times
The houses they just built across the street in SE Santa Fe all have pitched roofs. Mine built 5 years ago has flat & pitched. I assume flat is cheaper so builders prefer them. My flat roof has had leaks and it's only five years old. Never again.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:46 PM

1,988 posts, read 3,785,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I assume flat is cheaper so builders prefer them. My flat roof has had leaks and it's only five years old. Never again.
No it is not cheaper. They are roughly the same for the trusses as well and the roofing material.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:46 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,365,413 times
So if my informant was wrong on flat roofs maybe the other observations on Santa Fe were not so accurate. House in picture pretty much looks like a house that could be found in a lot of places. Opinions are just that... opinions all in one's perspective I guess........Thanks for the input.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,292,263 times
Quote:
So if my informant was wrong on flat roofs maybe the other observations on Santa Fe were not so accurate. House in picture pretty much looks like a house that could be found in a lot of places. Opinions are just that... opinions all in one's perspective I guess........Thanks for the input.
People with bad experiences tend to be more vocal and insistent that "everyone" is that way because of their experiences. I use to know the stats but from memory from a customer service workshop it was something like one person with a bad experience will tell 8 people about it and the person with a good experience might tell one (maybe.) It's especially interesting when someone complains about something and then does what they just complained about in the next sentence. Or when someone visits and is an expert on a town. The house in the picture reminds me of houses in Oshara Village near the community college.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:07 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,365,413 times
You sre so right, negative feelings are vocalized much more often. We forget to say what is right and wonderful in our lives. We would all bette off if we shared those feelings with others. So let me rephrase my original post what is right with Santa Fe?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 PM

26,530 posts, read 48,507,673 times
Quote:
You sre so right, negative feelings are vocalized much more often. We forget to say what is right and wonderful in our lives. We would all bette off if we shared those feelings with others. So let me rephrase my original post what is right with Santa Fe?
As far as I am concerned, there is nothing wrong with Santa Fe. It's just not for everyone.

"What is right with Santa Fe?"
Cooler weather
Opera - Have not been. Probably would go if we lived in Santa Fe.
We would go to the local events. Albuquerque keeps us busy with events.
One hour Closer to us for some of the greener state and national parks.
That is not enough for us, so we will stay 60 miles south of Santa Fe.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-10-2013 at 10:27 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 PM

560 posts, read 1,634,693 times
Yes, Santa Fe is that bad. While certainly not everyone is a snob / jerk / douche / or whatever, it is a significant enough portion of the population that it's very noticeable. I can't wait to move to Albuquerque later this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe