U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:52 PM

974 posts, read 2,209,388 times

Advertisements

basha - Your rant isn't worth the effort of responding to. But I tell you what I'll do - I'll give you a free referral to a Realtor in any other state you wish to move to - and hope you take advantage of it soon.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:24 AM

39 posts, read 80,831 times
Santa Fe is usually close to bottom of list you want to be at the top of (schools, health care, etc) and at the top of the lists of those you want to be at the bottom of (crime, socioeconomic "stuff" etc). If I could afford to, I would move. Nice place to visit though!

Old 07-14-2013, 11:18 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,365,211 times
Sadly chains are in every town everywhere or so it seems. Downside at times the strips are so homogenized you are hard pressed to tell one place from another. Upside you know what you are getting when you go into a place. I remember (age is showing) the days when travel could be real hit or miss for overnight or eating in the door and about face out. Some Bates motel places to be found!! Oh, BTW was not trying for a red versus blue state discussion that is another forum please.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Sadly chains are in every town everywhere or so it seems.
Same thing is happening all over the world it seems. Go to many mid-large cities in Europe and you'll find chain hotels, McDonald's, KFC, etc. I tend to prefer visiting small villages, where the outside world hasn't seemed to have penetrated as much. In Santa Fe, the big chains are primarily concentrated along Cerrillos Road, from St. Michael's south.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-14-2013 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:56 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,259,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annasoeiro View Post
Santa Fe is usually close to bottom of list you want to be at the top of (schools, health care, etc) and at the top of the lists of those you want to be at the bottom of (crime, socioeconomic "stuff" etc). If I could afford to, I would move. Nice place to visit though!
I guess this means you want to be at the bottom of things like great arts, great air quality, great weather, potential for natural disasters, hiking/outdoor opportunities, restaurants/dining opportunities, ...?

I think a lot of Santa Fe's strong positives get taken for granted by residents, plus they don't realize how things (e.g., crime) they see as negatives in Santa Fe can be a lot worse in a lot of other places.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:09 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,365,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Same thing is happening all over the world it seems. Go to many mid-large cities in Europe and you'll find chain hotels, McDonald's, KFC, etc. I tend to prefer visiting small villages, where the outside world hasn't seemed to have penetrated as much. In Santa Fe, the big chains are primarily concentrated along Cerrillos Road, from St. Michael's south.
That is one reason Northern N.M. is such a delight (haven't been south) there are those seemingly untouched places to enjoy. The back roads and small towns/crossroads are tucked in the memory bank to be pulled out and remembered. One of my favorites is of 2 young girls and their dog selling lemonade in Truchas. They were so pleased we stopped to buy from them and they made our day! But I will say another good experience happened in Abq. lots of friendly nice people in N.M.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 AM

65 posts, read 146,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I agree Santa Fe is a different town and not for everyone. Does snobby mean they don't respond if you start a conversation? That happens more to me when I visit PA. In stores here strangers and clerks will talk to me. Last week in PA I made a comment about a local event going on to the sales clerk and she just looked at me like I was from another planet. I forgot ya don't talk to strangers out there. Contrast with last night at Sam's Club in Santa Fe. I had to replace my card and the woman in line before me laughingly made the comment she was doing the same thing and we had a lighthearted back and forth about it.

There is an element of folks here (typically Anglo, older, rich who show up at certain events) who seem to ignore anyone who doesn't look like them. I find it amusing more than anything. It seems normal human nature to hang out with people who reflect the identify you created for yourself (sounds boring to me but it's interesting to observe it.) I can only work on making sure I'm not the one being snobby to anyone who isn't like me. Maybe it's more obvious here than other places because of the size of the town and a wide variety of events that draw certain people out. Since anyone can attend you see people you might never meet otherwise. My daughter lives in PA across from the country club golf course. I saw them on the other side of the fence but that's as close as I got to rich folks there.

I think it can be very difficult to find your niche when you're from the middle class working/professional class. There is very little industry here and lots of retired people and the local Hispanic people have their social needs met thru family and long time friends. It's like that in PA too only it's the PA Dutch. I found my community by taking classes at the community college and Meet-ups.

Things I like about Santa Fe - perfect size for me--not too big or too small, sun in winter, no humidity or intense heat in summer, winters aren't too cold for long periods, lots to do for free, close hiking trails, mountains, views, my small open floor plan house on one floor with a 6' wall around the yard making living in the city much better, architecture, doesn't take long to drive to anything, inexpensive real estate taxes, inexpensive community college, a large variety of people, Farmer's Market, Rail Runner to ABQ.
Funny story, on Sunday at the newer Wal-mart in Santa Fe, I was in the clothing department, and a lady and I almost bumped carts. I looked at her and told her I was sorry, man you should have seen the look she gave me! She was really bothered with my presence, I could tell by her actions.She walks past me, doesn't even look at me (yes she actually turned her head the other way! Couldn't believe that!) and says nothing. Everyone else I bumped into that day just laughed it off. You get a mix in Santa Fe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basha0810 View Post
I am here to tell you that I moved to Santa Fe in 2003. Santa Fe is dirty. People are snobby and mean. It's overpriced and expensive. There's nothing to do. It's overrated. The only thing worth talking about that makes Santa Fe tolerable is the downtown Plaza. Occasionally you'll run into the nice natives but they remain secluded. Every now and then they venture out and you remember why you moved there in the first place. This is a statistic: most that move to New Mexico either love it or hate it regardless of where you are. The life span of a transient is 3 years, tops. Save your money and just visit and make your stays long enough to where you say to yourself, "Yah, I could live here." But don't uproot and move. I hate New Mexico and I've been here for 10 years. Why don't I leave? I actually have. I go back off and on but I don't call it home any more. Gas is expensive. Groceries. The people in the state are being ripped off. If you go to other places you will find that all along you have been deceived on what things really cost. You can go to Walmart in, say, Tennessee and buy a bottle of vitamins for $12 bucks. In NM that same bottle will cost you $25. Officials say that it's because it's harder to get things to the state but it isn't a foreign country! Truckers pass through all of the time. It's not like it's out of their way. I moved to New Mexico 10 years ago because it was known to be the poorest state in the nation (still is). Things were somewhat affordable then. No longer. The reasons are evident to leave by the masses that are moving elsewhere. NM is not what it used to be. It's a blue state as well and blue states are oppressive. Rights are being taken away slowly there. Traffic is horrendous. Drivers are terrible. Try to get health insurance. It's limited and expensive. Any type of insurance in NM is expensive. 75% of people living there drive without insurance. The uninsured motorist coverage is incredible and if you don't get it and someone without insurance hits you? Your insurance company won't cover the damage. There are nicer people elsewhere. I'm not talking just snobs there. The state is so oppressed you can see it in the faces of the people living there. They don't enjoy where they work, what they do. They don't enjoy life. It's a downer to experience this place even as a tourist. And how rude they are to tourists!!! I'm not sure why Santa Fe or any town in New Mexico is on the map but the only thing that the state has going for it are the movies they film and the folks that come out of that. Other than that, New Mexico is an armpit. Don't waste your money. Just visit.
I'm not too sure what to say about this. I, too, think people can be snobby here and think there could be nicer people elsewhere. But every once in a while I will run into someone who is glad I am in their presence.........

Snobby people are everywhere. You just gotta deal with that.

Might I add have you ever tried reaching out? Being nice to people? I try to be nice to everyone I see, whether I talk to them or not, and I try to be respectful, so maybe thats why I don't experience much snobbiness on that level. But yes, I do know snobby people are around. Be respectful and polite, and maybe something good will happen.

~Disco Inferno

Last edited by lorelai4605217; 07-16-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 AM

Here's an interesting experiment to test my hypothesis that those who act snooty aren't really Santa Feans and are more likely to be tourists. Whenever you meet someone acting all hoity-toity, ask them where they're from. In my experience the folks who choose to move here - whether as a primary or secondary residence - tend to do so because of our city's beauty, values and friendliness. Those who don't choose to move here, but are forced to by jobs or life's circumstances will either come to like it - or not; same as any other place.

When people don't act all friendly, don't take it personally. They may be from a big city where you just don't chat it up with strangers, or they may be introverts, or they may have other things on their mind. Then again it might, in fact, be you if you come on too strong, put on airs, have b.o., etc.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:34 AM

352 posts, read 751,568 times
Just want to echo lorelai4605217's final words. I live in southeastern Colorado (in a tiny rural town of less than 60 people and not even a gas pump) and have made about 6 trips to SF in the last year. Currently, because of a potential job change, I am considering relocating to The City Different and have been lurking around the forum here.

When I'm in SF, I do what locals do. Shop at thrift stores and Trader Joe's. Walk around the Railyard. Fill up my old vehicle with gas. Sit in the plaza and people-watch and eat fajitas. Attend an open mic night. Get a haircut. Browse around in a bookstore or two. Sit at a coffee shop and read or doodle. Have a snack in a park (or sample the goodies at Whole Foods). And everywhere I go, I connect up with good people. We strike up conversations in line, standing at the corner while waiting for the light to change, in stores, at EmbodyDance or the Farmer's Market or the parking lot of the motel. I approach just about everyone as a potential friend -- and that's what I get back in return. I have made delightful connections and been invited back, and if I ran into someone who was arrogant or unfriendly, I have chosen quickly to forget the whole thing.

Sure, everyone's experience is different. SF is no different than any other place filled with all different types of people who have come from different places and brought along their differing attitudes and behaviors and expectations. Yet still, each of us needs to bear some responsibility for what we create.

Speaking only for myself, my time spent in SF has been marked by crossing paths with locals who are friendly, open, generous, helpful, talented, and filled with wonder and delight. Depending on how things unfold for me in the weeks/months to come, I would be thrilled and grateful to become a local just like them.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:02 PM

20 posts, read 39,063 times
We have a home in Santa Fe (Eldorado) which we plan to retire to when we hit 62. After approximately 22 visits we still find we truly love the area. Coming from the twin cities area of MN we are used to hearing of horrendous crime frequently on OUR nightly local news, the weather here is pretty miserable except Spring and Fall, and "Minnesota Nice" means we have few friends to leave behind. Family and old school chums are important here, and since we moved here for my husband's job we have neither. That's okay, we don't' feel hurt, or left out, we are too busy earning a living. But, our experiences in Santa Fe have overwhelmed us with the friendliness of our neighbors, and the strangers we encounter at dog parks, the grocery stores and even the locals at Walmart. We have never been treated rudely, but then, we are friendly and smiling towards others. I seldom post, but I find it necessary to give my impression of a city I enjoy so much. We find the weather enjoyable because coming from the midwest and Yuma, AZ, (We've had both extremes!) we find it is so moderate in all seasons, we like the tri-cultural influences, the fantastic food, the wonderful scenery with lots of outdoor opportunities to enjoy, as well as friendly, and may I add interesting people. I just had to share our positive perception of Santa Fe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe