U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:11 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,365,211 times

Advertisements

We have always had positive experiences in S.F. and Abq. One reason I originally posted was I was so taken aback by negative comments from a Santa Fean visiting my area. Thanks for the positive outlook on Santa Fe!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,424 times
We moved to Santa Fe earlier this year. We love it. If you are an outdoors person, this is a great place to be - the weather is almost perfect. It is dog-friendly too which is important to us. I've read in this thread that "there is nothing to do" in Santa Fe. I guess what they mean is there is nothing that they want to do. Look at the Calender of Events on the Santa Fe web site. It goes on and on. There are many groups to join up with - look at the meeting.com site for the Santa Fe area.

Sure there are issues - every city has em. We have medicare and a supplement and it took a bit to find a doctor that accepted new patients. I ended up with a certified nurse practitioner for primary care. I have never had a better doctor.
She personally calls to discuss lab results and next steps. Not like the front desk calling with results and the doc never following up like I had before. CNP's in NM can prescribe your medication too.

Everyone has been very friendly to us so far, haven't run into the snobbism yet. Guess I have to mention I used to live in San Francisco area too ;-) And no, we aren't rich enough to qualify for snobbism.

Yes, folks have mentioned the schools aren't the tops. We are retired so that doesn't affect us. They seem to like the community college which also has classes that cater to adults and retirees.

I guess Santa Fe is going to be what you make of it. We are pretty happy here.

p.s. Having so many good restaurants is a BIG plus!

Old 07-17-2013, 03:42 PM

39 posts, read 80,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
I guess this means you want to be at the bottom of things like great arts, great air quality, great weather, potential for natural disasters, hiking/outdoor opportunities, restaurants/dining opportunities, ...?

I think a lot of Santa Fe's strong positives get taken for granted by residents, plus they don't realize how things (e.g., crime) they see as negatives in Santa Fe can be a lot worse in a lot of other places.
No, I don't wish to be "at the bottom of things like great arts..." what a silly thing to say. I was just relating some statistics. Not making anything up. I love the air quality, except during fire season...I love hiking, when people obey leash laws and I love restaurants but seeing as my hubby is a chef, I am fairly well fed. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:56 AM

Why are schools considered so bad?

Old 07-21-2013, 01:24 PM

974 posts, read 2,209,388 times
The short answer would be test scores. According to statistics reported by US News and World Report there are six public high schools (counting general and charter schools, but not private) in Santa Fe. Four of these are old enough to have college readiness scores, and all four have higher ratings than the NM state averages - but poorer proficiency ratings in math and reading. The relatively larger number of students born or raised in non-English-speaking households, who haven't mastered the English language, probably accounts for at least some of those low scores. Educational achievement is also, unfortunately, directly related to socio-economic indicators and Santa Fe has 16.5% of its population living below the poverty level (according to latest census figures).

Old 07-22-2013, 07:45 AM

Thanks, just curious don't have school age kids anymore. Wish it was better for families that do, good public schools are so important.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,137 times
I thought Santa Fe was reasonably priced. You just have to know where to go. I don't know about the real estate but I hear it's a little cheaper than Durango, Co. There is a French connection that I like and probably has the most culture of any Southwest city. It's a beautiful little city. Yes, there are eccentric people but I find them so fun to watch. My partner and I get a good laugh. I like people watching. I wish I could retire in Santa Fe!

Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 AM

963 posts, read 2,204,409 times
I visit Santa Fe almost once a week (coming from ABQ). I am from NYC. Santa Fe and Albuquerque are both wonderful places to visit and live. ABQ offers a better value when it comes to cost of living, but Santa Fe is always a wonderful experience and very satisfying culturally to this ex New Yorker. Santa Fe is a better place to retire to than raise a family. It has a highly cultured sense of style that may be a feel a bit pretentious to some, hence all the negative talk from some on this forum. It looks more pretentious than it really is. It is the most visually appealing city in the southwest. The art and restaurant scene in Santa Fe reminds me of Paris, France, in the way it defines the spirit and culture of the city.

If you have a positive outlook and reflect that in how you view and treat people you will get it back in full measure in Santa Fe. The cultural mix of New Mexico in general makes for some of the most pleasant and unpretentious people in the country. If you love the outdoors and exploring new cultures, this is one of the best places to be. Personally, I love the fact that I can hop on the Railrunner from ABQ and have dinner and a stroll in Santa Fe whenever I wish. I do not miss that drive. Its better than taking the subway to see a show in Manhattan (and much cheaper).

P.S. I do love all that adobe architecture in Santa Fe ...

Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 AM

Santa Fe gives me a sense of place and I'm really drawn to it. The entire southwest has a feel I've never experienced anywhere else. Seems some people are drawn to it immediately. I'm not a newager or as some say a whoo, whoo person but it is a gut level response. The first trip out, probably 20 years ago, I felt it, has always stayed with me. Thanks for the picture, it is wonderful.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:17 PM

65 posts, read 146,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
I visit Santa Fe almost once a week (coming from ABQ). I am from NYC. Santa Fe and Albuquerque are both wonderful places to visit and live. ABQ offers a better value when it comes to cost of living, but Santa Fe is always a wonderful experience and very satisfying culturally to this ex New Yorker. Santa Fe is a better place to retire to than raise a family. It has a highly cultured sense of style that may be a feel a bit pretentious to some, hence all the negative talk from some on this forum. It looks more pretentious than it really is. It is the most visually appealing city in the southwest. The art and restaurant scene in Santa Fe reminds me of Paris, France, in the way it defines the spirit and culture of the city.

If you have a positive outlook and reflect that in how you view and treat people you will get it back in full measure in Santa Fe. The cultural mix of New Mexico in general makes for some of the most pleasant and unpretentious people in the country. If you love the outdoors and exploring new cultures, this is one of the best places to be. Personally, I love the fact that I can hop on the Railrunner from ABQ and have dinner and a stroll in Santa Fe whenever I wish. I do not miss that drive. Its better than taking the subway to see a show in Manhattan (and much cheaper).

P.S. I do love all that adobe architecture in Santa Fe ...
I really liked your post, especially the bolded sentence. Its very true. Sometimes I need to be reminded to be positive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe