U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 AM

60 posts, read 125,036 times

Advertisements

I've moved from Chicago. Lived in Chicago for over 30 years. Been coming to Santa Fe for about 10 years and finally decided to move here. Why? Decision came down to Santa Fe or NYC (had enough of Chicago). Did I make the right choice? Been here about 18 month, and I think so.

No one place has everything. If you are young, looking to make your mark, Santa Fe is not for you (unless you work in the film industry - more on that later). If you are young, with small kids and can't afford a private school, Santa Fe is not for you. While Santa Fe's school system is better than most in Texas, it is still not up to par. The private schools are Excellent though. If you are "post-kids" and don't have a job which ties you to a different location, then Santa Fe "may" work for you, depends upon your personality and needs. If you are retired, like great weather, no bugs, great food, relaxed atmosphere, being outside, amazing social events and simply a less-crowded and relaxed life-style, then this may really be the place for you.

My goal is currently to remove "stress" from life. As a "type-A" person I got caught up in it for nearly 30 years. A lot of success sin life, but also a lot of stress. So much so that I had a heart attack earlier this year. While some bash the local hospital, I can tell you if I was still in Chicago (suburbs) I don't think I would be here today. The facilities are not the best, but the doctors are outstanding (and I come from a medical family). When I asked my Cardiologist why there are so many doctors from Stanford, Harvard, Mayo Clinic, etc. at the hospital, his reply was, "When your at the top of your game you get to decide where you want to go, not the other way around."

As for the film industry, it is booming here. Studio 25 in Abq if bustling and the just official opened the Santa Fe studios just outside of town. A state-of-the-art facility, huge. The show Longmire shoots at the Santa Fe University which has a complete studio on campus. Both my sons are in the industry, and tell me how much work there is here. It is quickly taking over from Vancouver as the new "little Hollywood".

So, a lot to cover. Santa Fe is more than just the tourist season. Come down in the Spring or Fall (my personal favorite). Visit the Farmer's Market, head over to Kakawa for a hot-chocolate (just rated in the top 10 for chocolate in the US), wander the plaza, or head into the mountains to see the Aspens in full color.

Whatever you do, do not base your assessment of Santa Fe on speculation and random statistics. A town is like a good loafer. You have to try it on to see if it fits before deciding to walk a few years in it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,368,136 times
Why are the facilities not the best but Drs. outstanding? Do patients get sent to Abq. fairly often for better hospital care?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 AM

60 posts, read 125,036 times
Yes, of course. Realize Santa Fe is a small town. It simply can not afford the infrastructure that a true city can afford. As such, emergency care is fairly good, but non-emergency care is much better in Abq.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 AM

455 posts, read 593,471 times
It is perhaps more accurate to say that the hospital has "pockets" of good care. The partnership between Christus Health and St. Vincents has generally been an upgrade. It certainly saved the hospital financially (they were on the verge of not being able to meet payroll when Christus arrived). My wife had day surgery there to remove her gall bladder within the past year and received good care. For specialty care, it is usually best to look elsewhere (often outside of NM). The comment about all the excellent doctors in SF does not generally resonate with our experience there, but there are some. Doctors tend to find that trying to live in Santa Fe at the top end of the social ladder is very expensive. It doesn't help when so much of the patient base is uninsured (perhaps that will change now). This will not be a popular opinion, but the biggest problem the hospital faces is the confrontational politics that originate with having a unionized nursing workforce.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM

26,530 posts, read 48,575,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Why are the facilities not the best but Drs. outstanding? Do patients get sent to Abq. fairly often for better hospital care?
ABQ certainly has more medical facilities than Santa Fe.

There are several websites which attempt to rate hospitals. Personal experiences may not always be really accurate. And of course the tales of "a friend, uncle, neighbor etc etc etc" really are not helpful. I can say that hospitals saved my life three times (One time without a doubt)...

Here are two sites which rate hospitals in the Santa Fe area:
Santa Fe County Hospitals - List of Best Hospitals in Santa Fe, NM - ThirdAge.com

Facilities in Santa Fe, New Mexico (NM) - Hospital Ratings, Cost, Length of Stay, Affiliated Physicians, More...

Old 11-14-2013, 06:18 PM

209 posts, read 444,531 times
There are not enough nurses at St. Vic's. They keep advertising the latest wiz bang doc coming to town but we need nurses. They keep people ALIVE when they are in the hospital. So no I cannot agree with the assertion that the confrontation is coming from the nurses union. Their interest is to provide patient care and to not burn out, two opposing goals under the current regime. I'm sure the management there would love to bust the union because for them it's a money game and when that is done, does anyone think it will get better?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 PM

See, I said it wouldn't be a popular opinion, lol. Staffing levels for nurses at St. Vincents is similar or better than hospitals across the nation. Not popular, but a fact...

Old 11-15-2013, 10:29 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,368,136 times
So what is Physicians Medical Center with only 12 beds? Asheville, NC is small town but Mission Hospital is well thought of by most people. Larger facilities are in Charlotte 2.5 hours away.They do send people to other places if needed but from what I know most routine done on site. Maybe higher population in surrounding area here or we are not as close as Abq. is to S.F.? Medical always a concern when you are older and considering relocation. Seems to be a good deal of negative so curious.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:57 AM

PMC is a small general surgical unit in Santa Fe that is also run by Christus St. Vincent. Lots of private insurance clientel. Hospital care in Santa Fe is pretty good on average. Like any small town, if you want specialzed procedures or care you will end up going to a much larger medical center. That will be Albuquerque for some things and farther away (Denver, Salt Lake City, etc.) for others.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 AM

26,530 posts, read 48,575,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Larger facilities are in Charlotte 2.5 hours away.They do send people to other places if needed but from what I know most routine done on site. Maybe higher population in surrounding area here or we are not as close as Abq.
The "higher population in surrounding area" is Albuquerque, 60 miles away, about an hour. That is the largest concentration of medical facilities in the state. New Mexico has a lot of open secluded spaces...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe