Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,282 times

Advertisements

Picking up my car today from the service center after $600 worth of rodent damage repaired. We live in Eldorado and have three dogs (a cat is out of the question). Have had exterminators place bait traps around the garage. Anyone else have this (or other rodent related problems) or have any ideas how to solve? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 01:27 AM

560 posts, read 1,714,536 times
Welcome to the club! When I lived in Eldorado they caused about $700 worth of electrical damage to my Volvo. I suspected it was because the car is low and easy for them to get too... until my sister had the same issue with her Blazer.

My mechanic recommended peppermint. To my surprise the peppermint does seem to keep them away. I sprayed a peppermint scent my Mom had all over my engine compartment every Spring time for the last couple of years... seems to work.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 AM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times
First, make sure your garage is well-sealed. Often mice will come in through ill-fitting garage-door sweeps. Replacing these gaskets are easy and inexpensive. Then, I'd place simple mousetraps (peanut butter makes a good bait) around the inside perimeter walls to kill any mice currently lodging in your garage. I've found that professional, enclosed and locked bait stations (so your dogs can't get to the bait) strategically placed around the exterior of your home is best to keep rodents out of your house. If you keep a car or truck outside, then I've found that simply keeping the hood up keeps rodents from building nests in the engine compartment. There are also sachets filled with repellent that you can tie to a hose in the engine compartment that also appear to discourage nesting.
It's one of the joys of living in the country - but I've known city folks who have to fight the same issue.
Oh yes - you should check your engine compartment often to see if there's any activity. Glue strips placed overnight where you see activity might also help......

Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoSF View Post
Picking up my car today from the service center after $600 worth of rodent damage repaired. We live in Eldorado and have three dogs (a cat is out of the question). Have had exterminators place bait traps around the garage. Anyone else have this (or other rodent related problems) or have any ideas how to solve? Thanks!
I've seen it happen from Rio Rancho, NM to Munich Germany. Various rodents. I suspect this time of year it might be squirrels, at least here in Rio Rancho... Lately I've seen them digging and chewing. Our neighbor had vehicle damage two years ago, chewed rubber parts in the engine compartment.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:29 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
For marmots in the high country of Montana & Colorado, moth balls in the engines are sometimes recommended.

In the attics of our cabins in the NM mountains we use Fresh Cab rodent repellent that we get in Santa Fe at the feed store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe