Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 AM

22 posts, read 35,145 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm a young woman who might be going to art school in Santa Fe. I'll admit it, I know nothing about the area (I'm from NJ), and I was wondering if you guys could give me further information about it. I've been looking up living costs and was shocked it was just as expensive as here in the East. I'd only be working a minimum wage job there (in order to balance a full time course load) I have an extra income through freelancing as well. I estimate my price range for rent would be about $600 a month. What surrounding areas would be cheaper for a student? I looked at Albuquerque, but it's about an hour drive (without traffic) to my classes.

I don't want to live in the dorms because I'm an older student, and I'm kind of over the partying thing. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 AM

60 posts, read 130,041 times
Check out Craig's list. I am originally from NJ, and the cost of living here is nowhere near as bad as the East Coast. However, there is a great range as you have locals as well as retirees in expensive homes, so there is a great deal of variability.

Where are you going to school? I know that the College of Art and Design has very inexpensive and good housing on campus. Also, we have something out here called Casitas or guest houses. Many people have them as part of a more expensive home. Many are rented out to college students at very reasonable rates. Even cheaper if they owners are only part-time and you will agree to "house-sit" the primary residence. You can generally find these on Craigslist or by using a local Real Estate agent. Get a copy of the Santa Fe New Mexican as well (if you can get it locally or on-line) and look there.

Santa Fe is expensive when you compare it to Alb, but nowhere near what the East Coast costs. You should do fine. My son was out here for the Summer and worked a part-time job and made great money, almost $5,000 in six weeks. It is doable as we have the second highest minimum wage in the country at the moment.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2013, 08:40 AM

65 posts, read 153,722 times
It is very expensive, but if you're careful with how you spend your money you should be fine. I would try some of the apartments on the south side....it's not as dangerous as many people make it out to be. Also, a lot of the low income apartments in Santa Fe are actually very decent, you may want to try those.
The Bluffs at Tierra Contenta
Paseo Del Sol Apartments
Vista Allegre
The ones next to Paseo del Sol...I forgot the names to those, to name a few.
As mentioned above, you could also try to look at the casitas.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 6,092 times
I know this is not really related to your question but what school are you attending? My daughter will be applying to Santa Fe University of Art and Design (SFUAD) for the fall of 2014. Would be interested in your thoughts and perspective. Good luck with the housing!

Old 11-04-2013, 03:46 PM

22 posts, read 35,145 times
nm2014, that's exactly where I sent my portfolio! I haven't heard an answer back just yet so I'm not sure if I'm getting in or not, but I have high hopes. I'm learning about it right now, so I might be in the same boat as your daughter in terms of knowledge. What is she going to majoring in? I applied to the creative writing department.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,363 times
You might want to consider looking for a housemate or renting a room. Often, this is the best option if you can find some like minded people sharing a really nice space together. You can look on Craigslist. With $600 a month, you can probably find something nice. I have to disagree with a previous poster about the apartments. Many on this side of town are not the greatest, although, as with anything, it's a toss up. The school you will possibly be attended is an incredible school with many like minded and creative people. Santa Fe is not really a "party" town but definitely has some of the most creative people anywhere. Best of luck!

Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 PM

5 posts, read 6,092 times
little_kitkat - sorry I didn't get back to you -
My daughter applied to the digital arts program. An admissions counselor called right away to say that they received her application and her portfolio was reviewed by the head of the department. He sent a letter to her within a few days. No official word because she still needs to submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc. If you haven't heard from them I'd call. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe