Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:29 PM

326 posts, read 673,086 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I have just registered here and have already introduced myself on the AZ forum, so apologies if you have read this before.

My name is Stefan (what a surprise) and I live in Heidelberg, Germany. I have lived in PHX for a year in 96/97 and have since been back a number of times to visit the family I have stayed with during my time in AZ. I consider Arizon my second home.

I am presently looking to buy some land in Arizona or New Mexico. I know Arizona quite well but have only driven through NM once and that was 10 years ago. My friends in AZ tell me that NM is a very pretty state and what I have seen on the web supports that. I am therefore expanding my search to NM.

I presently live and work in Europe but could see myself moving to the States one day, provided I can get a greencard and find a job.

I am looking for 1-5+ acre, possibly in the Santa Fe area (within an hour)

Electricity not needed, well must be feasible.

Close to an airport (general aviation) would be nice.

I would want to be able to build a home on the parcel so it needs residential zoning.

My Budget is around 50k.

Any pointers on where to start my search?

I will be travelling to Arizona/New Mexico in February/March and would appreciate any help from fellow members.

Direct messages welcome, too.

Best regards,

Stefan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 05:53 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Stefan,

$50k will not take you very far, though if your savings are in Euros and the dollar continues its current slide, you may be able to buy the whole state in a few months.

Joking aside, you will have a very difficult time finding anything more than a 1/2-acre bare plot of land for $50k near Santa Fe.

Other parts of NM might have much better luck.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:45 AM

Thanks for that. I did notice that Santa Fe is somewhat pricy and larger lots difficult to come by. I guess I will have to see places first hand when I visit in February before I can really narrow down my search. Yes, I will be spending Euros which, together with the ral estate crisis, is one of the reasons why I am looking to buy in the US know.
How about the Albuquerque area (say one hour radius)?

What I haven't found yet is a property listing where I can search the MLS using a radius-based search. For example example "homes within X miles of zipcode/city Y etc...

Has anybody seen such a search site?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:04 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
I recommend zillow.com as a resource. Pretty useful.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:41 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Try realtor.com, you can search by zip codes, not sure if you can add a radius or not however.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,627 times
Default I live in Santa Fe

and can give you any info you like. You would really like Santa Fe.
Property is pricey....bring your wallet. But good deals are coming up now with the economy as bad as it is.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the links everybody. Clarice, I am sure I would love Santa Fe. The pictures I have seen look great. I may be able to afford a really small lot in the area but I was really looking for something 1acre+ and I am not sure how close to SF I could get given i don't want to spend much more than 50k...? any ideas?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:42 PM

30 posts, read 120,973 times
Default Greencards ??

You said ..>> " My name is Stefan (what a surprise) and I live in Heidelberg, Germany.
I am presently looking to buy some land in Arizona or New Mexico. I am therefore expanding my search to NM.
I presently live and work in Europe but could see myself moving to the States one day, Provided I can get a greencard and find a job."

** Hi: Stefan

You asked...> " Provided I can get a greencard and find a job."

You don't need a greencard, Lots of mexicans come here with out them ( green cards) and work here and buy homes and land too !!!

LOL....LOL

Later
~ Oro

Old 11-29-2007, 02:24 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Realtor.com, click on "advanced search" and you have a choice of communities within 10 or 20 or 30 miles (and up) from your stated area of interest. The names of nearby areas sometimes seem plucked from the air, but overall they are real places in that radius.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Question Electricity

Hi, Stefan. I'm confused by the statement, "Electricity not needed, well must be feasible". Can you clarify that? $50K won't buy much around Santa Fe.

brightdoglover: I just can't help asking: Does your username mean that you are bright and a dog lover, or that you love bright dogs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe