Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,619 times

Advertisements

I'm as a asian gay men from Vancouver BC (lot of Asians , very gay friendly) temporarily moving to work in Santa Fe and ABQ (stay in Santa Fe) for a year and a half. Starting this July.

So.. I wanna know about situation of discrimination against asians and gays in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 02:13 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
I've never heard of an instance of that.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
I guess its not an issue, unless you try to make it an issue...

It's not an issue with my family or I.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:51 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Never seen it. I honestly can't imagine any sort of discrimination being an issue in Santa Fe - racial, sexual, gender, etc. It's a very liberal, very progressive-minded town. It also has a fairly well-rooted gay community, although I believe it tends to skew older and toward folks in relationships, so it's not ideal for folks wanting to date. (of course it's not ideal for straight folks wanting to date, either). I think the main targets of derision in Santa Fe are the folks who use too much water for growing lawns in a desert.

ABQ is a larger city, so there are probably pockets of foolishness there. But I find NM as a whole to be a fairly libertarian sort of state -- everyone does his own thing and doesn't take issue with others who are doing their own things.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:06 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,683 times
Hmmm, let's see...Santa Fe just overwhelmingly elected its first openly gay Mayor, and there's at least one lesbian city councilor and perhaps other GLBT elected officials - but we don't keep count as we just don't consider that an important issue here. Neither is the fact that you're Asian. I don't think you have any reason for concern at all; not that Neanderthals don't exist in any town.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:14 AM

28 posts, read 72,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huita View Post
I'm as a asian gay men from Vancouver BC (lot of Asians , very gay friendly) temporarily moving to work in Santa Fe and ABQ (stay in Santa Fe) for a year and a half. Starting this July.

So.. I wanna know about situation of discrimination against asians and gays in these areas.
Honestly, as a gay Asian man you'd be a lot safer walking around in Santa Fe or ABQ than in any other city in the Southwest US, except of course for L.A. or San Francisco.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:57 PM

60 posts, read 130,044 times
You're good to go. Love to have you.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 AM

65 posts, read 153,732 times
I will agree that discrimination isn't really an issue in Santa Fe....or at least because you're Asian and gay. I felt like an outsider while living there, but I felt it was more my personality (I am very shy and socially withdrawn), the fact I was not born and raised there, and I just couldn't fit in.
My advice would be to get involved in the community, make yourself open and friendly, and be helpful. As I always say, Santa Fe (and New Mexico) is a good place, but its not for me. Maybe it will be for you.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:17 PM

560 posts, read 1,715,244 times
Have no worries about being gay (or Asian) in Santa Fe. As for Albuquerque, being gay shouldn't be an issue for the most part. In my opinion... for New Mexico in general... as long as your not getting up in peoples faces about it, no one is really going to care.

Speaking in general about New Mexico... One thing to keep in mind, this is a largely Catholic state... and my observation is that unlike a lot of other places, many here are actually practicing Catholics. Because of that, while the attitude toward homosexuality might live-and-let-live, the attitude toward gay marriage might be a bit more traditional. (It is legal here by the way.) But again, as long as you're not picketing outside a Church as people leave Mass... I doubt you'll run into any issues. Okay... that was an extreme example... but my point is that it is unlikely to be an issue with people unless you make it an issue first. People here are fairly laid-back for the most part.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 AM

5 posts, read 7,297 times
I agree with the other posters that SF is a gay tolerant place, but as an ex-resident of San Francisco, NYC, and Boston, all cities with good Asian restaurants, grocery stores, and festivals, you're going to find yourself missing Asian culture I suspect. There are almost no Asian communities or neighborhoods in NM, and hence little Asian culture or authentic foods (Tau Lin's in ABQ being a welcome exception). Other than that you'll probably do well in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe