Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:04 PM

22 posts, read 44,915 times

Advertisements

Not being able to find the answer with the forum's search function, I figured this was a well known fact to locals, so I'm asking here.

I'm interested in different homes in the Eldorado area, and see a big swath of land between its western and northern borders and Hwy 14 and I-25, respectively. There are no roads connecting Eldorado to Hwy 14, so if you want to get on a highway, you're heading east to the 84. The land being "open space" now is of course alluring, but if it's slated for high-density housing, or manufacturing, or even gravel mining (like in Placitas -- man, that was a shocker to me), well, I'd rather know now before investing too much more energy in this direction.

Thanks in advance for any info you are able to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 08:05 PM

98 posts, read 215,334 times
Does this area include the proposed La Bajada Strip Mine? Or perhaps that is on the other side on 14?

Old 06-16-2014, 08:32 AM

That appears to be a different location. Here are the areas I was referring to in my OP:

Old 07-12-2014, 09:05 PM

887 posts, read 1,210,124 times
Curious as well. VERY curious about gravel pits in Placitas.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:45 PM

138 posts, read 269,194 times
I do not anticipate that land to be developed anytime soon. Santa Fe is VERY sensitive to managing our growth and limiting it due to water concerns. There is one area that is currently subdivided but tied up in red tape that is between Eldorado and Spur Ranch Rd, but aside from that I don't envision new subdivisions in that area as we've had basically a moratorium on new developments in that area for some time.

Santa Fe County is slated to develop a new zoning code (supposedly in December) that will further limit new development. Here is a link to the new map Santa Fe County : Sustainable Land Development Code : How To Use The Santa Fe County Zoning Map

you can look up any area here and by reading the new zoning code you can see what the density limitations on a given area would be. The area I think you are talking about (that isn't state-owned land) will be zoned "rural fringe" allowing only 1 dwelling per 20acres.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyT63 View Post
I do not anticipate that land to be developed anytime soon. Santa Fe is VERY sensitive to managing our growth and limiting it due to water concerns. There is one area that is currently subdivided but tied up in red tape that is between Eldorado and Spur Ranch Rd, but aside from that I don't envision new subdivisions in that area as we've had basically a moratorium on new developments in that area for some time.

Santa Fe County is slated to develop a new zoning code (supposedly in December) that will further limit new development. Here is a link to the new map Santa Fe County : Sustainable Land Development Code : How To Use The Santa Fe County Zoning Map

you can look up any area here and by reading the new zoning code you can see what the density limitations on a given area would be. The area I think you are talking about (that isn't state-owned land) will be zoned "rural fringe" allowing only 1 dwelling per 20acres.

Thanks for your info! Really helpful.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:51 PM

974 posts, read 2,338,448 times
There are actually several "communities" between Hay 285 (Eldorado) and Hwy 14, but you have to head south on 285, then southwest on Hwy 41 to Galisteo and then east on Hwy 42 to Hwy 14. It's a beautiful drive.
South of Eldorado, past Spur Ranch on the east side is Lamy and its environs. On the west side of 285 is the conservation development called the Galisteo Basin Preserve, which has some beautiful lots and several very nice homes have been built there already. Then as you head southwest on 41 there are some larger properties (a couple for sale) on the way to the village of Galisteo - an historic village inhabited by old-line families and artists (some for sale there too). And then as you go west on Hwy 42, you go through Ranchos de Galisteo (a couple of homes and parcels for sale here as well), then past ranch land (I believe there's a large southernmost parcel of the Preserve still for sale on that road) and as you get closer to Hwy 14 there'll be a number of homes there as well. Hwy 42 was paved a few years ago, so the drive from Eldorado all the way to Hwy 14 going the way I outlined above shouldn't take more than 25 minutes.
Any other questions?

Old 07-19-2014, 02:06 PM

NM Curious: Sorry, I now saw the map you posted so I had the wrong area in mind. The circles west of Eldorado look like they are actually part of the Rancho Viejo holdings - yes, Eldorado abuts Rancho Viejo. It'll be many years, if ever, before Rancho Viejo expands that far east - but they could, or they could sell that portion to another developer. As another poster said, the County is pretty strict when it comes to new developments, so it may never happen. The circle that's most south looks to be acreage that is a new development of Joe Miller's (a local rancher who is developing or is selling off a lot of his holdings). I think he's calling it Tierra Bello. This development (I don't believe anything has been built yet) will allow manufactured (not mobile homes as some have said) homes on "small" lots of 2 acres. This development is quite controversial within the local community - both for the density and for allowing manufactured homes as well as for the environmental impact re: water use.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
NM Curious: Sorry, I now saw the map you posted so I had the wrong area in mind. The circles west of Eldorado look like they are actually part of the Rancho Viejo holdings - yes, Eldorado abuts Rancho Viejo. It'll be many years, if ever, before Rancho Viejo expands that far east - but they could, or they could sell that portion to another developer. As another poster said, the County is pretty strict when it comes to new developments, so it may never happen. The circle that's most south looks to be acreage that is a new development of Joe Miller's (a local rancher who is developing or is selling off a lot of his holdings). I think he's calling it Tierra Bello. This development (I don't believe anything has been built yet) will allow manufactured (not mobile homes as some have said) homes on "small" lots of 2 acres. This development is quite controversial within the local community - both for the density and for allowing manufactured homes as well as for the environmental impact re: water use.
Thanks for the great info!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 AM

As I look more at your circled areas, that Tierra Bello development is probably a bit further east, into the shaded area. The western portion is rangeland - it's pretty high and dry and I doubt it's suitable for much development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe