U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 12,963 times

Advertisements

very helpful. thanks T-Rose.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 09:11 PM

17 posts, read 84,753 times
Default HOOOOORAY, we did it!!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my husband and I were planning a trip to Santa Fe to explore the home buying options in Eldorado. We did it! We found a beautiful home - actually our "dream home" in Eldorado, and it's under contract. We pinch ourselves everyday when we consider the price, the location and the wonderful people who made this all possible. The broker, the listing agent, the seller herself and the bank have gone beyond our expectations. I am from Northern California, and I am very honest when I say that the same home in this area would have sold for at least $1,000,000, but we were able to buy this home for under $400,000, and we are still in a state of shock. I would be happy to relay any information about Eldorado to anyone who is considering a move. For those of you who think that Santa Fe is for the wealthy or that there is some sort of snob appeal, believe me, we found nothing but very caring and down-to-earth folks when we were exploring. We can't wait to share our lives with the people and beauty of Santa Fe.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,676,847 times
633red!!!!!!

How exciting!!! When will you be moving????? I want to hear about every single step in the process, as we will be moving to Eldorado later this year!

Old 02-03-2007, 08:51 AM

271 posts, read 1,092,972 times
Default I Want To Move There Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklinebryan View Post
Hi Hank! Well, those were all good questions. It sounds like you guys would be just fine here. though, even considering the higher than some cost of living expenses. Basically, it's pretty esy to make a living here if you have a "trade" of some sort, like you guys do. There's plenty of opportunity, it's really only hard if you don't have a degree or a trade of any sort at all. The cost of living here is higher than in some places, but it's a nicer place to live than a lot of places too.
Have you guys thought about what type of living situation you'll be looking for-condo,house,apartment rental, etc? The main place you'll see the cost of living problem is in the housing market, houses in a decent part of town can be expensive, many times starting out in the mid 300's. There are some very nice condo communitites, with good central locations and nice amenities which are going to range from about $150-$225,000. Otherwise, you may be looking at one of the surrounding communities, where you can find properties for less if you don't mind the commute. I personally live 40 miles away frrom Santa Fe, but I do commute in every day as I work in Santa fe. You're many times better off buying too, even if you start out in a condo and then graduate to a house after a couple years, because rents here are pretty high, and many times cost as much as a mortgage would.
As far as finding a job with your nutrition PhD, I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Santa Fe in general is a very health concious, and environmentally concious place, (There's a Whole foods, Trader Joes, and Wild Oats Market all within a couple blocks of each other). There are lots of new medical clinics being built, and a couple of really nice colleges including St John's and College of Santa Fe which all may hold opportunities for you.
Anyhow, hopefully this helped! please feel free to contact me if there is anyhting else I can answer for you!

I'm an artist (a painter) and I'm considering movig to an affordable (less than $200,000) place in or close to SF, but since I live alone I would prefer a condo or a townhouse with sufficient security, just in case I am absent for a few weeks and I don't want to find my house burglarized on my return.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:31 PM

7 posts, read 28,149 times
Re. healthplans: definitely stay away from Lovelace; they're TERRIBLE. Good luck getting adequate care at any Lovelace hospital; all are woefully understaffed. Also, most private practice physicians won't take Lovelace insurance.

Presbyterian is alright, but if you ever travel, you will not have coverage despite how they say that you will. And their billing IS messed up.

I'm on Blue Cross (PPO) and am very satisfied. I have a wide range of providers to select from and have coverage when I travel, too. It is more expensive, but hey, you get what you pay for, right?

Congratulations on getting your house! The market is down in Santa Fe right now but will probably pick up when the Fed cuts rates this summer.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:06 PM

17 posts, read 84,753 times
TheFamousAJ,

Thanks for your information RE health plans. It is a bit overwhelming with all the other details involved in moving. I think we will get all the info. we can about Presbyterian. Thanks again.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:46 PM

271 posts, read 1,092,972 times
I wanted to move to Santa fe as my first choice because I'm an artist, but I was told by my realtor than the medium price for a regular size home was $450,000. So I gave up right there and went to look into Las Cruces where I bought something, not cheap but definitely under $450,000. Believe me, I have lived in Chicago and I tought that New Mexico was going to be a lot less expensive, but actually there is only a small difference. I should have bought something 20 years ago.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:42 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,676,847 times
We bought our property in Eldorado near Santa Fe fifteen years ago. It is all paid for and the value has increased six-fold. Because we already own the very expensive land, we are going to be able to afford (barely) to build a house on it.

Buying that land was one of the smartest things we ever did.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 15,812 times
First of all, I'd definitely avoid Espanola. If you can stand the longer commute (45 minutes or so), Rio Rancho is certainly worth looking into, especially the newly developing north end, which is closer to I-25 (in Bernalillo). Also, as someone mentioned, the RailRunner commuter train should be operating to SF from Bernalillo in the near future. You can find a house in the $150K bracket in a decent single-family development in Rio Rancho. Good place to raise kids, and the Albuquerque area is cheaper than Santa Fe for gas, groceries, etc. Lots of kid-friendly activities and amenities in Albuquerque, too (zoo, aquarium, natural history museum, kid's science museum, lots of parks and summer programs.)

I can't imagine where you'd find a place for $150K in Santa Fe -- most empty lots cost more than that, and you'd figure at least $100/sq' to build on it. Check realtor.com for an idea of housing prices in SF and RR, and mapquest can give you estimated commute times.

You would definitely like the climate here after Houston! No humidity, and even if it's hot, the aridity means you never feel sweaty and clammy.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:54 AM

56 posts, read 156,965 times
In Eldorado (great neighborhood - lowest crime) my realtor told me recently that a 2 bdrm 1 1/2 bath 1000 sq ft home with a 1 car grag sold for $260K but that is very rare. Very hard to find a home under $300k.
The school system in SF s*@ks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe