U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2007, 10:04 AM

3,011 posts, read 9,676,303 times

Advertisements

shammy ~

I don't have any children in school anymore, but I am interested to know what the school in Eldorado is like. Is it a part of the Santa Fe school system?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 AM

56 posts, read 156,952 times
Towanda - the grade school in Eldorado (and it's lower grades only) is one of the best in NM. It is also one of the richest.
After grade school my friends with kids tell me, it really goes downhill. I know people who really can't afford it but are spending thousands per year at the Santa Fe Academy and other private schools because their kids have been crime victims in the high schools in SF.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 AM

7,599 posts, read 17,801,479 times
Santa Fe would be a great place to live, if you like that kind of place. Everything looking the same just dosent get me going. Plus its the only place in the world ive ever spent $8 on a 12oz bottle of beer!

Old 03-03-2007, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,527 times
Default living in Santa Fe

Santa Fe is certainly an expensive place, but I was able to find a three-bedroom home within 1 1/2 miles from the Plaza for under 300K. I might be in the minority, but I do believe that houses are out there, especially in Casa Allegre and definitely near Airport Rd (south of town) that are affordable.

Rio Rancho is certainly more affordable, but in my opinion, you're just in another giant suburb where it takes at least 30 minutes to get to Albuquerque and 45 to Santa Fe.

I don't know about the schools, but what I've heard isn't that great. There are some good charter schools out there, though.

For me, the joy of Santa Fe (and what's worth paying for) is the big sky, mountains, world-class food and culture, lack of humidity, 300+ days of sunshine, not too hot summers and close proximity to all sorts of outdoor activities.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:49 PM

Thanks for your post, sabbaticalgirl. As a future Santa Fe resident, it is nice to read something positive from someone who lives in the city. I look forward to more of your posts about Santa Fe in the future.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:50 PM

271 posts, read 1,092,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Thanks for your post, sabbaticalgirl. As a future Santa Fe resident, it is nice to read something positive from someone who lives in the city. I look forward to more of your posts about Santa Fe in the future.
My first choice was to try to move to Santa Fe, but I had to settle in Las Cruces because I could not afford to buy what I wanted in SF. As a matter of fact, when I told the Real Estate people that I had earmarked $200,000 for housing, they totally ignored me and did not even bother to answer my e-mails, as if I were and indigent person. I supposed that if you tell them you have 300,000 and more available for housing, they will send you a listing. I believe you are very fortunate getting a house for under 300 and I wish you a lot of success in Santa Fe. Please keep us informed about your new experiences as a new resident in that elite city.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:18 PM

We own property in Eldorado that is all paid for and worth a nice little sum compared to what we paid for it. We hope to have a house built on the property, but if the bids from builders come in too high, we will sell the property and will be able to afford to buy an existing home in Eldorado. It's all very exciting!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:09 AM

271 posts, read 1,092,940 times
I consider anyone able to afford 400,000 for a house, on a wealthy side; of course there is nothing wrong wth that, and I hope that you and your family will enjoy your new residence.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:52 PM

17 posts, read 84,751 times
Tito,

I can understand how you might feel that someone who can afford a $400,000home is wealthy. I am 67, and my husband is 64. We have been working our "you know what off" ever since we can remember, and we have been saving and investing wisely. We don't have the benfit of a rich benefactor leaving us a fortune - actually not one person is leaving us anything. I am very fortunate to have a husband who understands the stock market and can make some very rational decisions. We come from incredibly humble beginnings, and we do not consider ourselves part of the "privileged class." That's a real turnoff for us. We feel that we are blessed to be able to move to Santa Fe and if there is any privilege, that is to be able to be in an area that we both respect. We hope to be part of the community and do whatever we can to make Santa Fe (Eldorado) an even better place to call home. Thanks for wishing us good luck in our new home.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:17 PM

633red:

Honestly, I could have written that post myself it is so identical to my situation. Right now we are negotiating with a couple of builders because we still are right on the very border of being able to have a house built in Eldorado. We also are not the privileged class; this is something we have been saving for for many years now. I have a husband who did some good investing through the years, and also who knows exactly what we can afford without having to sacrifice a good annual income in retirement.

633red ~ I am looking forward to meeting you when we get to Eldorado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe