Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 05:22 PM

39 posts, read 85,017 times

Advertisements

I just moved from Santa Fe to Pecos and love it!! I am about 25 min from Santa Fe but I can walk out my back door and hike until I can't hike anymore! It's beautiful. If your partner is a hunter, Pecos is perfect for that too...also, fly fishing.
I commute everyday to the school I teach in and the drive is so pretty and I'm so happy coming back to the woods, I really don't mind it though I've only been doing it one month.
I'm originally from Chicago and my dad lives in Bayfield. We just got quite a bit of snow but it is not debilitating like it is is the Midwest. Plus, no horribly cold winds to deal with! There are some sketchy areas in Pecos just as in Santa Fe. I'll try to post some recent Pecos Pix to tempt a move.

Take good care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 11:25 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
I've looked into the Pecos area a little, but I would be concerned about fire danger. Isn't that the area where there was a massive forest fire not long ago?

Old 02-01-2015, 10:29 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
I've looked into the Pecos area a little, but I would be concerned about fire danger. Isn't that the area where there was a massive forest fire not long ago?
We get fires throughout New Mexico...

"Pecos Fire Latest: Published on Jun 1, 2013 Smoke, flames and sweat, as crews battle two massive wildfires in northern New Mexico."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIRMIogICo

I shot this video from my back yard, and I live in Rio Rancho... "Bosque Fire, Corrales, June 2012 "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tIHZjpc7ME

Local news on the Corrales fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCGgMpJGs0I

Not sure what else to say...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-01-2015 at 07:34 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 11:44 AM

974 posts, read 2,343,683 times
In Santa Fe County before any new construction can be permitted, the site must get approval from the Fire Department. Homes built prior to, I believe, 2002, are considered to be grandfathered-in and are "legal, non-conforming" properties for purposes of fire protection. I was talking with our county fire chief last week, and he told me of a subdivision southeast of town where trees were counted at 1700 per acre, and the FD's recommendation is 17. So, yes, homeowners living in forested areas need to consider fire-wise thinning - but if they're living on a small lot and surrounding neighbors don't do the same, then it may not matter much.... San Miguel County, where most of Pecos is located, may not have similar regulations in place. Fires can occur anyplace; so while I don't think it's a reason not to live someplace, I do believe that a property owner should do what they can to reduce the risks inherent in their choice of surroundings.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:29 PM

5 posts, read 13,327 times
Thank you so much for the response. My other half will be driving through the area on Sunday on his way to Phoenix, and will be looking at a property in Pecos. Snowing like heck here with white out conditions. Love the idea of the hiking and can't wait to see more of the wilderness area. Have always loved the mountains. Would welcome more information and photos as you are able to share! Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe