U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 16,945 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the information.
I just received some information about the Aldea de Santa Fe community. Of course from a web site you only see one portion of it.

Does anyone have any comments?

Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 02:22 PM

24 posts, read 102,126 times
Default Aldea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury793 View Post
Thank you for the information.
I just received some information about the Aldea de Santa Fe community. Of course from a web site you only see one portion of it.

Does anyone have any comments?

Thank you in advance.
Sure. I've toured about 15 homes in Aldea. New Urbanism, nice feel, little hills and mesas, lots of cul-de-sacs, crammed together but in a charming way, with nice open spaces and trails. Prices have probably plummeted in the two years since I was there looking at them.

I was looking with a friend, for him, not me or us, who could well afford anything there, but ultimately prefers his modest little home and big yard in Eldorado, where he lives now.

Some of the homes in Aldea have really nice craftsmanship. I liked the plan of one of the courtyard homes, that had an enclosed courtyard and a separate guest suite in the back. But, it didn't have views. "It is always something." (like the old Sat Night Live routine). How nice it would be to have a courtyard like that, though.

I've been to Aldea three times, most recently about two months ago. I wanted to see it with the Village shops going etc. It was dead. Cue the Twilight Zone music.

Some people, moving from a city, panic at the open spaces, of Eldorado or Cochiti for example. They freak out at the thought someone could just come up, walk through your yard, and press their face against your bedroom window. Others love the open spaces and breathtaking views. In that 600+ range, you'll have a lot of choices, and you should see them all.

If you've got the time, and realtors here have nothing better to do than show you around. There is a one-to-one ratio of realtors to homes for sale. I'm not a realtor, just love houses that's all.

I can give you an opinion on Aldea vs. Zocalo right off or any other place you are looking at, on the internet. Like I said, I like communicating about houses.

Write to me directly at: zorastro(at)gmail(dot)com

If you want.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 AM

332 posts, read 998,164 times
Default Rancho Viejo, Aldea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavious Orgus View Post
loborick,

what is your opinion on..

1. Aldea de Santa Fe

2. Rancho Viejo

Thanks

My opinion wasn't solicited, but here it is anyway!
Both Aldea and Rancho Viejo are hurting bad in this downturn, in terms of homes for sale and actual sales.

In my opinion, in better times, Aldea will do well, because it's thoughtfully designed, it's more or less completely built out (with Las Campanas on one side and 599 on the other so no surprises) and has a nice Plaza that, if it ever gets some retail outlets, can act as the focal point for the neighborhood. Houses there tend to be well built and stylish, too, although that's reflected in a higher per sq ft price. People like the narrower, curved streets, the big views and the lanes with garages at the back. It will probably attract older, empty-nest buyers as it's (a) on the more expensive side of town and (b) has no elementary school. But it's currently got an excessive inventory and therefore any purchase there would be for the longer term.

My opinion of Rancho Viejo is not so sanguine. There are lots of properties for sale there, and my impression is there are a further number of owners waiting for - uh, something - to put their house on the market there too. So there's a serious downward pressure on the market prices. Added to that, the developers have built the next phase at a significantly lower price point, putting further pressure on the mid-to-low priced existing homes. The developers also do sundry promotions with their existing inventory ("free" upgrades, for example) that make it difficult for existing owners to compete. On the good side, it looks like the school district is on track to build a new elementary school in Rancho Viejo, providing some focus for the development and attracting a more balanced population (ie, kids for those empty playgrounds!). So while in the long term, say 10 years given the housing market comes back within the next 2 or 3 yrs, RV will probably shake itself out and have a more "normal" suburban selling pattern, anyone buying now - while they'd get a great price! - has to be ready to roll with it for at least 5 years.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 16,778 times
Default What is Aldea?

Hi Everyone, You have really helped already. I like all the information I get on this site.
Some facts about us: We are just about 60, live in Detroit (YIKES!), and we want to move. Here are my questions:
1. What is good/bad about Aldea NM? We like the idea that it has city water and sewer.
2. Why so many homes on the market?
3. Are wells and septic a problem?
4. What about crime?
5. If we moved to Santa Fe what should we look for, and what should we be particularily aware of?
5. What about heat, property taxes etc? Reasonable?
6. I have studied the housing market pretty thoroughly would like to know what your take is on the general attitude of the market?
7. Saw a great house in-town SF that has structural problems and they use the "intran 11"...does anyone know what that means?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. My Best, and Thanks!

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 02-15-2010 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: Moved post from AZ section to NM...

Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 16,778 times
Default Homes in Aldea

Can anyone tell me about this Santa Fe development? Anyone live there?
We are looking for a house 2,300sq', 3+ Bedrooms, 2+ baths, with authentic detailing, tile/brick/wood floors, possible casita. We are moving to Santa Fe from Michigan.We will be retiring.
Is water an issue?
Crime?
Property taxes? Utilities?
If anyone has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks very much for your patience and time.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:28 AM

Default What is Aldea?

1. What is good/bad about Aldea NM? We like the idea that it has city water and sewer.

Aldea is in a great location and the quality of homes there is high. A well-chosen home there will give excellent views. Some people don't like it because of the layout of the development, which follows the 'new urbanism' style of winding roads, lanes at the back for garages and a dense footprint. Originally homes there were quite expensive, probably too high for the market, but pricing is much more reasonable now as sellers have come to match the market realities. There are several foreclosures and short sales currently available. Over time (3-5 years) I think Aldea will become more integrated - it needs more stores on the Plaza - and the homes there will all sell off. In that time period I think it's a good buy.

2. Why so many homes on the market?

Our days-on-market went up a lot in late summer, and we kept adding more properties to the inventory. So we're at a couple of year's worth of supply now, which is too high. = buyer's market. The market only sells about 1000 homes a year, so it's still relatively small.

3. Are wells and septic a problem?

It depends. If you mean in terms of the quality of the water, some parts of the county are recognized as having more contaminated water. Be sure you get your prospective well thoroughly tested for flow, mechanical and water purity before closing.

Septic systems should also be flushed and tested before closing. Most times they are fine.

Make sure, if you buy a home with a well and/or septic, that you have all the right permits from the sellers. Your realtor will make sure of that.

4. What about crime?

We've got it. Burglaries are high in this town currently, so check the police blotter in any area you are thinking of.

5. If we moved to Santa Fe what should we look for, and what should we be particularily aware of?

Others on this board will give you all the opinions you need - and more! - on that!

5. What about heat, property taxes etc? Reasonable?

Utilities are on par with the region. Property tax on a $400k home will be around $2600 annually.

6. I have studied the housing market pretty thoroughly would like to know what your take is on the general attitude of the market?

Buyer's market. Sellers more reasonable now. Great opportunities at all price points, especially above $600k. Best value sub-$400k is in Eldorado, over $700k is Las Campanas. Eastside is still overpriced. Newer developments like Rancho Viejo and Aldea are looking better, after a slow start.

7. Saw a great house in-town SF that has structural problems and they use the "intran 11"...does anyone know what that means?

Entran II is a radiant heating tubing system that's waiting to die. You realtor can give you all the pros and cons of the system.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 PM

Glad to have been of some help.

$450k puts you out of Aldea, but comfortably in Rancho Viejo or Eldorado. Aldea's foreclosures and short sales are around the early $500's, as they are houses that were overpriced in the late $500's, early $600s and up. At that price you can get great value in and around Eldorado, with the size & specs you're looking for.

Additionally there are properties in town that come up at that price point sometimes, but they would be less than your 2500 sq ft requirement.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:59 PM

Take a look at Oshara Village, too. Built by the same guy who did Aldea. Incredibly energy efficient (actually zero energy use) homes.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:31 AM

107 posts, read 265,674 times
I don't live in Aldea, but we have checked it out several times and looked at a few properties for sale there. It was our overall favorite development in the area- is nicely located- only 10 min or so from downtown, also a pretty drive, has good views, seems friendly, has paved roads, nice houses and seems well priced for the location. It is close to Las Campanas- a beautiful gated development of more expensive houses.

I don't want to disagree with Santafescribe ( who gave some excellent info above), but we did see a house there for under $400,000 last fall. It was a great unique place that needed a little updating and we seriously considered it, but decided that we just didn't want to make that much of a commitment to staying here. I'm here for a job, not retirement. We drove past a few weeks ago and it was no longer for sale. But I would recommend that you look into Aldea further. Good luck on your move!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:15 PM

Default Aldea sub-$400k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanfordR View Post
...but we did see a house there for under $400,000 last fall. It was a great unique place that needed a little updating and we seriously considered it, but decided that we just didn't want to make that much of a commitment to staying here.
You're right - there is one house at less than $400,000, at $329,000. Currently there are 30 homes listed for sale in Aldea, although there may be others that are for sale by owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe