Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 05:37 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times

Advertisements

Some questions about the methodology (cost of housing not a factor?), but interesting, nonetheless. I expected Los Alamos, but was a bit surprised with Santa Fe's ranking. The top end in Santa Fe must be quite high. Here are the affluence rankings for all 942 U.S. metros and micros - The Business Journals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 12:54 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,016 times
Albuquerque made the top 25% (#214).

And housing was a factor.
"6. Upper quartile house value. This is the price that is higher than 75 percent of all home values within an area, but lower than the top 25 percent.
7. Median house value."

How we rated affluence in metro and micro areas - The Business Journals

Old 05-06-2015, 06:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
We just spent a day in Santa Fe and the affluence was noticeable. Even the less fancy houses looked expensive. The houses on the hill looked very pricy. Santa Fe is in a lovely setting and has attracted the very wealthy. I have never seen so many "Fine Art" galleries in such a small space as along Canyon Road.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:23 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Albuquerque made the top 25% (#214).

And housing was a factor.
"6. Upper quartile house value. This is the price that is higher than 75 percent of all home values within an area, but lower than the top 25 percent.
7. Median house value."

How we rated affluence in metro and micro areas - The Business Journals
That's true. I guess I was thinking cost of housing vs. average income. Santa Fe's top end is very, well, top end. But there is a substantial bottom end, as well, where folks don't have much disposable income left after paying for housing costs. That upper quartile is pretty staggering for a city our size, though.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:35 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
That's true. I guess I was thinking cost of housing vs. average income. Santa Fe's top end is very, well, top end. But there is a substantial bottom end, as well, where folks don't have much disposable income left after paying for housing costs. That upper quartile is pretty staggering for a city our size, though.
Right, I guess the issue is that when considering affluence you pay more and you usually get more so just looking at affordability is a separate issue. Something can be affordable and not particularly nice or it can be affordable and very nice. Much of the real estate in Santa Fe can be considered high-end vs. many other places.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:41 PM

100 posts, read 284,175 times
It figures that Los Alamos was in there and house value, while a good measure of affluence in the rest of the US, is not such a good indicator here. Someone may have moved here in 1960 and bought a plain, government built house. That house won't be worth much today but the owner might be a multi-millionare.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:26 PM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
Having pretty much grown up on Chicagos North Shore I've grown quite used to the ways of these people with cash in a few of the most affluent towns in the USA. Most all of my HVAC service is still in this area and even though I'm just a joe average business owner in time you get to the point where you don't even notice. I kind of have to laugh because it's not for those that lean toward envy lest I would have been hanging from a rope years ago. I've seen a garage with an elevator so the guy can bring his cars in the basement to wash them and play around, a lady with a tram to take her down to her beach.....eccentrics.

If we are talking lotto bonanzas, I'd take a 1 million house up Santa Fe way or in the Sandia foothills any day over any one of those megamil homes on the shores of Lake Michigan. Till I can finally move out that way and buy something for far less than a million I'll settle for visiting a couple times a year, hike badlands, and occasionally look in all the windows at the stuff I can't afford.
[IMG]Michael Jordan #23 by Glenn Hanson, on Flickr<script async src="//widgets.flickr.com/embedr/embedr.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/IMG]

Old 05-10-2015, 04:18 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times
Average prices per square foot in Santa Fe range from $147 - 320 depending on the neighborhood, quality, condition, size. I see prices in New York City (yeah, I know, not a real comparison - but just for fun) averaging $1700/sq.ft. and wonder how anyone can afford to live there......Then again, I'll bet a place like Guthrie, Oklahoma is quite a bit less than Santa Fe so I guess it all depends on what individuals are willing to give, or give up, to live where they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe