U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 10:06 PM

6 posts, read 23,731 times

Advertisements

How could I forget La Boca - it is the best of the SF places with tapas - maybe best of SF period!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasSoggyInSeattle View Post
I have friends from Seattle coming in next week and we are going to (of course) visit Santa Fe - what would be a good place on/near the plaza for lunch or dinner (not sure when we'll get there). I would like local flavor but they are certainly not the 'spicy' people we are... But don't let that stop you from making suggestions.
For VERY close to the SF Plaza and not spending a lot of money, I'd vote for Atomic Grill. It's funky and popular with locals (which means a variety of folks - college age, new age tourists, late night theater-goers, etc.). We love the "Atomic Pie", their version of frito pie, plus their pizzas are pretty good. (However, the salsa is so-so and thus the nachos down the street at the Catamount are a better nachos choice.)

Old 06-06-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
We actually did have lunch at Copa de Oro several weeks ago, and since the restaurant has changed ownership several times and didn't always have a great reputation, I wasn't sure what to expect....but it was really good!

The waiter was very friendly and efficient and the food could not have been better. We'll be going back ... hopefully after the weather gets warmer, so we can sit outdoors on the patio.

I have heard good and bad about Steaksmith ... but we have been driving past the place for about 30 years now, and I just want to try it one time. I have told my husband that is where I want to go for my birthday in April.
Well, we, too don't understand the reputation Steaksmith has for steaks. In fact, it prompts a list of places in which we differ from the common reputation:
Tomasitas - has had the 2nd or 3rd best margaritas in Santa Fe but the last few times the food was disappointing (maybe compared to other great New Mexican choices) so we haven't gone there in quite some time
Gabriel's - still has great guacamole, but the food is OK not great and we've had bad drinks
Harry's Roadhouse has great desserts and great margaritas but we consistently find the food to be good not great
Cowgirl BBQ - a great location includes some outdoor seating, but again the food is consistently OK or good but not great
The Railyard Restaurant and Saloon - IF you like blackened/Cajun style this is possibly pretty good, but things are definitely charred too much for our liking; plus it's more noisy than most (noisy) places and we've had bad drinks - so stay away if you don't like everything blackened.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 AM

3,011 posts, read 9,625,796 times
Hey Kosmo! Great list including all your pros and cons. I agree with much of your assessment.

Good thing we don't all like the same places or those establishments would be too crowded for us to get into!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:39 AM

71 posts, read 183,758 times
Bull Ring

Rio Chama

Guadalupe Cafe

Rooftop Pizza

Del Charro

Old 06-15-2009, 01:59 AM

71 posts, read 183,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmo NM View Post
Tomasitas - has had the 2nd or 3rd best margaritas in Santa Fe but the last few times the food was disappointing (maybe compared to other great New Mexican choices) so we haven't gone there in quite some time
Best Margaritas in Santa Fe? It is a premade mix I thought they were horrible. The only place in Santa Fe that has worse margaritas is Del Charro.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:08 AM

3,436 posts, read 6,599,629 times
Del Charro is thee best!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 PM

17 posts, read 85,267 times
Default El Farol (Worst by far of all places we ate)

We visited Santa Fe for over a week recently. A few of the memorable places we ate at.
Jinja Bar and Bistro:really good Asian. average prices
Roof top pizza: good pizzas, average non pizza dishes; average prices
Pasquals: really good breakfasts; $40 for 2
Anasazi: excellent breakfasts $40/2 excellent dinners; $100+/2

El Farol: Food looked bad and was bad. Stay away. Bread came out stale, ice tea tasted moldy, food was so horrible we refused to eat it and they did not charge us. They try to cover up old and stale beef, fish and chicken with sauces.

Senior man

Old 07-04-2009, 11:02 PM

8 posts, read 21,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Has anyone been to Whole Hog on Cerrillos? Must be the 4th of July--I'm hungry for BBQ and I don't have a grill yet. Any good BBQ places?
I'm from Texas and haven't found any of the SFe BBQ joints up to par, although Josh's is okay. The chef's from Oklahoma, so okay is what I'd expect.

The best BBQ close to Santa Fe are Bob's in Los Alamos and Ribs in Cedar Crest (Turquoise Trail, Cedar Crest is the small community just before Albuquerque...charming, sort of like a tiny Ruidoso).

Old 07-04-2009, 11:05 PM

8 posts, read 21,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greycar View Post
Have you tried Del Charro on W Almeda? It is VERY cheap and really decent too. I've never gotten sick on the food there. Prices start at $2(!) for appetizers, $4-5 for dinner. It's a very limited menu but a fun, lively place with an outdoor patio with a fireplace. Drinks are a deal too.
Del Charro is a mainstay, visited by locals and tourists alike. Great burgers, fries. Chicken sandwich is great. Plus, their Natillas are some of the best I've had. Drinks are very reasonable too. It's always bustling, and they serve food until midnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe