Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 11:18 PM

8 posts, read 21,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greycar View Post
I'm with you on that Towanda! If I pay a lot and the meal turns out to be bad I feel like I've been cheated- and I hate to feel like I've been cheated . La Posada is a rare splurge.

Have you tried Del Charro on W Almeda? It is VERY cheap and really decent too. I've never gotten sick on the food there. Prices start at $2(!) for appetizers, $4-5 for dinner. It's a very limited menu but a fun, lively place with an outdoor patio with a fireplace. Drinks are a deal too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I have never been to the Ore House or Geronimo's because we just simply do not pay the prices to eat at the very expensive restaurants, so unless it is some HUGE occasion, will not be going to either.

Still on my list of places I have not been to yet:

Santa Fe Baking Company
Tia Sophia's
Bobcat Bite
Bert's Burger Bowl
Jinja's
Whole Hog Cafe
The Cowgirl
Steaksmith at El Gancho
Copa de Oro (a place out here in Eldorado)
El Parasol
Cafe Pasqual's
Tesuque Village Market
Ore House and Geronimo are actually GREAT for lunch. Quite reasonable when you consider their portions (at lunch) are quite generous, supremely tasty and when you count the remarkable service, quality and atmosphere. It's worth the little extra you spend.

For example, recently at Geronimo I had a three-egg omelet with lobster that came with fingerling potatoes and a fresh fruit cup. It was $14. Very reasonable. I've paid $10 for a bad sandwich at "cheap" places, so I'll always give the expensive places a try for lunch.

Most of the other restaurants you listed are places I've eaten. Some I like (Tia's, Bobcat Bite, Cowgirl, El Parasol , Tesuque Village Market) and some I don't (SFe Baking Co -- they ALWAYS overcook the eggs, yuck, Whole Hog, Pasquals (I'm the only person in town that doesn't love Pasquals). As for Jinja, I haven't eaten there in years so I don't feel qualified to speak for or against them, and being from Texas, I've given up on finding a good steak in Santa Fe, so Steaksmith...no, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Diego's is now closed for business.
We ate at Diego's at least once a week for as long as we've lived in Santa Fe (six years) and loved it.

I hear the same family is opening a new restaurant called Atrisco's in the same location. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Supposed to open today (July 4).

Other NM faves are La Choza, The Shed, Burrito Co., Adelita's, Harry's Roadhouse, Tomasitas (hit and miss), Cowgirl (excellent Huevos Rancheros), Tesuque Village Market, The Pantry.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
so whats your opinion of he coyote cafe?
Coyote Cafe is now owned/operated by Eric DiStafano. Great chef. He's done wonders with Coyote. If only I could afford to eat there.

However, the Cantina is a great and affordable option. Great burgers, duck tacos and drinks. Plus, the people watching is terrific. A fun and lively crowd!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:32 PM

Best thin-crust pizza places -- downtown and very affordable:

Il Vicino (best beer in Santa Fe -- their IPA is to die for, floral and citrusy w/ a brisk hoppiness. Well balanced.)
Rooftop Pizza (favorite pizza)
Marble Brewery (new!) - great beer and you can order pizza from Rooftop.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:53 PM

228 posts, read 553,248 times
Each time I would visit Santa Fe, my favorites (food and experience) would always be Coyote Cafe (rooftop) and El Farol (Canyon Rd.). So much fun to have the live salsa dancing going on while you eat (at El Farol).

I read the post about El Farol on the previous page- I hope it hasn't become a bad spot over the recent years.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:51 AM

17 posts, read 91,022 times
re: El Farol. that experience really upset us. The owner was greeting guests outside on the patio To serve food in that condition she had to not know any better or she new better and was trying to save on food costs. (Old, moldy ice tea, stale bread, discusting old food)

Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 PM

107 posts, read 273,546 times
Chows Asian Bistro ( on St Michaels in the Smiths lot)- my new favorite SF restaurant

Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,003,899 times
Hey, Sanford - thanks for the tip -- been past there many times -- now I will know to stop in and try the food!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:41 AM

107 posts, read 273,546 times
We'd been by it many times too, Towanda. Drove over to Bobcat Bite - closed, very disappointed, and hit it on the way home. So glad we did- the food was good (we had ginger chicken salad, noodle bowl and crab appetizer- shared it all, large portions, reasonable too), friendly service, and a nice space. A great find, I think you'll like it

Old 07-25-2009, 04:39 PM

713 posts, read 1,841,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanfordR View Post
We'd been by it many times too, Towanda. Drove over to Bobcat Bite - closed, very disappointed, and hit it on the way home. So glad we did- the food was good (we had ginger chicken salad, noodle bowl and crab appetizer- shared it all, large portions, reasonable too), friendly service, and a nice space. A great find, I think you'll like it
You can't go to the Bite without having a green chile cheeseburger. That's not New Mexican!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe