Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 PM

15 posts, read 164,454 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a relocation to the Santa Fe area or suburbs (we live near Boston), but I have a bit of an unusual problem: a fear of snakes that defies description! Here in the northeast, we only see the occasional little garter snake, maybe once every 2 or 3 years. Do residents of the Santa Fe area frequently find snakes on their property, particularly big ones or rattlers?

Also, having really only dealt with hurricanes (none in last 15 years or so) and snow, we haven't had much experience with tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. Any of those occur much in the Santa Fe suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 12:34 AM

57 posts, read 318,487 times
Perhaps it depends on where you live, but I can't recall ever seeing a snake or and I've lived in the area for 17 years. Perhaps they're more common in the desert areas of the state, but I think they're a rarity here.

Forest fires and flash floods are more of a concern than earthquakes or tornadoes. Here's an interactive map of natural disasters in the U.S. New Mexico only came up for those two.

USATODAY.com - The landscape of natural disasters

Old 08-07-2007, 07:16 AM

271 posts, read 1,171,127 times
My sister and her husband live on 5 acres in the eldorado area just outside
of santa fe and I never heard them say anything about snakes but I would
think the possibility does exist. It probably depends on how many cats or
dogs you have to keep them away. Also I don't think snakes like the higher
altitudes as much so they may not be that frequent in the santa fe area
but I live in southern NM and there are enough rattlesnakes for everybody
even though I have never seen one in town but others have. It's the rattlesnakes that you need to worry about. The others keep the little mice
and small rodents away.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:44 AM

253 posts, read 1,303,224 times
My brother has lived all over NM, both rural and urban, and he says the only places he has seen snakes is when he is on horseback out on the plains. The likelihood of having a snake in your backyard is about the same as here, I would say. It's important however, to read up on what to do in the event you are remote and encounter a rattler. Don't let ophidiophobia keep you out of this great place! It would be like someone not moving to Massachusetts for fear of coyotes.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 AM

9,331 posts, read 20,668,041 times
In Las Cruces, we have a bunch of rattlesnakes in arroyos, and the scrub. However, we are at 3900 feet elevation. Santa Fe is 7000 feet. The altitude is too high and the weather too cold for snakes there to survive winter.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,140,108 times
Wouldn't say Santa Fe is snakeproof.. the mountains near Albuquerque have rattle and bull snakes and they are that high and cold.

Rule of thumb for NM snakes: If you hear a rattle, walk away. Pretty much everything else is harmless.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:01 PM

101 posts, read 384,829 times
For what it's worth snakes hibernate in winter. That's why you have snakes in Wyoming, Montana and Colorado.

Is there snakes around Sante Fe? Yes.

Will you ever see one? Probably not unless you really go looking for them.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:07 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times
Actually, snakes dont hibernate, they brumate.

But yes, unless you go looking for them, you probably wont see one. Theyre out and about while youre deep in sleep (in summer). If you go looking for them at night, odds are youll probably see one.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 20,486 times
Default me too

I am also from Boston considering a move to Santa Fe and I was wondering about rattlesnakes. I know that rattlesnakes are a significant issue in Arizona especially in the Scottsdale hills. If you put out birdseed or otherwise attract birds, rodents and other snake prey, you run the risk of bringing the snakes to you. I found the other responses comforting. The housing prices are sure falling in Santa Fe. Good Luck

Old 10-20-2007, 09:30 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,994,795 times
Hi bugman.

We were in Santa Fe two weeks ago looking at houses. I didn't see much indication that the prices are falling ..... but the houses are on the market for a long time. I would think they will have to fall in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe