U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2015, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Silver Hill, Albuquerque
1,043 posts, read 1,300,145 times
Reputation: 1705

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwagner55 View Post
Boy, nothing is simple in New Mexico, is it? Makes me kinda miss Texas, OK, not really. But what a hassle trying to figure out if your hard earned cash is going to be slowly dried up in a capped well, or in a massive lawsuit. If it weren't for the twist on job security that LANL provides, I would not be in favor of this move. I LOVE NM, but not sure I want to be pulled into the mire of political drought . All that I can surmise from those who seem to have an intelligent hold on the matter is ,"we're not sure." Great. Sigh.

I suppose life is uncertain and all of that. Thanks everyone for your input. We're moving regardless of water issues. Turns out that the front range real estate is super hot right now. One has to wonder whether there is a sold rationale here, or if everyone has just figured out that Colorado is still pretty big. The Californians that bought in our neighborhood paid full price. Yep. Of course, they don't have any water.
It's all up in the air, sure. Water is a finite resource in the SW that's likely to become more so. That said, my impression is that the Pojoaque Basin has as much water security as anywhere else in New Mexico, and more than a lot of places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2015, 11:22 PM
 
14 posts, read 32,544 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
It's all up in the air, sure. Water is a finite resource in the SW that's likely to become more so. That said, my impression is that the Pojoaque Basin has as much water security as anywhere else in New Mexico, and more than a lot of places.
That is helpful to know. What about the other areas in Santa Fe county, like west of 599? My understanding is that the city has rights that will supersede the county, uh, unless it's on pueblo land. Is that correct?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2015, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Santa Fe, NM
974 posts, read 2,229,692 times
Reputation: 1122
Fresh water supply is increasingly a world-wide issue, not limited to the American southwest. The eastern half of NM is now officially out of the drought, but the west coast including Alaska is in a drought - who'd have thunk? Santa Fe has perhaps the lowest water-use per capita of any city in the US, and we have tight controls on development and a diversified water pool.
Pick your place to live and then pick your poison, because no place is 100% perfect. Personally, I'd rather live with water conservation than air pollution and/or extreme seasonal weather.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2015, 11:16 AM
 
14 posts, read 32,544 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Fresh water supply is increasingly a world-wide issue, not limited to the American southwest. The eastern half of NM is now officially out of the drought, but the west coast including Alaska is in a drought - who'd have thunk? Santa Fe has perhaps the lowest water-use per capita of any city in the US, and we have tight controls on development and a diversified water pool.
Pick your place to live and then pick your poison, because no place is 100% perfect. Personally, I'd rather live with water conservation than air pollution and/or extreme seasonal weather.
Yes, I know the city of Santa Fe has done a good job of educating people to conserve water. I'm less concerned about the city property because I don't think we will buy in the city. It's the county that I'm trying to figure out. Given that we are in our 50's, I am considering the water will last during our lifetime...ha...what a concept ! It's just scary to plan on spending around 700k and perhaps losing it all because the well dries up. I believe it is possible for that to happen in severe cases.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2015, 12:37 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
26,530 posts, read 49,159,202 times
Reputation: 31258
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwagner55 View Post
perhaps losing it all because the well dries up. I believe it is possible for that to happen in severe cases.
Wells dry up frequently...

We had a well dry up in rural PA around 1986 and they struck water 20 feet away at a depth of about 700 feet.

In June 2013, The primary well serving Magdalena, NM a town town of about 1,000 people, ran dry.

ARTICLE: https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/when-the-wells-run-dry
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2015, 02:55 PM
 
14 posts, read 32,544 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Wells dry up frequently...

We had a well dry up in rural PA around 1986 and they struck water 20 feet away at a depth of about 700 feet.

In June 2013, The primary well serving Magdalena, NM a town town of about 1,000 people, ran dry.

ARTICLE: https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/when-the-wells-run-dry

That's a sobering story for sure !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2015, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Santa Fe, NM
974 posts, read 2,229,692 times
Reputation: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwagner55 View Post
That's a sobering story for sure !
Well, if they drank single malts instead of water, it wouldn't be sobering at all.....

But yes, the western half of New Mexico is still officially in a drought (as are most of the western states).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2015, 11:42 AM
 
14 posts, read 32,544 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Well, if they drank single malts instead of water, it wouldn't be sobering at all.....

But yes, the western half of New Mexico is still officially in a drought (as are most of the western states).
I'll drink to that Greater Santa Fe! I think the NYTImes just had an article about how the drought was over in New Mexico but I can't seem to locate it. HUMMM
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2015, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Silver Hill, Albuquerque
1,043 posts, read 1,300,145 times
Reputation: 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwagner55 View Post
I'll drink to that Greater Santa Fe! I think the NYTImes just had an article about how the drought was over in New Mexico but I can't seem to locate it. HUMMM
Last week the US Drought Monitor, the USDA's official drought-planning and quantification center, declared that for the first time since 2011, none of New Mexico is in "severe drought". Could this be what you meant? Lingering abnormal dryness still hands over the western half of the state, and some drought conditions are present in the Gila and on the Navajo reservation, but with only 13% of the state in drought of any kind we're currently sitting pretty compared to the West Coast.

(By the way, the second link I inserted will take you to the blog of John Fleck, a former Albuquerque Journal science reporter who's now working at the University of New Mexico while he researches a book on Colorado River Basin water issues. He's a smart, dedicated guy and I recommend his blog as a great way to learn about southwestern water concerns and realities).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:35 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top