Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,674 times

Advertisements

Some one told me because of Thunder storms. If lightning hits your mobile home the rubber tires act as a ground.??...
Well, that is what I was told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnygia View Post
Some one told me because of Thunder storms. If lightning hits your mobile home the rubber tires act as a ground.??...
Rubber tires are a non-conductor. It's the rubber tire between your car and the road that protects you if you're in the car when lightning strikes it. Tires are on mobile home roofs to add weight in high wind storms to prevent loss of roofing. Or in some cases to keep roof metal from rattling in the wind.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:20 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little rook View Post
Someone just asked me why so many homes in Santa Fe have tires on their roofs. I don't get there very often and had to plead ignorance. Anyone know?

Thanks!
Never seen it in SF. I have seen it out in the desert, often on reservation land, where strong winds can blow through, and threaten the roofs of mobile homes. No need for it on most standard homes.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,704 times
In Earth-ship homes that are discussed in "Garbage Warrior" on an old PBS show, tires were used in building the walls because of their absorption of heat in the day time and releasing that heat when it cools off at night. The Actor, Dennis Weaver had a home built using around 80,000 tires. I'm not sure if putting them on a roof would have the same effect, but ingenuity in dealing with the summer Sun could be a factor.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:02 AM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times
Actually, just to be clear, the tires were packed with earth, and it was this mass that created the insulation (and stability) value.
And like was said, the only roofs I’ve ever seen with tires on them were some older mobile homes. Gotta keep those roofs on when the wind blows......

Old 07-14-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittmda View Post
In Earth-ship homes that are discussed in "Garbage Warrior" on an old PBS show, tires were used in building the walls because of their absorption of heat in the day time and releasing that heat when it cools off at night. The Actor, Dennis Weaver had a home built using around 80,000 tires. I'm not sure if putting them on a roof would have the same effect, but ingenuity in dealing with the summer Sun could be a factor.
Who wants heat released at night, when you're trying to sleep after a hot day? Doesn't sound like a good idea. People living in brick houses in warm climates complain about that exact problem.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:01 PM

That’s why I said “insulation value.” Tires packed with earth have very high insulation values and tend to keep homes cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Many passive solar homes here through the 1970s were built with Trombe walls on the near-south-facing side of the house. These generally adobe walls (could also be cement) which are located inside a home next to a window on the exterior would absorb heat from the direct sun in the winter and radiate that absorbed heat into the house during the night. Brick floors also have the same effect. To do this effectively the house would have to be sited so that it would get more of the winter sun and less of the summer sun. Also, by pulling shades down on that side of the house during the the summer, less/no heat is absorbed by the Trombe walls, and thus the walls do not heat the interior of the home during the summer months.
Probably more than anyone wanted to know......(sorry).

Old 07-14-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
That’s why I said “insulation value.” Tires packed with earth have very high insulation values and tend to keep homes cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Many passive solar homes here through the 1970s were built with Trombe walls on the near-south-facing side of the house. These generally adobe walls (could also be cement) which are located inside a home next to a window on the exterior would absorb heat from the direct sun in the winter and radiate that absorbed heat into the house during the night. Brick floors also have the same effect. To do this effectively the house would have to be sited so that it would get more of the winter sun and less of the summer sun. Also, by pulling shades down on that side of the house during the the summer, less/no heat is absorbed by the Trombe walls, and thus the walls do not heat the interior of the home during the summer months.
Probably more than anyone wanted to know......(sorry).
I've seen a house like that in SF, on Agua Fria, I think, near the downtown/Railyard end. It looked strange, to have a wall of floor to ceiling south-side windows with an adobe wall right behind the windows.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:00 PM

Yup, what you describe is a Trombe wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe