U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM

293 posts, read 932,299 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were just discussing this the other day. We live in the 'country' and there have been quite a few break ins in our neighborhood over the past two years. We now have a gate, and we keep our doors locked, and shut the windows if we're not home. But if someone was intent on robbing us, what good would closed windows or a locked door really do? It would be incredibly easy to smash a window and climb in since none of the neighbors can see the house. So I'm thinking maybe I'll keep the doors locked but leave the windows open to keep the house cool.

I figure if someone has driven all the way out to my house (8 miles from town so not super far), come down my driveway, and is walking around my house in broad daylight, they're coming in whether I've shut my windows or not. I can't imagine a thief saying 'hmmm... it's all closed up. Guess I better turn around and find another house rather than put this rock through that window.'

What do you all think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:41 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,309,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynanthus View Post
My husband and I were just discussing this the other day. We live in the 'country' and there have been quite a few break ins in our neighborhood over the past two years. We now have a gate, and we keep our doors locked, and shut the windows if we're not home. But if someone was intent on robbing us, what good would closed windows or a locked door really do? It would be incredibly easy to smash a window and climb in since none of the neighbors can see the house. So I'm thinking maybe I'll keep the doors locked but leave the windows open to keep the house cool.

I figure if someone has driven all the way out to my house (8 miles from town so not super far), come down my driveway, and is walking around my house in broad daylight, they're coming in whether I've shut my windows or not. I can't imagine a thief saying 'hmmm... it's all closed up. Guess I better turn around and find another house rather than put this rock through that window.'

What do you all think?
Don't do it. Why leave an open invitation to climb in so easily? I don't know if it matters for collecting on your insurance but I'm sure they'd ask if you left it open. Last winter the person went from car to car and didn't bother with the locked ones. You never know what will deter someone so do what you can to stop them.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:52 PM

888 posts, read 1,145,645 times
Yup, with crimes of opportunity, the quick-n'-easy scores are usually the ones taken.

Steve

Old 03-15-2014, 01:02 PM

60 posts, read 125,793 times
I am from Chicago. Is there crime here, yes. Is there crime in Chicago, yes. Is there crime everywhere in the US - YES!

It is nowhere near as bad here as it is in Chicago or Milwaukee. The common sense you learned in Milwaukee will make it seem as if there is NO crime here in Santa Fe. Most of it is stupid tourists during the tourist season and/or specific groups in certain areas of town.

I have never felt unsafe in this town - NEVER!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:20 AM

65 posts, read 147,990 times
I agree with the post above mine. For those who think its bad in SF/Alb., I have been researching a move to the Midwest and have looked at several cities, and some have crime worse than out here, and in more frequency..
Its bad everywhere!

Old 06-07-2014, 12:59 AM

6 posts, read 13,379 times
There is a considerable amount of crime in Santa Fe. No, it does not mostly happen to tourists. I lived in a very nice area where crime was not common. In broad daylight in the middle of the afternoon, an elderly woman had her face bashed into a parking lot while some punk attempted to steal her purse in front of the Albertson's on Zia which is a nicer area. You have to be careful in Santa Fe. I was told by a manager at the Super Walmart that they lock one set of the store entry doors between 8:30-9:00 pm because of the large amount of crime in Santa Fe. There are an enormous number of homeless people in Santa Fe and many are mentally ill. There is a huge drug problem there and many people are walking around town in a stupor half the time. Seriously, it can be a sketchy place if someone does not know much about the town and ventures outside the tourist areas. Even the Plaza has its fair share of crime. I have been approached by the homeless when shopping at the Plaza many times. Not all homeless people are mentally ill but many are.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:48 PM

11,185 posts, read 9,912,591 times
I don't live in Santa Fe but spend a few weeks there every summer - packing now for this year's trip. DH & I have never felt unsafe there, still this summer's news makes me feel a little uneasy for the first time ever. We're always cautious but will ramp it up:

Cars damaged at south Santa Fe Rail Runner station 06/25/14

Armed man robbed teen girl downtown 06/30/14

Tourists latests victims in rash of robberies 06/2014

Old 07-04-2014, 09:16 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,391,572 times
We are getting ready to head out to Abq. and S.F. makes one a bit unsettled feeling. Have never really worried about that before but thanks for the heads up. Sadly as you get older you realize you are more vulnerable.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:28 PM

11,185 posts, read 9,912,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Police have arrested a man who may be responsible all the above robberies:
Suspect arrested in Santa Fe armed robberies

Old 07-07-2014, 07:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 8,584,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Police have arrested a man who may be responsible all the above robberies:
Suspect arrested in Santa Fe armed robberies
Here is a web site that has the same story that does NOT require a person to have a login account:

man-accused-of-multiple-armed-robberies-in-santa-fe

And so typical of what happens in NM to repeat offenders, the last sentence in the article says:
Quote:
Valencia has been arrested 33 times, dating back to 2001, online records show.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe