U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2007, 02:13 PM
 
Location: McKinney, TX
271 posts, read 1,088,875 times
Reputation: 201

Advertisements

When I was in Santa Fe last month, I read in the morning papers that the number of home invasions in the city had increased dramaticaly, because the Drug Investigation Division of the Police Department was not operating, because its director was himself being investigated by the Federal Government. The newspaper theorized that the generalized drug abuse problem made the money-starving drug addicts get the money in any way they could (theft, robbery, carjacking, home invasions, etc.). They also mentioned the police manpower shortage, as being another factor. The papers I read were between April 18 to April 24 and they should be available in the internet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2007, 10:27 PM
 
51 posts, read 315,480 times
Reputation: 22
It is so upsetting.....the sky here is so incredible and warranting a nice, late at night view! Yet, I cant even feel safe doing so, right out the door of the place I am renting! I thought moving to SF was a blessing.......I am soooo tired of being worried about sick men preying on women. Its pathetic!! I did call the cops btw......cant say everything there. I just want all women in SF to be aware!!! He is still out there and I forgot about it, until I was blatantly reminded in my own laundry room in a gated community.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2007, 04:34 PM
 
Location: New York
371 posts, read 1,952,782 times
Reputation: 259
Firecoach - I just wanted to say I'll pray for you and the others in Santa Fe. Don't give up on Santa Fe because they'll catch the creep. According to what I read the women are being proactive in protecting themselves through self defense classes, guns, pepper spray, and what not. He's going to strike against the wrong woman and he'll be sorry. I think you can count on that and it will only be a matter of time. I'm just sorry you have to live in fear right now. As what was said before, trust your instincts. They are primal and they're there for a reason. Even if laundrymat guy wasn't the Santa Fe perp, he could have had other issues. Stay alert and stay safe. This is coming from a friend in Rio Rancho.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2007, 07:55 PM
 
51 posts, read 315,480 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
Firecoach - I just wanted to say I'll pray for you and the others in Santa Fe. Don't give up on Santa Fe because they'll catch the creep. According to what I read the women are being proactive in protecting themselves through self defense classes, guns, pepper spray, and what not. He's going to strike against the wrong woman and he'll be sorry. I think you can count on that and it will only be a matter of time. I'm just sorry you have to live in fear right now. As what was said before, trust your instincts. They are primal and they're there for a reason. Even if laundrymat guy wasn't the Santa Fe perp, he could have had other issues. Stay alert and stay safe. This is coming from a friend in Rio Rancho.
Since I have had that experience I have calmed down somewhat & reminded my female friends here in SF to be very alert. You are right, there are more self defense courses being offered soon and there are places to purchase devices (I do not want a gun, even hubby would like it if I had one!). I am praying also that this rapist is caught so we can sleep better at night & not feel so violated. SF is a lovely town and not one to feel like this is but I guess I could say that about anywhere, USA. Yes? Thx again for the replies. This incident definately opened my eyes again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2007, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,600 posts, read 17,698,707 times
Reputation: 5219
Try not to feel insecure and unsafe, if you do hes won.

Last edited by BrianH; 06-04-2007 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Spelling :s
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2007, 11:49 PM
 
476 posts, read 2,243,482 times
Reputation: 195
Take a self defense course. I did. I know karate, I have a brown belt. Got it while living in Albuquerque years ago. Dont let the creep take over your life. If you cant do the things you love then he has won. Just use caution and get experience in self defense. He will eventually be caught. Almost always they slip up and get caught. Just dont let him take control of you life. This guy was probably just a brazen masher but he could be the guy, just be wise. A good strong kick to the you know whats also do wonders! Stay safe!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2007, 12:58 PM
 
51 posts, read 315,480 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Take a self defense course. I did. I know karate, I have a brown belt. Got it while living in Albuquerque years ago. Dont let the creep take over your life. If you cant do the things you love then he has won. Just use caution and get experience in self defense. He will eventually be caught. Almost always they slip up and get caught. Just dont let him take control of you life. This guy was probably just a brazen masher but he could be the guy, just be wise. A good strong kick to the you know whats also do wonders! Stay safe!
Totally! I agree with everything you all have written. Thx for the input and support! I found another can of mace yesterday and have been cautious. I sleep with a hammer next to my bed and take a flashlight when I walk on the grounds after dark. I would like to brush up on the self defense skills....definately. I AM feeling better this week, so thanks. I am just much more aware of things these days. I am praying he is caught. I feel awful for the victims here in SF. Its really terrible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 01:59 AM
 
476 posts, read 2,243,482 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecoach View Post
Totally! I agree with everything you all have written. Thx for the input and support! I found another can of mace yesterday and have been cautious. I sleep with a hammer next to my bed and take a flashlight when I walk on the grounds after dark. I would like to brush up on the self defense skills....definately. I AM feeling better this week, so thanks. I am just much more aware of things these days. I am praying he is caught. I feel awful for the victims here in SF. Its really terrible.
You are welcome. That was so sad about the girl in Kansas. I just think if she had just had a self defense course, or mace, or fought back hard, it might have not turned out bad. A safety defense woman once told me if you dont have anything and a guy tries to grab you out in public, fall to the ground and spread your weight out since it is real hard for a guy to pick someone up like this and start screaming loud as you can. Kick and fight him off as much as possible. Kicking and hitting as much as possible. When you are alone and he grabs you, grab his arm that has a weapon and hold his arm tight and yank his arm forward until he looses his balance, trip him if you can, twist his arm till he gives up the weapon. Some girls just freeze up but I am telling you freezing up will kill you. You got to fight back. Kick him where it hurts and repeat it as much as possible until you can get away. There are many other ways to defend yourself, I just give a couple and it sounds like you are taking the right steps. Make sure all your doors and windows are locked. Dont just open the door to anyone. Be careful who you let in your house. I am not saying be paranoid, but you know, use common sense like you are doing now. Keep your cell phone right with you so you can immediately turn it on and have a fast 911 dial to the cops and keep it on since now days they can track the cell phones so even if you cant talk, they can target your cell phone and find you. Main thing is trust your gut feelings. If a guy looks like a creep, he is a creep. If it looks like a duck, it is a duck! Anyway, stay safe!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2007, 02:03 PM
 
Location: McKinney, TX
271 posts, read 1,088,875 times
Reputation: 201
"Self defense" to ward off an attack by an assailant is not always effective, unless you're a professional boxer or wrestler and even then, you risk being shot or stabbed because the attackers are usually armed. The best protection is still prevention. Apparently the poor teenage girl that got killed in Kansas, did not take the necessary precautions when she opened the door of her car. I doubt that "self defense" would have saved her. I guess it's all right to behave "paranoid" when you are in the open or alone in your home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2007, 01:26 AM
 
476 posts, read 2,243,482 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
"Self defense" to ward off an attack by an assailant is not always effective, unless you're a professional boxer or wrestler and even then, you risk being shot or stabbed because the attackers are usually armed. The best protection is still prevention. Apparently the poor teenage girl that got killed in Kansas, did not take the necessary precautions when she opened the door of her car. I doubt that "self defense" would have saved her. I guess it's all right to behave "paranoid" when you are in the open or alone in your home.
That sounds male chauvinistic to me to say women are somehow not able to defend ourselves. It isnt paranoid to be careful and prepared. If the girl had known self defense and had mace or pepper spray on her she may have been able to get away. The guy isnt going to kill her until he gets what he wants by and far and it is better to fight out in the public and risk being shot or stabbed because you will have help right then. Someone who would do that, would kill her anyway and to be out in the woods or alone and then be shot or stabbed equals no chance for survival or little chance. It is best to fight your best. A woman has many weapons on her even if she has nothing. She has her legs, her heels, her elbows, her hands, her fingers, her teeth, her nails - ouch!, her knees, if she bends her fingers to show her knuckles, to make a weapon and thrusts her knuckles to his adam apple, it can knock the air out of him and repeated attacks can knock him out. Even if he has a girl pinned down, she can bite, she can scratch his eyes out, she can take her heels and slam them into his kidneys. She can knee him in the groin and on and on. I dont know what you are referring to by "prevention", she was at a Target in broad daylight, parked near the front of the building, how could she have "prevented" that? It is important to learn self defense and frankly tito I am offended by your post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top