U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:21 AM

314 posts, read 490,515 times

Advertisements

I'm debating between living in town vs. out of town ( 10 minutes away). Which would you do and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 10:52 AM

17,931 posts, read 22,718,904 times
For me it would depend on where in town I had the option of living. Some parts of town are not worth the hassles. Other parts of SF would be great to live in. Close commute (doable on foot or by bike) would be a big incentive to living in town.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,094,980 times
Tell us a little more about what's important to you, and your budget. As for us, we had to make that decision when we moved here and opted for a mid-town location.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:23 AM

25 posts, read 38,912 times
I didn't catch if you are retiring or career moving or? For clarifications, have you lived in rural out of town settings before? What kind of "budget" do you have regards rent/buy in or out of town.

Wonderful properties "in town" can be had with a quite rural feel and natural vegetation ....many, if not most fitting that might have a more higher end price tag. I have found myself always preferring rural settings and am out probably 20 some min( on the plus side)..I enjoy hearing wildlife, no cars and there is still some 10-12 other neighbor-homes on 1-5 acres that more often than not help out each other when its needed. Its also quite a wide range of economics out here and perhaps makes it more interesting.

Again, there are places "in town", with nice wide/open views. Some of the "developments" have homes on larger lots and some are far too tight/close IMO.

Folks with kids might prefer to be in town more in dealing w/ kids and after school activities.
I've had neighbors who moved a little closer bringing them 10 min out of town yet still in the hills and with a lot of pinon pine. Some of the decision might come out of knowing how much you like hanging out at home and really love the natural setting or if you frequent in town places more. 10 min out is nothing in the actuality of going to events or to the gym or shopping.(IMO)

Old 09-19-2015, 07:28 PM

314 posts, read 490,515 times
My budget is about $500,000 but it seems that I can only get a one bedroom single family home in the city. I hate to pay that much for a one bedroom. I'm thinking about moving to Aldea and love the country. I love the city too. That's why I'm torn. If I move outside the city, where do you park when you go to the city?

Old 09-19-2015, 09:37 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,094,980 times
Are you looking at just a very specific area "in the city"? Because $500K will get you more than a single bedroom SFH, even in some of the tonier areas. Aldea is fine, but I wouldn't give up just yet.

As for parking, there are a few decks and large lots on the edges. But usually you're just going to hope for a spot on a street.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:25 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,916,852 times
When I go into town, I usually look for a meter on Marcy Street or Washington, or over near the capitol building on Don Gaspar.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:15 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,300,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
When I go into town, I usually look for a meter on Marcy Street or Washington, or over near the capitol building on Don Gaspar.
Parking can also frequently be found on De Vargas along De Vargas Park just south of the Santa Fe River, especially near its intersection with Guadalupe. You can also often find parking along Alameda near Paseo de Peralta, southeast of the Inn at Loretto.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:45 PM

9 posts, read 12,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
My budget is about $500,000 but it seems that I can only get a one bedroom single family home in the city. I hate to pay that much for a one bedroom. I'm thinking about moving to Aldea and love the country.
Hi suaz - I realize I'm bumping a post that's about a week old, but I only drop into the Santa Fe sub-forum occasionally.

When I look at Santa Fe only, and search only for active-listing single-family homes with at least two bedrooms in the price range $300K - $500K, I get over 300 houses as realtor.com defines Santa Fe. If I zoom into what I consider the downtown area, there are still over 100 available homes.

My realtor.com search: http://goo.gl/0Gz5W6

I only bring this up because I'm an "armchair buyer" who's just looking at places I might like to live when my wife & I retire (Santa Fe, Boulder, Portland OR, Portland ME). Is there a different way you're looking at the market which excludes a lot of those homes that I'm seeing? I'm genuinely interested and not trying to nit-pick your summary of the real estate market in Santa Fe.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 AM

887 posts, read 1,115,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapped View Post
Hi suaz - I realize I'm bumping a post that's about a week old, but I only drop into the Santa Fe sub-forum occasionally.

When I look at Santa Fe only, and search only for active-listing single-family homes with at least two bedrooms in the price range $300K - $500K, I get over 300 houses as realtor.com defines Santa Fe. If I zoom into what I consider the downtown area, there are still over 100 available homes.

My realtor.com search: http://goo.gl/0Gz5W6

I only bring this up because I'm an "armchair buyer" who's just looking at places I might like to live when my wife & I retire (Santa Fe, Boulder, Portland OR, Portland ME). Is there a different way you're looking at the market which excludes a lot of those homes that I'm seeing? I'm genuinely interested and not trying to nit-pick your summary of the real estate market in Santa Fe.
I do the same thing myself, 'armchair buying'. Might be the poster is adding some specifics on which is narrowing the results. Garaged parking may do that as I have seen many that do not have that feature. With the high amount of vehicle crimes both petty and otherwise I would never consider anything without a garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: