U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 04:27 PM

97,899 posts, read 95,942,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
I had a decent primary-care physician, but it was IMPOSSIBLE to find a dermatologist. As someone who has had skin cancer, waiting 8 months for a derm appointment is unacceptable. I actually drove to Durango once just to get in.
There are no dermatologists taking new patients in Santa Fe. You have to go to Albuquerque. Annoying, I know. And the clinics in ABQ generally book months in advance.

The last dermatologist in SF to take new patients and have a welcoming, open clinic was forced to retire due to health concerns a couple of years ago, sadly.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 05:35 PM

380 posts, read 608,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are no dermatologists taking new patients in Santa Fe. You have to go to Albuquerque. Annoying, I know. And the clinics in ABQ generally book months in advance.
I tried ABQ when I lived in Santa Fe too. No dice. Booked 8 months out, or the derm simply didn't return my call, or was taking no new patients.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:36 PM

97,899 posts, read 95,942,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
I tried ABQ when I lived in Santa Fe too. No dice. Booked 8 months out, or the derm simply didn't return my call, or was taking no new patients.
I tried it last year, since I had no choice, I needed to get a skin condition evaluated, and I got in within 2-3 months. I don't understand why there aren't more dermatologists in SF, or why the existing ones don't take new patients. What are we supposed to do, drive to CO (I've actually done that, to see good orthopedists who don't automatically push surgery) or fly to CA? Someone told me it had something to do with how insurance reimburses for dermatology, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:30 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,120,558 times
What about Internist?

Old 02-21-2016, 07:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 8,527,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
What about Internist?
I once used a dermatologist in Las Cruces who turned his practice over to a Nurse Practitioner. In New Mexico, dermatology is one of the several practices where an MD license is not required.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:12 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,721,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

The last dermatologist in SF to take new patients and have a welcoming, open clinic was forced to retire due to health concerns a couple of years ago, sadly.
Well that would rule out Santa Fe for me, unfortunately. I've had a number of skin cancers and at 7,000 ft elevation, I would expect to get more in spite of using sunscreen. In my current hometown there are so many dermatologists that I never have to wait more than 2 days to get in. If I lived in SF, I would be willing to drive down to ABQ to see a dermatologist, and since it's a large city, I don't know why it would take months to get an appointment. That is so strange, especially in a state with high elevations and abundant sunshine (both of which are conducive to skin cancers).

Old 02-23-2016, 09:21 PM

26,530 posts, read 48,850,624 times
Thread: Anyone recommend a good "regular" doctor in ABQ
Post Dated: 01-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Their practices have been full since we got here this last time, 1998. Things have actually gotten better. The New hospitals, Presbyterian and UNM in Rio Rancho have helped.

My wife's first appointment for a dermatologist was about 9 months, a few years later my appointment for a dermatologist was about 4 months (I don't remember exactly). Some people claim no wait. Once you get in with a doctor, they tend to squeeze you in.
Dermatologist appointments still take a while in ABQ for us...

Old 06-02-2016, 01:25 AM

23 posts, read 37,722 times
Santa Fe has the worse health care in the Country. Look it up, it is at no. 50 in the USA. It is really bad if you have a chronic illness or develop one, no the place to retire. Lots of hocus pocus medicine, bad attitudes, no critical thinkers, awful place for healthcare. Always get a second opinion in Albuquerque and that isn't even the greatest. I am leaving because of the healthcare choices. St, Vincent is a nightmare.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:44 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,490,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgome View Post
Santa Fe has the worse health care in the Country. Look it up, it is at no. 50 in the USA. It is really bad if you have a chronic illness or develop one, no the place to retire. Lots of hocus pocus medicine, bad attitudes, no critical thinkers, awful place for healthcare. Always get a second opinion in Albuquerque and that isn't even the greatest. I am leaving because of the healthcare choices. St, Vincent is a nightmare.
If Santa Fe were ranked 50 in the country that would be in the top 15% of metro areas. Great success!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:08 AM

974 posts, read 2,219,804 times
funkymonkey - loved your response to chgome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe