U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:23 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,003,846 times

Advertisements

This is relevant to my interests. I am eyeing Albuquerque as a possible destination in a few years. A relative that will move with me would need a good endocrinologist who would take Medicare on assignment. (She also has supplemental insurance that should pick up what Medicare doesn't. I don't really understand all of the nuances of this; I'm parroting what she told me.) We looked at the Medicare site and it looked like a fair number of endocrinologists in Albuquerque will take Medicare on assignment. But, we don't know if that list on the Medicare site is very current.

We are not fixed on Albuquerque, but wouldn't want to move too much farther west than that. (We're also considering the Western Slope of Colorado or perhaps even Eastern Utah.) She's willing to go over state lines (like maybe into Colorado or Arizona) to see a doctor, but still live in New Mexico. But she doesn't know if Medicare would cover visits to a doctor that is out of state. Does anyone know? Any other helpful info anyone can give? We were just talking about this today and it's got me curious.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 11:06 AM

7,940 posts, read 8,561,329 times
Zoidberg - you got any input on this one? A decent endocrinologist should be aplenty in a city the size of Albuquerque but your question about Medicare "on assignment" is curious ta me. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 06-03-2016, 12:02 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,492,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
This is relevant to my interests. I am eyeing Albuquerque as a possible destination in a few years. A relative that will move with me would need a good endocrinologist who would take Medicare on assignment. (She also has supplemental insurance that should pick up what Medicare doesn't. I don't really understand all of the nuances of this; I'm parroting what she told me.) We looked at the Medicare site and it looked like a fair number of endocrinologists in Albuquerque will take Medicare on assignment. But, we don't know if that list on the Medicare site is very current.

We are not fixed on Albuquerque, but wouldn't want to move too much farther west than that. (We're also considering the Western Slope of Colorado or perhaps even Eastern Utah.) She's willing to go over state lines (like maybe into Colorado or Arizona) to see a doctor, but still live in New Mexico. But she doesn't know if Medicare would cover visits to a doctor that is out of state. Does anyone know? Any other helpful info anyone can give? We were just talking about this today and it's got me curious.
You could call up a few of their offices and inquire about it.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:54 PM

974 posts, read 2,220,839 times
elvira310 - We've got at least one great endocrinologist here in Santa Fe and there are quite a few in Albuquerque. I know the one here takes Medicare and supplemental plans and am positive the ones in Albuquerque do too. Medicare together with a Supplemental plan will get you into virtually any medical office; no problem there. Medicare is a national plan, so one could go anywhere in the U.S. For out-of-state coverage for the supplemental plan you should probably read/ask that plan's customer service staff. Blue Cross for example allows out-of-state for emergencies, but probably not for routine office visits. Since we have very good providers in all specialties I'd think going out of state will not be necessary for routine visits.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:57 PM

1,170 posts, read 2,283,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Zoidberg - you got any input on this one? A decent endocrinologist should be aplenty in a city the size of Albuquerque but your question about Medicare "on assignment" is curious ta me. Anyone know anything about this?
Medicare.gov says that assignment means that your doctor, provider, or supplier agrees (or is required by law) to accept the Medicare-approved amount as full payment for covered services.

I'd guess the number that do this is a whole lot smaller than the number that accept Medicare. Probably the only way to find this out is to start calling applicable doctor offices.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:25 PM

I believe a provider who accepts Medicare accepts Medicare. Period. With a Supplemental plan, the medical provider's office accepts the Medicare rate and then sends the bill to the supplemental carrier who pays the balance between what Medicare pays and the rate negotiated by the supplemental carrier and the provider. So, if you've got Blue Cross as the supplemental carrier, and go to an in-plan provider, then between Medicare and Blue Cross they pay what they pay and you're not responsible for anything except, perhaps, for the plan's deductible.
I'm not an insurance expert, and this is just based on my years of experience. It's always best to talk directly with your insurance carrier and the individual provider's office.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:13 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,003,846 times
Thanks everyone, and thanks to GreatSantaFe. This is reassuring news. It will be a while before any moving plans are made (at least a year or two I am guessing) but it is exciting and of course a frequent topic of conversation. We have New Mexico and Albuquerque in the brain! And with Santa Fe not too far away, that is so exciting. There are some great artists in Santa Fe who I would dearly love to meet. (That is enough of a hijack, though! )

Old 06-05-2016, 03:33 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,122,611 times
It just may be a littler earlier for us.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 PM

97,955 posts, read 96,089,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
elvira310 - We've got at least one great endocrinologist here in Santa Fe and there are quite a few in Albuquerque. I know the one here takes Medicare and supplemental plans and am positive the ones in Albuquerque do too. Medicare together with a Supplemental plan will get you into virtually any medical office; no problem there. Medicare is a national plan, so one could go anywhere in the U.S. For out-of-state coverage for the supplemental plan you should probably read/ask that plan's customer service staff. Blue Cross for example allows out-of-state for emergencies, but probably not for routine office visits. Since we have very good providers in all specialties I'd think going out of state will not be necessary for routine visits.
Well, I beg to differ about having any good endocrinologists in Santa Fe. There was a good one, but she moved to Arizona. It depends on what you need an endocrinologist for. Actually, there's a pretty good one, relatively speaking, in Los Alamos, which isn't too far a drive. The one in Santa Fe that some docs recommend as being "great" or excellent has horrible online reviews, and I must say, after trying to work with her, they're not out of line.

Endocrinologists in the US generally are very poorly informed, even misinformed/mis-educated, about some things, but apparently Elvira's relative has found one before that has been adequate, so maybe his/her needs are pretty simple/straightforward.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:47 PM

"Endocrinologists in the US generally are very poorly informed, even misinformed/mis-educated, about some things, but apparently Elvira's relative has found one before that has been adequate, so maybe his/her needs are pretty simple/straightforward."

Well R4T, I reckon that with that generalization about the nation's endocrinologists it's no surprise you're not happy with any here. I'm truly sorry about that. Have you tried Albuquerque? Any better experience there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe