Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 11:11 PM

511 posts, read 625,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Cultural norms"? IDK about the rest of the state, but Santa Fe, especially the neighborhood where that dog park is, is full of transplants from NY and CA. There are Texans, too, in other parts of town. So it's high-end NE and CA culture, if that means anything to you.
Yes, from my research of SF, it seemed there was a great deal of outside influence, which is why I then became most curious about the state of New Mexico as a whole. Since there appears to be some disparity between the well off and the not so well off, I wondered how that played out overall - if the underlying culture with respect to dogs, animals, nature was possible to recognize at all, which I believe it has to be, but only after a long bout of observation and thoughtful consideration and living in the midst. I was hoping someone else had been interested in this topic and had come to some conclusions of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:31 AM

22 posts, read 29,706 times
I like dogs, It's usually the owners I dislike

We have dogs in our area that are kept outside and bark almost the entire night sometimes. I like to sleep with the windows and doors open and the constant barking can really put a damper on that. I don't know how the owners are put up with it, unless they're gone and just don't care.

One night I'm going to get up and drive around to try to pin point where they live.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:00 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Yes, from my research of SF, it seemed there was a great deal of outside influence, which is why I then became most curious about the state of New Mexico as a whole. Since there appears to be some disparity between the well off and the not so well off, I wondered how that played out overall - if the underlying culture with respect to dogs, animals, nature was possible to recognize at all, which I believe it has to be, but only after a long bout of observation and thoughtful consideration and living in the midst. I was hoping someone else had been interested in this topic and had come to some conclusions of their own.
Santa Fe is big on hiking, and the city admin. has established a network of hiking trails around the edges of town, for day hikes. There are also trails that start off from the ski basin, and follow the mountain ridges to some sacred lakes above the Native communities.

The underlying culture, depending on how far back you want to go, is Native American, a population that loves animals like nobody else. In fact, many tend to look askance if you're not an animal-lover with a menagerie of pets. I can't speak to the Hispanic side of the equation, except to say that by my limited observation, they love their dogs.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The underlying culture, depending on how far back you want to go, is Native American, a population that loves animals like nobody else. In fact, many tend to look askance if you're not an animal-lover with a menagerie of pets. I can't speak to the Hispanic side of the equation, except to say that by my limited observation, they love their dogs.
I hadn't thought of that - that the core culture of NM is Native American. Of course, animals would be important!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeff35 View Post
I like dogs, It's usually the owners I dislike

We have dogs in our area that are kept outside and bark almost the entire night sometimes. I like to sleep with the windows and doors open and the constant barking can really put a damper on that. I don't know how the owners are put up with it, unless they're gone and just don't care.
Oh, how I hate it when people let their dogs bark and bark! I wonder how open your neighbor will be if you go over there. I don't think I could have waited as long as you have to go have a visit. And it's so sad when dogs are left outside, are outside dogs. I wonder if they're chained... I hope you get some peace soon.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:40 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,409,636 times
There was an interesting exchange of letters about dogs recently in the Santa Fe Reporter in reaction to an earlier article about dogs on chains. You might find it illuminating about the different dog cultures that coexist here. Not surprisingly in areas of low income you will find dogs not pampered as they tend to be in wealthier areas. I have to say on reservations you will find dogs and horses that are neglected and malnourished more often than in other places.

Letters to the Editor: 09.07.16

Old 09-21-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
There was an interesting exchange of letters about dogs recently in the Santa Fe Reporter in reaction to an earlier article about dogs on chains. You might find it illuminating about the different dog cultures that coexist here. Not surprisingly in areas of low income you will find dogs not pampered as they tend to be in wealthier areas. I have to say on reservations you will find dogs and horses that are neglected and malnourished more often than in other places.

Letters to the Editor: 09.07.16
Yes, I wondered if the attitude of pro-chaining (and all that comes with that) would be prevalent. Certainly, I can't assume this the norm just by a couple people writing in, but I did do some research prior to my original post and saw that SF appears to be trying to enact a law against chaining dogs. I saw a number of others' opinions, but against chaining there. I got the feeling there was quite a difference in the haves and the have-nots in NM.

In any case, I know when people are essentially in subsistence-mode, animals in their care can be neglected at best. However, the more people have their basic needs met, the more opportunity they have to extend compassion outside of their immediate circles. Well, my mantra is education, education, education, and even though the world does seem to revolve rather slowly, change is happening -for the good of all. Thanks for the link and the reply.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:30 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,261 times
What is the source for "on reservations you will find dogs and horses that are neglected and malnourished more often than in other places."?

SantaFeans appear to love their dogs. I can hardly go out for a walk with out having some cutie hump my leg. Is that what's called "animal attraction"?

Old 09-23-2016, 05:49 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
What is the source for "on reservations you will find dogs and horses that are neglected and malnourished more often than in other places."?
An acquaintance who commuted between Albuquerque and Santa Fe on the RailRunner for a couple of years, which travels through several Pueblos. She was so concerned about the condition of some of the animals she saw on the reservations that she made phone calls and wrote letters to try to help those animals. I don't remember if she got anywhere with that but I was impressed by her anger over the situation and that she and some other passengers were taking action to try to rectify it.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:48 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,033 times
Back to dogs in Santa Fe....

We're planning to visit -- with our dog -- in January. In Chicago, we sometimes use boots (or some sort of paw protection) for our dogs in the winter, not so much for cold or ice, but because the caustic ice-melting chemicals and salt on the sidewalks and streets REALLY hurt their paws.

So, my question is, does anyone with dogs in Santa Fe know if this is a problem in the winter time? My recollection (which could be faulty!) from living there for a couple of winters was that the snow that fell on streets and sidewalks generally melted and / or evaporated really quickly. I did not have dogs at the time, though, so I was not paying attention to whether a lot of the surfaces were salted or spread with ice-melting chemicals.

Thanks!

Old 11-13-2016, 07:15 AM

974 posts, read 2,343,261 times
To Gemini1963 - I don't have a dog, but I can tell you that salt/chemicals are not used on our streets. Sidewalks are a different story as I imagine some property owners might use salt to melt ice in front of their homes. You're correct that ice doesn't last long here on roads or sidewalks - unless it's in an area that does not get exposed to the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe