Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 04:20 PM

511 posts, read 625,647 times

Advertisements

In this article (http://http://www.freeabq.com/2016/0...he-chihuahuas/) in the ABQ Free Press, I found the quote below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
Why do you think New Mexicans have a soft spot for Chihuahuas?

New Mexico in general has a significant dog culture. PetSmart and Petco stores have the largest volume of sales in this market out of anywhere in the U.S. With Chihuahuas specifically, I think people just love the breed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

What is this "significant dog culture" of New Mexico exactly? Do people love dogs there? Do most people have dogs as companions as opposed to "just dogs" - just things to be fed once a day and tied up outside? Coming from Seattle area where it's purported to have more dogs than children, I'm trying to see if there's a similar connection between dogs and people in NM and/or Santa Fe as there is in Seattle (or really most of the Pacific Northwest).

And is there really a preference for chihuahuas, as the article implies, or are all all breeds equally represented for the most part? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 06:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Your URL does not work. The correct URL appears to be Running of the Chihuahuas – Albuquerque Alternative Newspaper | ABQ Free Press

We have had dogs almost continously since 1980, usually two dogs.

Our last few dogs were "therapy dogs", registered through https://www.therapydogs.com/

Molly helps first graders read through the R.E.A.D. program, she is going to an event tomorrow, spent the summer at Barnes and Noble, was helping UNM new students last month, in the "Tales of Joy": https://www.flickr.com/photos/poncho...57672918582256

She visits nursing homes. Our previous dogs would visit the VA...

My wife and I have helped rescue a variety of dogs over the years...

I'm not going to try and guess the most popular breed. We have helped rescue about 50 Lab's...

We have done a variety of videos, here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUPF...ature=youtu.be

I can't speak for Chihuahuas, never really dealt with them... However, as I get older, a more compact dog might be advantageous...

Old 09-16-2016, 10:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
This is a ridiculous topic. People everywhere love dogs (and some hate them).

Dogs were the first animals humans domesticated because they fit in with man's plans, they have a similar family "pack" structure, they fit right into human culture as hunting partners and camp guards, and worked on the cheap (table scraps).

Dog is literally man's best friend. Treat your dog nice, let him be part of your family, let him be with you and he will die for you. You can even mistreat dogs and they will often still love you (but be scared of you).

I just lost my 19 year old dog. I get pretty emotional about it. It was recent. I just realized that dog 2.0 is not too far away, maybe next Spring. I can't live without them.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Your URL does not work. The correct URL appears to be Running of the Chihuahuas – Albuquerque Alternative Newspaper | ABQ Free Press

We have done a variety of videos, here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUPF...ature=youtu.be
Poncho NM - what a lovely video of your dogs and your family interacting with them. I enjoyed watching it, and the music was perfect. Thanks for sharing it. Clearly you are a dog lover (your lucky dogs)!

Thanks for posting the correct link to the article I mentioned. I really got a kick out of the running chihuahuas, and the photo along with the article was a hoot.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:47 AM

Thanks Algiz. We have more time for our dogs now.

U.S. states with the most and fewest pet owners - Dogtime

States with the most dog owners (percentage of households that owned a dog). The numbers seem to be close:

1. Arkansas: 47.9%
2. New Mexico: 46%
3. Kentucky: 45.9%

For the 25th consecutive year, the family-friendly Labrador Retriever is the most popular dog in America, according to 2015 AKC registration stats.

Most Popular Dog Breeds in America - American Kennel Club

Chihuahuas seem to be number 28 on that list...

Old 09-19-2016, 02:31 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Santa Fe has a popular dog park on the east side of town, in a nice, green neighborhood with a creek and an irrigation ditch. I'm told that dog-walkers are very sociable there. It sounds like the go-to place if you're a dog-lover.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Santa Fe has a popular dog park on the east side of town, in a nice, green neighborhood with a creek and an irrigation ditch. I'm told that dog-walkers are very sociable there. It sounds like the go-to place if you're a dog-lover.
Thanks, Ruth4Truth~ I'm going to check it out when I next visit Santa Fe. When I read (on c-d) about a coyote hunt contest put on by some gun store in Los Lunas, I wondered if there was a correlation between how local wildlife is viewed and how dogs are viewed by the culture as a whole. I know there will always be individuals who differ from the average, but I'm trying to figure out how to get a feel for how nature and animals are viewed and treated, wild and domestic, in NM, if there is a norm. Coming from the PNW and California, where I have personal experience in this area, I know that areas/cultural norms can be vastly different.

In another thread, someone mentioned that he/she felt NM was a dog-loving state, so there's one more piece of data for me to file away.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
I wondered if there was a correlation between how local wildlife is viewed and how dogs are viewed by the culture as a whole.
You will have a difficult time seeing "the culture as a whole"...

Dogfighting was outlawed in New Mexico 1981. But it still happens.

Quote:
June 01, 2016 10:45 PM

An Albuquerque man is among nine people charged in a four-state dog-fighting ring, the Department of Justice announced Wednesday.

Nine people were arrested in all, including 62-year-old Robert Arellano of Albuquerque. Six suspect are from New Jersey, where the alleged ring was located, while the other two are from Indiana and Illinois.
Read The Entire Article: Albuquerque man part of interstate dog-fighting ring, DOJ says | KOB.com

Old 09-19-2016, 10:02 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Thanks, Ruth4Truth~ I'm going to check it out when I next visit Santa Fe. When I read (on c-d) about a coyote hunt contest put on by some gun store in Los Lunas, I wondered if there was a correlation between how local wildlife is viewed and how dogs are viewed by the culture as a whole. I know there will always be individuals who differ from the average, but I'm trying to figure out how to get a feel for how nature and animals are viewed and treated, wild and domestic, in NM, if there is a norm. Coming from the PNW and California, where I have personal experience in this area, I know that areas/cultural norms can be vastly different.

In another thread, someone mentioned that he/she felt NM was a dog-loving state, so there's one more piece of data for me to file away.
"Cultural norms"? IDK about the rest of the state, but Santa Fe, especially the neighborhood where that dog park is, is full of transplants from NY and CA. There are Texans, too, in other parts of town. So it's high-end NE and CA culture, if that means anything to you.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You will have a difficult time seeing "the culture as a whole"...

Dogfighting was outlawed in New Mexico 1981. But it still happens.

Read The Entire Article: Albuquerque man part of interstate dog-fighting ring, DOJ says | KOB.com
Good info, Poncho, many thanks. Sigh...but it wasn't just from NM at least.

Here's where I'm coming from in thinking I might be able to see the underlying culture of NM with respect to animals. When I moved to Washington, it took several years to recognize that the natives, even those not particularly interested in animals and nature, had a level of respect for nature that I had not experienced in California. As the years passed, I began to understand the culture of WA better, and there's this respect for nature, the environment, animals...even if the person is a hunter and not particularly an animal lover other than appreciating his dogs for hunting. In California, this respect for nature -as a cultural whole, underlying belief system - does not exist in my experience. People there focus on different things.

In fact, it's interesting..I've come to believe that.in CA things are more "can do," whereas in WA, it's more "what can you do?" It seems in CA the individual feels he has more control, but in WA, people may feel more controlled by outside forces, hence the "what can you do?" attitude. This could be explained by weather, for sure. I can't imagine trying to schedule any outdoor event even in August. The rain is utterly random, and after a lifetime of this, I can understand the "what can you do" attitude. Maybe this is the connection with nature I sense the permeates the culture up here, and despite its downside, people may be more connected to the earth and nature because it so often impacts their lives day to day. In southern California, weather rarely interferes with anything, and that encourages lots and lots of play, and of course, a different focus.

I am wandering far off topic, excuse me! Still, this is what I was trying to get at with my "culture as a whole" comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe