Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 04:50 PM

511 posts, read 624,629 times

Advertisements

Alright, so I've been checking out jobs in SF, but it looks like the jobs are going to be in Albuquerque, but I would really want to live in Santa Fe. I know there is a train between the cities, and I even know of someone who lives in ABQ and commutes via the train to SF. She leaves her car at the SF station and drives the rest of the way to her acupuncture school in SF.

Anyway, I wonder how realistic it is to drive that distance daily. It must get pretty bad in the snow, and do the roads ice up very often? I would think ice isn't a problem except for when it snows, and it doesn't seem to snow that much, right? But perhaps if commuting, it does snow "a lot," yes? No?

It seems the best way to commute would be via the Rail Runner Express. Do you take the train between the cities? What are your experiences with the train? Good? OK? Not so good? Would it be realistic to think I could park my car at the ABQ station overnight and it would remain safe?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 07:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
It's approximately 60 miles from Albuquerqiue to Santa Fe. It can of couse vary depending on where you live. I know people who have commuted. The train works for some people depending on schedules. There are several Rail Runner stops in Albuquerque, check out their website: Rio Metro Regional Transit District Official Site - Home

You might look through this thread: Commute, Commuting - Albuquerque to Santa Fe

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-06-2016 at 07:57 PM..

Old 10-06-2016, 07:20 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I knew one woman who moved to ABQ from SF for the cheaper rents, but commuted to SF daily. She said she enjoyed having the time to herself, for her thoughts, to plan the day, and so forth. (This was before there was a commuter train.) I also know people who commute by train, and they love it; they much prefer it to driving.

As for snow, the winters have gotten much milder in the last 20 years or so. Snow used to pile up to a foot or two, turn to slush, then freeze overnight to iced slush that was horrific to drive in. Now it rarely snows, and when it does, it's less than an inch to maybe 2 inches, max, and melts off. There can occasionally be some ice around town, but the main streets get plowed and cleared, and the heavy traffic on the highway along with the winter sun melts the ice. There may be occasional cause for concern when commuting after dark, when freezing occurs. Listen to traffic reports on the radio and proceed cautiously.

I've noticed an odd thing during snowstorms in northern NM in the past, and outside of Flagstaff, AZ. For some reason, it's the big cars, the SUV's, that have trouble in the snow and get stuck, while the smaller cars make it through fine. Maybe that's because the bigger vehicles are heavier? Even with 4WD or AWD, they get stuck.

Honestly, I worry more about that long commute during the rainy season than during snow. Huge pools of rainwater can form on the streets around town, and accidents can happen if a car planes on the water.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:28 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,168 times
I'm a state employee who lives and works in SF. But a LOT of state employees who work in SF live in ABQ or Rio Rancho. Two of my colleagues bike from their homes to the train, ride the trim to SF, then bike into the office. One (my boss) has been doing it for 10+ years. It's second nature to him. Another colleague drives to the train and takes the Blue Bus from the train to the office. He'd really like to live in SF, but his wife's job is in ABQ. I would think the reverse commute would be much less crowded.

If you can enjoy your time on the train and use it to work, read or relax, it's not a bad way to go. I'm very motion sick, so the idea of two+hours every day on a train or bus is not appealing to me. I'd say that snow/ice affect I-25 only a few days each year. It's not a lot to worry about.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It's approximately 60 miles from Albuquerqiue to Santa Fe. It can of couse vary depending on where you live. I know people who have commuted. The train works for some people depending on schedules. There are several Rail Runner stops in Albuquerque, check out their website: Rio Metro Regional Transit District Official Site - Home

You might look through this thread: Commute, Commuting - Albuquerque to Santa Fe
Thank you for the commuting thread. It's old...when it started in 2006, there was no train between SF and ABQ, but the thread lasted a few years, and eventually the train made its way between the two cities. The thread is super interesting to read and includes so much I hadn't thought to consider. I'd already gone to the Metro link you provided above, but because of the thread you also posted, it made me think...so I went back to the Metro web site and discovered, , that the morning train from SF to downtown ABQ is scheduled to last 1.5 hours. Well, not so bad, I guess, given it's 67.1 miles (according to Mapquest).

However... the evening train commute is 2 hours, !!! which could be a deal breaker. And that's if all goes well, no issues along the way. I thought the train would cover more ground more quickly, but I hadn't considered all the stops along the way. When I read "express," I thought it was just between the two cities with a few stops only. My mistake.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

As for snow, the winters have gotten much milder in the last 20 years or so. Snow used to pile up to a foot or two, turn to slush, then freeze overnight to iced slush that was horrific to drive in. Now it rarely snows, and when it does, it's less than an inch to maybe 2 inches, max, and melts off. There can occasionally be some ice around town, but the main streets get plowed and cleared, and the heavy traffic on the highway along with the winter sun melts the ice. There may be occasional cause for concern when commuting after dark, when freezing occurs. Listen to traffic reports on the radio and proceed cautiously.

I've noticed an odd thing during snowstorms in northern NM in the past, and outside of Flagstaff, AZ. For some reason, it's the big cars, the SUV's, that have trouble in the snow and get stuck, while the smaller cars make it through fine. Maybe that's because the bigger vehicles are heavier? Even with 4WD or AWD, they get stuck.

Honestly, I worry more about that long commute during the rainy season than during snow. Huge pools of rainwater can form on the streets around town, and accidents can happen if a car planes on the water.
I'm very interested in the rainy season. You're right about hydroplaning cars. I'm not very experienced in heavy rain driving, but I've hydroplaned enough times to know it's not fun, not at all. From what I've read about the area, there are monsoon rains for a couple months in late summer, which is when most of the rain falls for the year. Has that been your experience?

I'm glad to hear that the snow conditions are what I thought based on my research. The conditions don't sound so bad, but upon greater reflection, that is a long commute by car or train in the end. Although it's great working and relaxing on the train, it does cut out a massive window from one's time at home. Working 10-11 hour days is long enough without tacking on 3-4 commute hours to the work day. You and Poncho have got me a-thinking.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I'm a state employee who lives and works in SF. But a LOT of state employees who work in SF live in ABQ or Rio Rancho. Two of my colleagues bike from their homes to the train, ride the trim to SF, then bike into the office. One (my boss) has been doing it for 10+ years. It's second nature to him. Another colleague drives to the train and takes the Blue Bus from the train to the office. He'd really like to live in SF, but his wife's job is in ABQ. I would think the reverse commute would be much less crowded.

If you can enjoy your time on the train and use it to work, read or relax, it's not a bad way to go. I'm very motion sick, so the idea of two+hours every day on a train or bus is not appealing to me. I'd say that snow/ice affect I-25 only a few days each year. It's not a lot to worry about.
Your post is encouraging.

My husband, who is more likely to have to work in ABQ than I, used to ride his bike to work when we lived in San Diego. In fact, he'd take a longer route after work in order to get in a good workout, so the idea of riding his bike to the station would really appeal to him, I know. That's a great suggestion I hadn't thought of. And then if he could work on the train, that might offset the long hours commuting. However, like you, he gets motion sick. He can't even play video games without getting nauseated. So... hmm. It's a wait-and-see kind of thing, I guess.

As for traffic, it hadn't occurred to me that I-25 would be bad, but after reading the commute thread, I realize I was pretty naive to think only a few people would be commuting between the two cities. Which direction is the most busy? Do more people live in ABQ and commute to SF to work, or do more people live in SF and commute to ABQ to work?

Your comment about the commute direction has got me thinking, and I wonder if the traffic is just as bad there as it is where I am. I remember when we moved from San Diego to an hour north of downtown Seattle, and I thought we'd be free of the traffic. What a shock when I found the traffic was worse! I intend to be better informed this time. You know, there's a good possibility I'll be taking a road trip to ABQ and SF in the next few weeks, and I will drive the commute myself and report back to this thread. How's that for answering my own question!

Old 10-07-2016, 06:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Thank you for the commuting thread. It's old...when it started in 2006, there was no train between SF and ABQ, but the thread lasted a few years, and eventually the train made its way between the two cities. The thread is super interesting to read and includes so much I hadn't thought to consider. I'd already gone to the Metro link you provided above, but because of the thread you also posted, it made me think...so I went back to the Metro web site and discovered, , that the morning train from SF to downtown ABQ is scheduled to last 1.5 hours. Well, not so bad, I guess, given it's 67.1 miles (according to Mapquest).

However... the evening train commute is 2 hours, !!! which could be a deal breaker. And that's if all goes well, no issues along the way. I thought the train would cover more ground more quickly, but I hadn't considered all the stops along the way. When I read "express," I thought it was just between the two cities with a few stops only. My mistake.

On the weekday schedule: Rio Metro Regional Transit District Official Site - Weekday

SF to ABQ:

5 stops on the #101 EXPRESS
9 stops on the #517,#519 and $521

My wife gets off at the Sandoval/ US 550 station which is closest to us and is only 2 or 3 stops between destinations...

Old 10-07-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
On the weekday schedule: Rio Metro Regional Transit District Official Site - Weekday

SF to ABQ:

5 stops on the #101 EXPRESS
9 stops on the #517,#519 and $521

My wife gets off at the Sandoval/ US 550 station which is closest to us and is only 2 or 3 stops between destinations...
Unless I'm missing part of the weekday schedule, it appears there's only one Express going south on weekdays, and it leaves the SF depot at 5pm. We'd be going the opposite direction and would need the express in the morning to go to ABQ. It looks like the express trains run opposite to what we'd need. I guess this answers my question which direction the traffic is heaviest on I-25 - more people live in ABQ and work in SF than there are people who live in SF and work in ABQ.

I have to say that I've been reading more and more NM threads and maybe it doesn't have to be Santa Fe, maybe Albuquerque would work. We just want more green and cooler in summer, and SF seemed to have more trees and green, but then I read a thread that mentioned Corrales, went to realtor.com and found some great properties with trees, so maybe SF isn't necessary. We will be buying land with the house, preferably 5 or more acres, but then I found nothing of that size in Corrales, just 2 acre lots.

It's clearly time for a visit.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:39 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
I'm very interested in the rainy season. You're right about hydroplaning cars. I'm not very experienced in heavy rain driving, but I've hydroplaned enough times to know it's not fun, not at all. From what I've read about the area, there are monsoon rains for a couple months in late summer, which is when most of the rain falls for the year. Has that been your experience?

I'm glad to hear that the snow conditions are what I thought based on my research. The conditions don't sound so bad, but upon greater reflection, that is a long commute by car or train in the end. Although it's great working and relaxing on the train, it does cut out a massive window from one's time at home. Working 10-11 hour days is long enough without tacking on 3-4 commute hours to the work day. You and Poncho have got me a-thinking.
By car, I can do it in 45-50 minutes. The speed limit is 75, so going between 75 and 80, it's about 50 minutes, depending on where in Santa Fe you begin (from the north end it will take longer), and where in ABQ you're going. I can't imagine why it would take 2 hrs. on the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe