Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 5,461 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been visiting SF for years. We would love to retire here in a few years from Texas. We thought it might be prudent to buy a small condo first and visit several weeks a year before buying our retirement home. What areas do you recommend as far as safety, close to hiking trails and within a 15 minute drive or so to the Plaza? We want a mountain view and 2 br condo. Is this possible for $350K? Are there areas we should avoid? Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 10:55 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
That might work for you. We've thought of that ourselves except having a cattle ranch means not getting away as much as we like until it sells. I have been checking out condos that you can rent out too, which would help in the cost. Personally, if this ranch sold I'd be there in a heart beat. The heat of OK is sick. We spend all the time we can in Northern New Mexico and other than selling the ranch we have granchildren in OK. So I'd buy my main home in Santa Fe and a condo in OK and go back and forth.

We're looking near the plaza. It is expensive there too. I probably will be selling a whole ranch for something small near the plaza. I have looked south of near El Dorado of Santa Fe which is 20 minute drive in with tons of walking trails but not really a fan of that area. Try Veldia (I know I have that wrong) which is practically up the hill from Santa Fe and it has beautiful walking trails and minutes into the plaza. That is what I am looking at and will see a realtor April.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:58 AM

It is Aldea of Santa Fe. I knew I had the name wrong. I think you would like that area. They also have condos besides homes. While visiting the area many times I always find people out walking the many trails they have and they all seem to be in the retirement age. We're hikers is why I keep mentioning hiking. Just did part of the Divide which is north of Santa Fe up by Chama, NM a few weeks ago.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:18 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claras mom View Post
My husband and I have been visiting SF for years. We would love to retire here in a few years from Texas. We thought it might be prudent to buy a small condo first and visit several weeks a year before buying our retirement home. What areas do you recommend as far as safety, close to hiking trails and within a 15 minute drive or so to the Plaza? We want a mountain view and 2 br condo. Is this possible for $350K? Are there areas we should avoid? Thanks in advance....

Aldea De Santa Fe, Santa Fe, NM Condos & Townhomes for Sale - realtor.com®

Old 10-30-2016, 04:47 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,683 times
There are 9 properties currently for sale in Aldea ranging from a small 2BR townhome for $225K (it's the only one priced in the 2s) up to a 3BR listed for $600,000. For clients I have shown properties to in that development, all have thought that it felt too congested. But, of course, if you're looking at condo communities that is apparently not a factor for you.
As for condos, there are quite a bit to choose from, including some that are within walking distance to the Plaza. For statistics on crime rates, your best source would be the Santa Fe County Sheriff's website. You'll be able to see where a variety of crimes are committed and can then be in a better position to focus your search.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:42 PM

What are the Fort Macy condos going for?

Old 10-31-2016, 07:54 AM

Thanks much Debbie....I'd just like to live somewhere there are actually seasons - not just HOT and not so hot...LOL. Btw,
I was born and raised in OK also...Tulsa area. Hope we can both get out there soon. We are meeting with a realtor in early Dec.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:59 AM

One more question - what about the area by Harry's Roadhouse? condos or houses? What is it called and any thoughts on it?

Old 10-31-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
What are the Fort Macy condos going for?
There are only 4 condos for sale now in the Fort Marcy Compound. Price range is $219,000 - 400,000.
While I'd never choose to live there, they are very active from a rental standpoint, and can bring in a decent return on investment. For instance, the small 1BR/1BA condo for sale at $219K is bringing in over $30,000/yr in rental income. So, depending on one's down payment and interest rate, something like that could yield a nice, positive cash flow.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claras mom View Post
One more question - what about the area by Harry's Roadhouse? condos or houses? What is it called and any thoughts on it?
In the immediate vicinity of Harry's there are no condos. However, within a mile there is a condo development called Quail Run. It is a resort community, with 9-hole golf course, olympic-sized indoor swimming pool, tennis courts and workout facilities. There's also a restaurant and bar, and 24/7 security.
Currently there are 21 units for slae there priced from $269,000-764,500. The 1 bedrooms are priced from $269 - 285K (there are 3 on the market now). The 2BRs go from the mid-300s up to the 600s, and the two 3BR condos are priced in the mid 600s and mid 700s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: