Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2016, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,820 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to either the Santa Fe or Albuquerque areas. Desiring to live in a nearby rural area and commute into either city, we're only going to rent for the first year to make sure we like it. He's in the IT industry, but has also done IT work for schools and non-profits. We've spent a lot of time in New Mexico over the years, and - at the moment - prefer to live around SF. Visiting is not the same as living somewhere - we get that - so we're not ruling ABQ out. We're pretty open to moving to either location, depending on work.

1) What is life like in Tesuque, or in any other rural/small town areas around SF? Madrid? Cerrillos? Can we find a small 1-2 bedroom casita to rent somewhere? In all of my searching I see more ads for apartments and condos, and I just feel like that can't be right. Starting our own business, we use a 3D printer and CNC machine almost daily; therefore, I'm afraid we'd be far too loud for any apartment. We have a big dog too. And we desire such a place for 1k/mo. Is that realistic or am I delusional?

Annnnnd... 2) we have a toddler. As I prepare to go back to work myself, I'm concerned about what the early childhood development options are in both cities. Bilingual immersion programs would be fantastic -- but ultimately, I'm just looking for a good quality preschool/day care. Open to suggestions in ABQ too. Does UNM have any childcare open to the public? I have done quite a bit of research and there appear to be waiting lists a mile long for each decently-ranked facility in both cities! Help. Please help.

Obviously in all of these issues, price is somewhat of an issue. We still own a home in our former state, and as I said before, are starting a business. Ultimately we'd rather pay more for better childcare and scrimp on housing if necessary. Any advice is greatly appreciated! MUCHAS gracias!

Last edited by guernica132; 11-16-2016 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,992 times
I do not have an answer but need info on daycare centers in Santa Fe as well. Moving from out of state next week. Can anyone recommend any? Living near Agua Fria & St Francis.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:41 AM

974 posts, read 2,342,360 times
I understand the Turquoise Trail Charter School has a program for kids 2 years old and up. It's located between Madrid and Santa Fe.

Finding affordable rentals will be easier in the Madrid/Cerrillos area than in Tesuque.

For high-speed internet, NMSurf offers wireless boradband. Their broadcasting station is in the Ortiz Mountains near Madrid/Cerrillos so depending on line-of-sight that could offer much better service than you'd find in, say, Tesuque.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,820 times
Thanks both sodapop1, and GreatSantaFe for the helpful information. I wanted to share what I've found as well:

general overview of state early childhood education programming and guidelines:Early Learning Guidelines | Early Learning New Mexico

Statewide universal pre-K initiative: https://www.newmexicoprek.org/

STARS rating system for early childhood facilities, private and public:
https://www.newmexicokids.org/caregi...for-the-stars/

Interested in any more information anyone else may have to offer.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:57 AM

97 posts, read 172,670 times
I currently live in the Teseque area of santa fe...what i can tell you is that parts of teseque are very expensive..its a beautiful area and of all the more rural areas, very convenient to the heart of town, known as the plaza...can't speak about the childcare there...it's really more of a town more than a city and alot of people come into downtown to do much of their business. Yes, a 1 or 2 bedroom casita is possible but you will pay for it..i have a studio casita and pay $750..that is for a studio and my place is one of the least expensive in the area..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe