Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,012 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are planning to move to a warm/dry place in the next 5 years. Our main reason is the weather. We were both born and raised in the Pacific NW... And frankly I'm tired of it after 30 years. Don't get me wrong, Washington is not a bad place to live. But our winters are too cold, too wet, and last about 6 months out of the year. I have bad knees after being in auto accidents and the winters are just too hard on my body. Especially because our current property is on a hillside.
Also, the sunshine here is rare. It's easy to become depressed here during the winter months and I'm ready for some sunshine and vitamin D. (With sunscreen because we are a family of redheads)

Santa Fe is first on my list because of the beautiful landscape but also the culture. Washington is super liberal and we wouldn't be happy living somewhere ultra conservative. I know Santa Fe has 4 complete seasons which is great because my husband likes the snow. And the annual rainfall is about 15inches which is amazing next to our average of 70inches. Schooling isn't our main priority because we homeschool.
Our main concerns are healthcare, job availability, and housing. I read that the healthcare wasn't great. We are all relatively healthy, but I have Crohn's disease, so access to a gasteroenterologist is pretty important. Also we prefer holistic doctors when it comes to general care.
My husband is a mechanic turned carpenter, so he would need to find a good job doing either. I am a stay at home mom and would prefer to stay that way, mostly so we can continue to homeschool. We would be happy in at least a 2 bedroom house, and as my husband is crafty, we could go for a fixerupper.

Are there any other concerns we aren't taking into consideration? Like venomous critters or natural disasters?

The next place on our list is the Flagstaff/Sedona AZ area if anyone has input on those cities as well.

ALSO, we DO plan to come visit Santa Fe in the next year to get a feel for the place but vacationing is not the same as living. We need real life, practical input.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 05:30 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,350,168 times
I will start - and please understand that I do NOT live there.

I used to live there for two years in the 1980s and had no trouble at all with the altitude and dryness. I mean, none. But I was also in my early 20s. Since I have started returning there for visits in my 40s and 50s, the altitude and dryness have been really hard for me to adjust to. I really love Santa Fe, and it has a VERY special place in my heart. But even after we were there for a full month, I never fully lost the awareness of how "high and dry" we were. I get migraines, for instance, and got them much more frequently when we were there. It was a disappointment to face that I now probably need a lower climate with more moisture for our permanent home.

Coming from the PNW, you might struggle with this, too -- or you might be totally fine. But I'd recommend coming for a longish visit to see if you have any issues with this (or perhaps count on renting for the first 6-12 months in case it turns out to be an issue).

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I will start - and please understand that I do NOT live there.

I used to live there for two years in the 1980s and had no trouble at all with the altitude and dryness. I mean, none. But I was also in my early 20s. Since I have started returning there for visits in my 40s and 50s, the altitude and dryness have been really hard for me to adjust to. I really love Santa Fe, and it has a VERY special place in my heart. But even after we were there for a full month, I never fully lost the awareness of how "high and dry" we were. I get migraines, for instance, and got them much more frequently when we were there. It was a disappointment to face that I now probably need a lower climate with more moisture for our permanent home.

Coming from the PNW, you might struggle with this, too -- or you might be totally fine. But I'd recommend coming for a longish visit to see if you have any issues with this (or perhaps count on renting for the first 6-12 months in case it turns out to be an issue).

Good luck!
I didn't even consider the altitude/headache connection. I get frequent headaches and migraines so that is a major concern.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Well, a lot of people adjust and manage just fine, and you may well be among them. So don't be too discouraged by this; just keep it in mind as something to check out (at some length) in person.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:38 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
OP, the winters in most of NM have always been much colder than in Western WA. Not sure why you thought otherwise? It's not California. However, that said, the winters have been milder the last few years; the climate is clearly warming. Snow is rare now, and light, whereas it used to dump a foot or two at a time, not infrequently. Flagstaff would be a much better bet for snow.

SF has gastroenterologists. The hospital gets really mixed reviews, but another one is being built. A mechanic shouldn't have trouble finding a job. Carpentry is something he could do on the side, perhaps. Your problem will be housing; a mechanic won't make enough to support a family alone, unless you live outside of town. Wages are low, rents/RE costs are high in SF; it's somewhat of a resort town economy. Take a look at El Dorado--an easy commute into town, for better affordability. Also: Cerrillos, Madrid, Glorieta.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, the winters in most of NM have always been much colder than in Western WA. Not sure why you thought otherwise? It's not California. However, that said, the winters have been milder the last few years; the climate is clearly warming. Snow is rare now, and light, whereas it used to dump a foot or two at a time, not infrequently. Flagstaff would be a much better bet for snow.

SF has gastroenterologists. The hospital gets really mixed reviews, but another one is being built. A mechanic shouldn't have trouble finding a job. Carpentry is something he could do on the side, perhaps. Your problem will be housing; a mechanic won't make enough to support a family alone, unless you live outside of town. Wages are low, rents/RE costs are high in SF; it's somewhat of a resort town economy. Take a look at El Dorado--an easy commute into town, for better affordability. Also: Cerrillos, Madrid, Glorieta.
I am aware that Santa Fe is not in California. I stated I have no problem with winter, just our wet winters. The cold is fine. The WET cold is not. The damp contributes to joint inflammation due to the mold it creates. And it also renders our property absolutely useless to me because it turns into a big muddy hill and inhale problems walking out to my vehicle without slipping. Snow is also okay. 70 inches of rain a year... Not so much.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:05 PM

8 posts, read 9,260 times
Well no/little mold in Santa Fe so if you have severe mold allergies, this will be a godsend.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:45 AM

16 posts, read 20,519 times
We are looking also. In your search look at the Placitas, because it has some nice homes. Close to the city, but not too close. We have made too trips down to look at homes in Sandia mountains, Placitas, & Santa Fe. good luck

Old 02-14-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacarthur View Post
Well no/little mold in Santa Fe so if you have severe mold allergies, this will be a godsend.
Yes, but take a look at this thread for lots of information about OTHER allergies. (The thread's kind of old, but for this topic in particular, that probably does not matter too much.)
//www.city-data.com/forum/santa...bbitbrush.html

(But having raised two red flags now, let me stress again that the sunshine is glorious and there is so much to love about Santa Fe. So, OP, you might be on the right track - do stick with your plan to come check it out in person to see how it works for you.)

Old 02-14-2017, 08:56 AM

8 posts, read 9,260 times
I find that pollen allergies can be controlled or minimized with allergy shots, antihistamines, nasal spray and saline rinse, while there is absolutely no relief from mold allergies. Also mold is a year round phenomenon in many locales and with symptoms like brain fog, constant fatigue, and dizziness I'd argue its effects are fare more pernicious than a typical pollen allergy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe