Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 06:08 PM

115 posts, read 147,096 times

Advertisements

So my parents want to host a grand family vacation and mother has selected Santa Fe. My parents are about 70. I have three kids ages 5 and under. My bro will also come with his 5 yr old. My parents are coming from small town, me Houston and bro from NYC. We rarely all spend time together so this is sorta a big deal. With all these little kids how do we pull it off? My mother's Fanta y is to tour ruins and eat street food. My husband and 5 yr old both can't eat dairy or eggs and I and my 4 yr old are celiac.... this is where food and eating out get complicated. Am I doomed here? Renting a condo on the beach is usually my preference of a vacation and that is still a ton of work with our littles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 06:42 PM

I should of mentioned we are looking at visiting in June. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2017, 06:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
I live in New Mexico, but not in Santa Fe. These "Santa Fe" threads will hopefully get you started:
Recommendations for vacation
Help: Planning vacation through NM
suggestions for non-expensive vacation rentals in Santa Fe
Vacation in Santa Fe?
Santa Fe vacation with kids
Good luck!

Old 02-28-2017, 07:55 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
Could you rent a house that has a kitchen and do most of your own cooking?

Old 02-28-2017, 05:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
By searching on the term "santa fe family reunion facility" you will find quite a few references for the Santa Fe area, such as this one for Fort Marcy.

Ft. Marcy Hotel Suites

Old 02-28-2017, 06:52 PM

Thank you. We have reserved an amazing reunion type of home that can accommodate all of us and allow room for the kids to play. Now I am looking forward to it and could just be happy having our at the rental. Arranging any sort of activity that requires getting all the kids in the car is not in my agenda. Ha!

Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,076 times
You may know this already, but iirc there's a Whole Foods , sprouts market and Trader Joe's in Santa Fe so that might help with the special dietary needs. Have fun!

Old 03-03-2017, 02:45 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,373 times
Not much street food to speak of in Santa Fe, although the south side of town has quite a few good taco trucks and a number of "gourmet" food trucks have sprouted up in recent years. If he's still around, Roque's carnitas cart on the Plaza does delicious steak tacos that are more like a fajita than what non-New Mexicans think of as carnitas, but I have no specific "street food" recommendations otherwise. Santa Fe has quite a few vegetarian/vegan restaurants and should have a few celiac-friendly spots, though perhaps less so if you're interested in trying traditional New Mexican food. The local weekly arts and entertainment paper, the Santa Fe Reporter, has good food coverage and is probably the best way to get your culinary bearings. Check out Edible Santa Fe, too. Many other dining guides are of course available online.

As far as ruins go, your best bets are Bandelier National Monument, Puye Cliff Dwellings, and Pecos National Historical Park. Bandelier is quite large, but the most accessible and kid-friendly section consists of a large pueblo ruin and a number of cliff dwellings located at the bottom of a scenic canyon. A paved, fairly easy loop trail runs to most of the major sites and there's a nice, recently remodeled 1930s-era visitors center too. In order to visit the park you will need to drive to the town of White Rock and then catch a (nice, clean, nearly brand-new) bus to the Visitor's Center.

Puye is another cliff dwelling/pueblo site. It's owned and operated by the Pueblo of Santa Clara, whose ancestors once lived there, and can be visited via guided tours led by Pueblo members. The tribe also demonstrates traditional dances for visitors, and you can buy Pueblo pottery and other arts & crafts in the vicinity. The site is closed for traditional ceremonies at certain times of the year.

Finally, Pecos National Historical Park preserves the ruins of what was one of the largest and most powerful Pueblo villages at the time the Spanish arrived in the 16th century. You can tour the large (unexcavated) hilltop pueblo ruin and the excavated remains of an extensive mission complex built by Spanish priests (and Pueblo laborers) during the first half of the 17th century. It gets a lot fewer visitors than Bandelier does, but is a neat site with a lot of history. It's probably a half-hour or so east of Santa Fe, right off I-25.

Oh, and since you'll have little ones with you you'll definitely want to make sure you check out the Museum of International Folk Art on Museum Hill and the Meow Wolf interactive adventure/art space on the south side of town. Meow Wolf is a bit pricey, can get crowded, and isn't really what most people from out of town have in mind when they think of Santa Fe, but is totally cool for people of all ages and your kids will love it.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:03 PM

859 posts, read 1,361,448 times
Please be aware of and read up on 'altitude sickness', especially with little ones and elderly parents. I've been to Santa Fe/Albuquerque several times, and my last trip last month, got a touch of it - it's not fun, and can be quite dangerous if not treated in time. The locals all told me to start drinking a lot of water before even leaving on the trip, and make sure you're drinking lots during the day while you're out.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:07 PM

100 posts, read 284,175 times
Yes, I second the folk art museum and Meow Wolf both as fun activities. I like taking my kids to Meow Wolf on Sunday mornings to avoid the crowds since it can get ridiculously crowded. Also, dress in comfortable clothes because you will get a workout chasing after the little ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe