Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:30 PM

100 posts, read 284,673 times

Advertisements

My kids (1 boy, 1 girl) are elementary age so I do not hear of the goings on at the high school or middle school levels. I am aware of the high suicide rate but unaware of why. Keep in mind the small sample size. Any changes in a town of 12000 (18000 if you include White Rock) will have a large effect.

I found out about the high suicide rate after moving here. I don't know the reason behind the high number but I certainly would have been concerned. However, I am personally aware of any cases but perhaps it's just not widely publicized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 05:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,178,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professor gimp View Post
I found out about the high suicide rate after moving here. I don't know the reason behind the high number but I certainly would have been concerned. However, I am personally aware of any cases but perhaps it's just not widely publicized.
There's a very good reason that adolescent suicides are not published.

Quote:
Teen Copycat Suicides Are A Real Phenomenon

A new study provides the strongest evidence yet that sensational media reporting of a teen suicide plays into the tendency of other kids to imitate the tragic act.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:40 PM

61 posts, read 87,386 times
Good points re: sample size and sensationalizing teen suicide. I am currently in Colorado where I beleive suicide is the number 1 COD among adolescents. There is also a strong correlation between elevation and overall suicide rates. I personally love Durango, co, and think it would be an excellent place to raise a kid, but it has a teen suicide rate 3x the national average.

I did try to look up reports of teen suicide in LA, but only found two reported. I agree the line between reporting something like this andvsensationalizing it is almost non-existent anymore, so who knows if any suicides went unreported. Ultimately it's a factor in deciding where to live, and certainly one tom consider, but far from a determinative one.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:42 PM

Let me ask you guys this: are the sunsets in LA as beautiful as albuquerque? I loved watching the sun set when I lived there, beyond beautiful.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:26 AM

100 posts, read 284,673 times
In a word, yes (re: sunset). It is my opinion that LA beats ABQ in most ways. Granted, you will not find stuff you can in a city, big box stores, target, fine dining, etc., but Santa Fe isn't too far away.

I feel like there is something else I should tell you about. New Mexico's official slogan is 'The Land of Enchantment' but it's unofficial name is 'The Land of Manana'. While manana translates as tomorrow, it does not mean things will get done tomorrow, just not today. You get less of that in LA but it IS still NM.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Lol, thanks for the heads up. I lived in ABQ for a year or so awhile back, but honestly, people seemed like they were busting tail compared to some of my experiences in CO and elsewhere. I'm pretty laid back, as long as people are getting the green chile out, we're good.

Bonus points: Is CD the only forum site that does not send me an email when someone comments on my thread? Am I missing something? Makes for some protracted conversations!

Old 07-10-2017, 10:31 AM

102,246 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuy View Post

Bonus points: Is CD the only forum site that does not send me an email when someone comments on my thread? Am I missing something? Makes for some protracted conversations!
It's not automatic. You have to "subscribe" to the threads you want to receive notifications about. I'm not sure how to do that, but there's a "subscribed forums" menu item on the blue bar at the top of the forum page. Try clicking on that.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuy View Post
Is CD the only forum site that does not send me an email when someone comments on my thread? Am I missing something? Makes for some protracted conversations!
This might help:

Old 12-13-2017, 08:54 AM

173 posts, read 315,443 times
How difficult would things be for a single guy in Los Alamos if I were to were to work at the lab?

I'm eager to move back to NM (born and raised in Ruidoso) and Los Alamos seems like a good alternative if I want to actually get a job.
I assume that meeting anyone locally wouldn't be very easy, but Santa Fe isn't too far away.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:52 AM

102,246 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
How difficult would things be for a single guy in Los Alamos if I were to were to work at the lab?

I'm eager to move back to NM (born and raised in Ruidoso) and Los Alamos seems like a good alternative if I want to actually get a job.
I assume that meeting anyone locally wouldn't be very easy, but Santa Fe isn't too far away.
Work at the lab in what capacity? Many scientists and engineers live in Santa Fe, and commute to the lab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe