Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:05 AM

974 posts, read 2,351,036 times

Advertisements

Santa Fe is primarily middle class and if you picture a bell curve I imagine there'll be a little peak at the low end and a peak at the upper end. Lots of music groups for you to play with. Meow Wolf artists' collective has been a huge success; they are all in your age group 20's and 30's. Their success is attracting other young folks who are interested in the arts. They have lots of live music concerts/performances that I've heard let out at 2:00AM (I am way to old to know that personally!!!). Here's a link to their music events and to their website. I love that place!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-04-2017 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Repaired URL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 05:37 PM

105 posts, read 130,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cag5 View Post
Definitely! I'm planning on a trip to the Southwest sometime in August.
Hey Cag5, did you visit Sant Fe? What do you think?

Old 09-06-2017, 04:32 PM

4,858 posts, read 3,674,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cag5 View Post
A little background about myself –

I’m a 24 year old woman who is a classical musician and composer. I did my undergrad degree in LA and a masters’ degree in Houston. I just graduated and my eventual plan is to probably get a PhD and teach at the college level. But I have never been outside of school, 6 years of conservatory has been a very very stressful thing, and I feel like I need to take a break and move somewhere for a couple years, get a basic job that will pay the bills, and live a more normal life for a little while.

From what I’ve heard about Santa Fe, here’s what attracts me to it.

- Scenery – I grew up north of Seattle, so I love mountains and the outdoors. I like hiking, going on runs, riding my bike, etc. It would be great to live in such a scenic area. Also, apparently the climate is good – not as hot - compared to most of the Southwest.
- Culture – I’ve heard there’s a lot of art and music, which obviously matches my interests.
- I’ve heard that Santa Fe feels a little isolated and a little different from the rest of the country, and that sounds nice to me.

What I’m mainly concerned about is finding a job and the cost of living. I’ve heard that apparently there isn’t much of a middle class, and it’s mostly either wealthy retirees or poor people who work in the hotels and restaurants. Some kind of job with the opera or symphony – even just working at the box office – would be ideal. But I’m open to a variety of things, and just want to be able to afford an apartment and live relatively comfortably. I’m totally willing to live with a roommate, or even multiple roommates, to lower the rent, as long as they’re not crazy; in fact, I think I prefer it. I’m very introverted and sometimes end up not having a lot of social interaction otherwise.

And I’m not a huge drinking/partying person but it might be nice if there were at least some events/chances to meet people my age.

Can anyone give feedback on the accuracy of the things I’ve heard about Santa Fe, or have any other advice for me about it?

I adore Santa Fe. I would move today if my husband would do it. But he will not. Will I outlive him? If I do, I will be making plans before his body is cold.

You are young and talented, sure do it! I lived 12 years in the Seattle area and you will probably fit in perfectly politically.

Do it!

Old 09-06-2017, 09:37 PM

876 posts, read 818,867 times
I would not let weather deter you from moving to Sante Fe. The city is over 7,000 ft above sea level so you will have the occasional dry snow storm, but whatever accumulates doesn't stick around for long when the sun comes back out. It can get very cold in the single digits or below zero for brief periods due to the thin air, and there is a large fluctuation from night to day.

Summers are very tolerable even when it gets into the 90's. You won't be sweating up a storm like you do in Seattle in similar temps. However, the high altitude sun can be withering if you're out biking, hiking or running, but people get around that by doing those things early or late in the day and staying well hydrated.

Because you are a credentialed musician and artist, you will fit in well since you have a built-in community. Get ready for a big cultural change from the Pacific Northwest. Santa Fe is a small town in comparison.

Last edited by A1eutian; 09-06-2017 at 09:47 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 10:59 AM

16 posts, read 21,947 times
Yes, move to Santa Fe. I almost did at your age, but went to Austin instead and I've been in Texas ever since...

Move to Santa Fe, today.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:00 PM

I am here in Santa Fe today. Just ate at Cowgirl. So love this city different.

Staying at the Santa Claran in Espanola - really nice hotel!!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:06 PM

974 posts, read 2,351,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I am here in Santa Fe today. Just ate at Cowgirl. So love this city different.

Staying at the Santa Claran in Espanola - really nice hotel!!
I put on about 10 pounds when I moved here - the restaurants roped me in! The Cowgirl is fun and lordy there are so many more.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
I put on about 10 pounds when I moved here - the restaurants roped me in! The Cowgirl is fun and lordy there are so many more.
Was there yesterday. Tasty, but I just had a salad. It's about choices.

Like my Chilie pie at Five and Dime today :O

Old 09-14-2017, 08:33 PM

201 posts, read 294,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Santa Fe is not the NW. There are mountains, but it's hot in the summers. "Not as hot as the rest of the Southwest" means temps in the 90's instead of 100+. Some people do bike and run in the summers, but I'm not able to do it, being from Seattle and coastal CA. I hide out indoors with the A/C in the summers.
Huh? I'm in Cedar Crest at 7k feet, and our temps are pretty identical for the most part. I also grew up in Seattle. To say that the summers here are so hot that you have to hide indoors, makes me believe that you were never an outdoorsy person in Seattle. I think the temps are perfect. I'm out hiking in full sun during the summers all day and have 0 issues. The lack of humidity makes hot temperatures extremely tolerable in New Mexico. To add, my 76 year old neighbor does daily mile hikes around our neighborhood at a +/- 600 ft elevation gain round-trip... he has no issues and goes through winter and summer.

Enjoy your A/C.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:13 PM

102,337 posts, read 108,588,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
Huh? I'm in Cedar Crest at 7k feet, and our temps are pretty identical for the most part. I also grew up in Seattle. To say that the summers here are so hot that you have to hide indoors, makes me believe that you were never an outdoorsy person in Seattle. I think the temps are perfect. I'm out hiking in full sun during the summers all day and have 0 issues. The lack of humidity makes hot temperatures extremely tolerable in New Mexico. To add, my 76 year old neighbor does daily mile hikes around our neighborhood at a +/- 600 ft elevation gain round-trip... he has no issues and goes through winter and summer.

Enjoy your A/C.
The hot temperatures are hot, period. It makes no difference, unless you're from New York, or some other very humid location, whether the air is dry or humid. Hot is hot.It's misleading to tell people from the West Coast that 90+ is fine in Santa Fe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe