Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:52 PM

201 posts, read 294,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The hot temperatures are hot, period. It makes no difference, unless you're from New York, or some other very humid location, whether the air is dry or humid. Hot is hot.It's misleading to tell people from the West Coast that 90+ is fine in Santa Fe.
Humid heat is no equivalent to dry heat. With humidity your body is not able to sweat/cool off as efficiently in comparison with that of dry heat which quickly evaporates as you sweat. I've been through Africa and the Middle East, and you're full of crap. Get back inside, quick... before the sun eclipses your skin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 02:47 PM

511 posts, read 632,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
Humid heat is no equivalent to dry heat. With humidity your body is not able to sweat/cool off as efficiently in comparison with that of dry heat which quickly evaporates as you sweat. I've been through Africa and the Middle East, and you're full of crap. Get back inside, quick... before the sun eclipses your skin!
I just returned from ABQ. The day temps ranged from 93 - 99 degrees. We happened to be there in between the weeks that were in the 80s. I can do 90, but when it gets above 91 or 92, my mind gets fuzzy and I can't teach well. My students have noticed this. I lose coordination, I lose words, stumble physically, emotionally, and mentally, my body sweats all over nonstop, sweat runs into my eyes. I lose my sense of self, have trouble making decisions, and my body gets jittery, shaky. Once I was in Vegas and it was 116 degrees, the hottest I've ever experienced. I could not be outside. I would have fainted if I had to be outside longer than it took to get from the airport shuttle van to the hotel entrance.

It's not crap that heat is heat. 90 degree humid heat feels heavier, more pressing than 90 degree dry heat, I give you that, but some bodies have trouble with heat, as some have trouble with cold, and when humidity and dryness are added to the heat or cold equation, that can make things even more complicated. The lymphatic system, the endocrine system, and how efficiently your body eliminates/processes toxins or "assaults" will often determine how well your body can tolerate heat and cold and humidity and dryness.

Your "full of crap" comment reminds me of the people who used to tell me to suck it up when I had so much trouble in the heat, dry or humid. Living in San Diego, where it's humid, I experienced the heat and humidity, and then when the Santa Ana winds came, I experienced the hot and dry, and although they create different exterior conditions, they still made me sick.

Not everyone has your (apparently) resilient and hardy body in the heat. Lucky, lucky you.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:35 PM

511 posts, read 632,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
Huh? I'm in Cedar Crest at 7k feet, and our temps are pretty identical for the most part. I also grew up in Seattle. To say that the summers here are so hot that you have to hide indoors, makes me believe that you were never an outdoorsy person in Seattle. I think the temps are perfect. I'm out hiking in full sun during the summers all day and have 0 issues. The lack of humidity makes hot temperatures extremely tolerable in New Mexico. To add, my 76 year old neighbor does daily mile hikes around our neighborhood at a +/- 600 ft elevation gain round-trip... he has no issues and goes through winter and summer.

Enjoy your A/C.
The temps are perfect for YOU and apparently your older neighbor. How strange that you feel the need to taunt, to defend your highly personal experience with such vigor.

Fourteen years ago, I left San Diego for the Seattle area, where I currently live. I moved specifically for the weather and the outdoor opportunities to hike and explore the wilderness. Yesterday it hit 84 degrees, and it just felt hot. Some people liked it, many were looking forward to the cold front that's moving in tomorrow, going to drop our temps into the low 60s and bring rain and propel us into true fall and no more heat until well into next year. I can almost hear a massive sigh of relief across the Sound.

You no longer live in a cool, gray, damp, wet climate. You moved to a very dry, much hotter, high-elevation area, quite different from where you grew up. Hmmmm.... Perhaps you don't do gray very well. Perhaps you don't do wet very well. But what you still do very well is defend, for no good reason, in true Seattle fashion. You can never fully leave your roots behind no matter how high you may try to climb.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:42 PM

887 posts, read 1,223,615 times
You no longer live in a cool, gray, damp, wet climate.

Lucky them. If a dry 90 degrees is more than you can bear you probably made the best choice in relocating. You are correct. Some people can handle it, some can't.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:28 PM

4,865 posts, read 3,680,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
I put on about 10 pounds when I moved here - the restaurants roped me in! The Cowgirl is fun and lordy there are so many more.
I find it a really easy city to stick to my ketogentic diet. Lots of chicken, avocado, etc. Restaurants are very, very accommodating, at least to me.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The hot temperatures are hot, period. It makes no difference, unless you're from New York, or some other very humid location, whether the air is dry or humid. Hot is hot.It's misleading to tell people from the West Coast that 90+ is fine in Santa Fe.
The hot temperatures are hot, period. It makes no difference, unless you're from New York, or some other very humid location, whether the air is dry or humid[/b]. Hot is hot.It's misleading to tell people from the West Coast that 90+ is fine in Santa Fe.

Hello,

No offense, but I think Ruth4truth meant that they didn’t have troubles with that temperature (90+) and mostly meant that in comparison to Seattle etc. I have been to CA, (45 min. south of LA) for example, where I would be right in the direst sun and I’d be fine. Didn’t break a sweat at all. However, living in south of hell, oh, I mean FL. I take my garbage to the freakin garage and I come back in and I’m spchvtzing to say in Yiddish lol. It’s the dry thin air, I think, that makes all the difference. It’s also perception. If I am not feeling the humidity and I can breathe, I don’t sweat. In contrast, when I feel that think gooey Florida air, like when I get off a plane to come “home”, it’s like I sweat just because I know I’m back in hell!! Lol. Back in the sauna where I cannot breathe!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe