Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:36 AM

4 posts, read 10,739 times

Advertisements

A little background about myself –

I’m a 24 year old woman who is a classical musician and composer. I did my undergrad degree in LA and a masters’ degree in Houston. I just graduated and my eventual plan is to probably get a PhD and teach at the college level. But I have never been outside of school, 6 years of conservatory has been a very very stressful thing, and I feel like I need to take a break and move somewhere for a couple years, get a basic job that will pay the bills, and live a more normal life for a little while.

From what I’ve heard about Santa Fe, here’s what attracts me to it.

- Scenery – I grew up north of Seattle, so I love mountains and the outdoors. I like hiking, going on runs, riding my bike, etc. It would be great to live in such a scenic area. Also, apparently the climate is good – not as hot - compared to most of the Southwest.
- Culture – I’ve heard there’s a lot of art and music, which obviously matches my interests.
- I’ve heard that Santa Fe feels a little isolated and a little different from the rest of the country, and that sounds nice to me.

What I’m mainly concerned about is finding a job and the cost of living. I’ve heard that apparently there isn’t much of a middle class, and it’s mostly either wealthy retirees or poor people who work in the hotels and restaurants. Some kind of job with the opera or symphony – even just working at the box office – would be ideal. But I’m open to a variety of things, and just want to be able to afford an apartment and live relatively comfortably. I’m totally willing to live with a roommate, or even multiple roommates, to lower the rent, as long as they’re not crazy; in fact, I think I prefer it. I’m very introverted and sometimes end up not having a lot of social interaction otherwise.

And I’m not a huge drinking/partying person but it might be nice if there were at least some events/chances to meet people my age.

Can anyone give feedback on the accuracy of the things I’ve heard about Santa Fe, or have any other advice for me about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:19 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,192,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cag5 View Post
Can anyone give feedback on the accuracy of the things I’ve heard about Santa Fe, or have any other advice for me about it?
Since you generalized, I'd say you're fairly accurate in your assessment. Santa Fe is the state capital, so there are many who work in government jobs that make up a fair percentage of "middle class."

I would have thought you'd have mentioned taking on private students or otherwise teaching privately - as opposed to teaching academically. What is your instrumental specialty? If you're able to teach any of the most popular instruments - piano, guitar, violin, etc. - I'd think you might do that in addition to any other type of job you can find.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,179,820 times
You need to plan a trip to Santa Fe and check it out for yourself. Look at it from the eyes of someone that may move there, instead of as a tourist.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:49 AM

102,302 posts, read 108,445,430 times
There happens to be an opening for box office staff right now, at the main concert venue in town. You can find it on Indeed.com for Santa Fe. But working a job like that, your only option pretty much, would be sharing a place with roommates. A lot of people in SF need to work two jobs to pay the rent; rents/RE prices are high, wages with rare exception are low. It's good that you're willing to be flexible, and consider a house share situation.

The idea re: taking private music students on the side was a good one. There are private schools in town, where you might be able to pick up students.

Santa Fe is not the NW. There are mountains, but it's hot in the summers. "Not as hot as the rest of the Southwest" means temps in the 90's instead of 100+. Some people do bike and run in the summers, but I'm not able to do it, being from Seattle and coastal CA. I hide out indoors with the A/C in the summers. This June has been cooler than usual, and the last couple of summers, we've had some good rain showers in our hottest months (July/Aug) to cool things off a little, but it's still the Southwest. On the positive side, winters are milder, so the streets are no longer icy/slushy/frozen slush, and walking outside in cold but sunny weather is nice.

Lots of classical music happening. Lots of art fairs, art galleries, museums. I've heard that people in your age range complain about the small dating pool, but OTOH, that means you'll get noticed (a fresh face!) Living with roommates will help you get into the social scene, undoubtedly.

If you move here, have money in reserve to pay your living expenses while you look for a job.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Since you generalized, I'd say you're fairly accurate in your assessment. Santa Fe is the state capital, so there are many who work in government jobs that make up a fair percentage of "middle class."

I would have thought you'd have mentioned taking on private students or otherwise teaching privately - as opposed to teaching academically. What is your instrumental specialty? If you're able to teach any of the most popular instruments - piano, guitar, violin, etc. - I'd think you might do that in addition to any other type of job you can find.
I'm glad you brought that up. I'm an oboist and pianist - more serious about oboe but I could definitely teach piano to beginning students. I guess I didn't mention it at first because I'd be finding students gradually and would definitely have to have a stable job lined up in addition. But I'd definitely try to do that!

Old 06-29-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
You need to plan a trip to Santa Fe and check it out for yourself. Look at it from the eyes of someone that may move there, instead of as a tourist.
Definitely! I'm planning on a trip to the Southwest sometime in August.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There happens to be an opening for box office staff right now, at the main concert venue in town. You can find it on Indeed.com for Santa Fe. But working a job like that, your only option pretty much, would be sharing a place with roommates. A lot of people in SF need to work two jobs to pay the rent; rents/RE prices are high, wages with rare exception are low. It's good that you're willing to be flexible, and consider a house share situation.

The idea re: taking private music students on the side was a good one. There are private schools in town, where you might be able to pick up students.

Santa Fe is not the NW. There are mountains, but it's hot in the summers. "Not as hot as the rest of the Southwest" means temps in the 90's instead of 100+. Some people do bike and run in the summers, but I'm not able to do it, being from Seattle and coastal CA. I hide out indoors with the A/C in the summers. This June has been cooler than usual, and the last couple of summers, we've had some good rain showers in our hottest months (July/Aug) to cool things off a little, but it's still the Southwest. On the positive side, winters are milder, so the streets are no longer icy/slushy/frozen slush, and walking outside in cold but sunny weather is nice.

Lots of classical music happening. Lots of art fairs, art galleries, museums. I've heard that people in your age range complain about the small dating pool, but OTOH, that means you'll get noticed (a fresh face!) Living with roommates will help you get into the social scene, undoubtedly.

If you move here, have money in reserve to pay your living expenses while you look for a job.
This is all very helpful; thanks! Good to have realistic info about the climate. I could probably handle 90s as long as I had AC! Humidity is what I really hate - living in Houston I was miserable for the first few months of the school year.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:25 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,192,996 times
Quote:
Humidity is what I really hate - living in Houston I was miserable for the first few months of the school year.
Santa Fe is like heaven compared to Houston in summer! And contrary to what many think, S.F. has relatively mild winters too.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:06 AM

102,302 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
This is all very helpful; thanks! Good to have realistic info about the climate. I could probably handle 90s as long as I had AC! Humidity is what I really hate - living in Houston I was miserable for the first few months of the school year.
Many rentals don't have A/C; they have swamp coolers instead, which is enough, most of the time, except when there's humidity in the air and it's getting ready to rain. The weather forecast for the first third of July is for temps around 82, which is cool compared to the past. If you were here then, you'd get a false impression of milder temps than usual. I don't know what's going on; Seattle was in the 90's in June; climate change has turned the cool spots hot, and the hot spots cool, for now.

Check Craigslist for house shares, to get an idea of what's out there, and what the rents are like.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 AM

679 posts, read 1,466,024 times
Quote:
Yesterday my weather sensor pegged the humidity at 7% at one point. While I have not seen it that low before (only been here since last August), something between 10 and 15% does not surprise me. It says 18% right now at 9:30 am, so it could be another day along those lines.

It was about 90 yesterday and because of that level of humidity, quite comfortable. Would I want to run five miles in it? No, but I don't want to run five miles regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe