Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:02 PM

28 posts, read 151,611 times

Advertisements

I 've lived in Edgewood since April 2008 when I came from Romania to marry the man I love. It is a great change for me and I find it so hard to find my own place here. I left my country, my family, my friends, my job, everything. I am still struggling with the adjustments to my new life fere. People are very nice and friendly especially at church, but I have to be honest... I don't really like here... for many reasons. First, this desert is depresing me... there is not green at all... and ther is so much dust...and dirt....I miss so much my green grass, my vegetable garden... healthy food... I miss to see flowers... I miss taking a bus or a train...Actually I don't have a driver's license which makes my life miserable here. I didn't really need that back home, because in Europe, as you probably know, there are so many possibilities to travel... everywhere. I also don't see people walking... they are so much dependent on their cars...I don't see kids playing outside...the neighbors don't know eachother... it's so sad.... I was shocked when I first came here and found out that my husband lived here for 12 years and doesn's know the neighbors.....I still am...In my little rural town everyone knows everyone... we were like a family... we would visit eachother without the need "to call first"...
I also miss Romanians... I don't know if there are any around... maybe not...but it's so hard to start everything from the beginning... in a completley new world...
I don't really know why I posted this message... maybe hoping to find some of my people... maybe to get an advice about how to adjust easier...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:09 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
I moved your thread to New Mexico. I do hope that is the Edgewood you are referring to; if not, we'll move it again. The About the Forum is for talk only about general administrative issues.

Hope you understand, and hope you find some friendship and get comfortable here in the States.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 PM

Thank you... but I've read some other topics and there were not only about administrative issues. Sorry for bothering with my problems...

Old 03-18-2008, 07:20 PM

No problem at all, dana7.

Are you in New Mexico?

I lived in Taos, and co-incidentally my maternal grand-mother was born in Rumania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana7 View Post
Thank you... but I've read some other topics and there were not only about administrative issues. Sorry for bothering with my problems...

Old 03-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Wow... really? Do you know what part of Romania? Can you speak any Romanian?
Yes, I live in New Mexico.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 PM

Sorry, no I don't speak any Romanian. But I could understand my grand-mother. She came to the US as a young bride a very long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana7 View Post
Wow... really? Can you speak any Romanian?
Yes, I live in New Mexico.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:01 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Hey Dana....yeap that is a tough transition especially since the population is so small out there and not having a drivers liscense so you can get out and about. Insist to your husband on helping you get one.

I remember when the Romanian Dictator Ceaucescu was overthrown and shot as it was all over the news here. I also remember back when Romania defied the Soviet Union as the only Eastern Block Country to attend the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles back then as we were all pulling for Romania during the games.

Maybe you can find some Romanian web sites to help in your boredom as ir's tough were your at. Do you think about going back ?? Wish i had an answer but maybe finding different chat or posting sites like this one may help some. Is there Romanian TV or Radio on the internet you can watch or listen too??

Anyway i hope for the best for you......

Old 03-18-2008, 08:12 PM

Thank you 6 FOOT 3!
You are right about the dictator... I was 24 when he was overthrown... I remember those days so well... And also about the Olympics... We were so proud of Nadia Comaneci...
Yes, I would like to go back, but my husband doesn't speak any Romanian so it would be hard for him to find a job there. But we plan to spend our holidays in Romania. This year we will be there in August. I can't wait!!!!! My country is still struggling after so many years of communism, trying to find its way in this democracy, but it's such a beautiful country with wonderful people...Yes, we got to install a dish network... so I have 4 Romanian TV channels, which is great!!!
Thnak you again for the encouragement!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:46 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Thats right about Nadia Comaneci.....the perfect 10 in Gymnastics as i remember it correct?? So is Romanian a Slav language? Simular to Russian and Bulgarian? Is there and Macedonian or Greek at all in it as it was part of the Byzantine Empire (Eastern Roman) way back when??

Well i got to crash out as i get up early (4.00 A.M.) to go to the gym so take care Dana !!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thats right about Nadia Comaneci.....the perfect 10 in Gymnastics as i remember it correct?? So is Romanian a Slav language? Simular to Russian and Bulgarian? Is there and Macedonian or Greek at all in it as it was part of the Byzantine Empire (Eastern Roman) way back when??

Well i got to crash out as i get up early (4.00 A.M.) to go to the gym so take care Dana !!
She can correct me if I'm wrong, but Romanian is a Romance language, akin to Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and Latin....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe