Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2021, 12:47 PM

573 posts, read 335,404 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are looking to find the best (meaning the safest and least mountain road, least snow/ice possibility) route to Taos Ski Valley from Amarillo, TX. I would appreciate any advice!

1. 87 to 412 to 58 to 64 route that goes near Angel Fire to 150, or
2. I40 to 104 to Las Vegas then up 518 to 240 then 150.

The 1st one seems the least amount of mountain driving.

Oh, and this is the week after Christmas - thank you!!!

https://goo.gl/maps/87EKnoENhb1ap8z27

Then we'll head to Sante Fe for one of our regular vacations there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 08:51 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
We can't know what the conditions will be at the time you are traveling. Check nmroads.com before you leave for the latest conditions. Maybe a skier from Amarillo who has made that trip many times could advise you. I remember once almost sliding off the highway on 64 near Angel Fire on a beautiful sunny morning, but the road surface there was a sheet of ice.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:55 AM

573 posts, read 335,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
We can't know what the conditions will be at the time you are traveling. Check nmroads.com before you leave for the latest conditions. Maybe a skier from Amarillo who has made that trip many times could advise you. I remember once almost sliding off the highway on 64 near Angel Fire on a beautiful sunny morning, but the road surface there was a sheet of ice.
Thanks! I'll put in a reminder to myself to check that site prior to leaving for Amarillo and TSV.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:50 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
From one of my other NM forums, the general consensus is to take the first route you mention that goes from Clayton to Eagle Nest. An option on that route is whether to go through Raton and then back down on Highway 64 to Cimmaron whether than going through Springer. The Raton route is a little longer but the road is a much better 4 land highway with cell service along much of the route. Of course, as aries63 mentioned, checking road conditions in the winter is always a good idea. I will send you a private message with some specifics.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:03 AM
CII

152 posts, read 223,689 times
Least mountain driving would be to drive to Santa Fe and then go up to Espanola. Take 285 toward Ojo Caliente and Chama, past Ojo Caliente, turn off on 567 toward Pillar and Taos. At the T crossing turn left toward Taos (Not right toward Pilar!) and drive to highway 64 and turn right toward Taos. All paved with some two lanes but not much traffic.

It sounds circuitous but we have steeper mountain driving than that here in Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe